MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Craig

Malaysia Airlines NS19 Changes

I was weird that KK is booming with Korean air carrier for Seoul route but MH didnt serve the route even as a charter.

Probably it doesn't meet mab corporate objective or kpi.

I was weird that KK is booming with Korean air carrier for Seoul route but MH didnt serve the route even as a charter.

MH did try with their then newer 737-800s back in 2010, 3 times per week, but that didn't last long.

I heard OD is testing the waters for BKI-ICN sector on charter basis, it might end up being a scheduled one soon if the numbers work correctly in their way. However its sad that MH is not taking advantage of the Korean invasion.

Edited by Pall

It's not that feasible when MH is operating a non-hub route on a twice weekly service. I am not sure if cabin crew can do a turnaround at NRT (I doubt it - that's 14 hour work day) but pilots will need to stay in TYO (and MH doesn't have a bunch of 737 pilots sitting around). And worse if they do not have any pilots/crew based in BKI to operate such flights.

Other changes:

Kuala Lumpur - Osaka Seasonal increase from 7 to 10 weekly flights for March and April 2019

MH7206 1330KUL - KIX2100 567 333

MH7207 2340KIX - KUL0545+1 567 333

Kuala Lumpur - Bangkok Frequency increase from 42 to 44 weekly services

MH798 0705KUL - BKK0820 13 738

MH799 0920BKK - KUL1235 13 738

Also, MH 782/783 will see its A333 service increase from 2 to 4 weekly (day 3457 on A333)

Kuala Lumpur - Jakarta MH720/721 will remain A332 for NS19

It's not that feasible when MH is operating a non-hub route on a twice weekly service. I am not sure if cabin crew can do a turnaround at NRT (I doubt it - that's 14 hour work day) but pilots will need to stay in TYO (and MH doesn't have a bunch of 737 pilots sitting around). And worse if they do not have any pilots/crew based in BKI to operate such flights.

BKI-NRT vice versa 738 crew do not get night stop. Usually they will be paxing(so called rest sleeping on Y seats for cabin crew and j seats for pilots) on widebody back to KUL or paxing the other way to NRT if they were tasked to do NRT-BKI.

For KUL to NRT, Widebody crew do have nightstop pattern but is rare to get as most will be getting the paxing roster. KIX has regular nightstop though.

During Muelers tenure he proposed setting up a BKi based for Sabah based crews and it was greatly received. Nearly 30-50 crews apply even those from Widebody willing to go down to the 737 for it. These crew have houses in kk and there's no nid for mab to fork out anything for hotels or allowances. But as usual no input from management and mueler also left. Most Sabah based pilots have run to AK. As AK made a promise that they'll be based in BKI during interviews. Majority of them now based in kk and are happy.

Many oversights from mab management throughout the years.

Edited by jahur

BKI-NRT vice versa 738 crew do not get night stop. Usually they will be paxing(so called rest sleeping on Y seats for cabin crew and j seats for pilots) on widebody back to KUL or paxing the other way to NRT if they were tasked to do NRT-BKI.

For KUL to NRT, Widebody crew do have nightstop pattern but is rare to get as most will be getting the paxing roster. KIX has regular nightstop though.

During Muelers tenure he proposed setting up a BKi based for Sabah based crews and it was greatly received. Nearly 30-50 crews apply even those from Widebody willing to go down to the 737 for it. These crew have houses in kk and there's no nid for mab to fork out anything for hotels or allowances. But as usual no input from management and mueler also left. Most Sabah based pilots have run to AK. As AK made a promise that they'll be based in BKI during interviews. Majority of them now based in kk and are happy.

Many oversights from mab management throughout the years.

Having crew based in BKI is certainly the most logical plan for MH, besides they already have Maswings operating out of BKI on behalf of the group. Upgauge that unit to become a LCC operating jets to North Asia would solve the gap.

I am confused. When MH flies these thin routes, people here complain that it's doing it for the . When MH suspends the route, MH

I totally forgot about deadheading crew both ways (but still inefficient staff roster).

More importantly, I didn't realize they deadhead crew for KUL-NRT flights. That seems a little odd considering there are 12 weekly flights and I doubt staff are happy about deadheading on MH88 to work on MH89 a few hours later. My MH89 crew told me they spent a night in NRT.

I totally forgot about deadheading crew both ways (but still inefficient staff roster).

More importantly, I didn't realize they deadhead crew for KUL-NRT flights. That seems a little odd considering there are 12 weekly flights and I doubt staff are happy about deadheading on MH88 to work on MH89 a few hours later. My MH89 crew told me they spent a night in NRT.

In the old days NRT was always a nightstop sector. Nowadays you would have to see which Nrt pattern you would get. If it's the bad which nowadays is normal pretty rare to get more relaxing pattern, then well most crew would just endure it. Edited by jahur

In the old days NRT was always a nightstop sector. Nowadays you would have to see which Nrt pattern you would get. If it's the bad which nowadays is normal pretty rare to get more relaxing pattern, then well most crew would just endure it.

My old days was July of 2018 🙊

I am still surprised they deadhead crew to/from NRT/KUL. I know airlines deadhead crew but usually its because of less than 3 weekly flights or because of safety issues at destination. What about ICN where they have the same amount of flights and similar flying time?

Loads of korean tourists to BKI and non serviced by MH sounds like, quoting a minister, another "zero dollar tourism".

MH did try with their then newer 737-800s back in 2010, 3 times per week, but that didn't last long.

And before that they did the KUL-KCH-BKI-SEL and KUL-BKI-SEL 'bendies' for a few years, on their own without competition

Somehow MH managed to 'rationalized' the route as being non viable and abruptly pulled out, whilst the Korean carriers started to make their presence (after testing market with seasonal charters)

Current state of affairs would indicate that Malaysians (MH management anyway) and South Koreans have very differing definitions of the term 'rational' :D

I bet our neighbor has a similar forum called Thaiwings and they are discussing how MH, OD, AK flies KUL-HKT multiple times a day but zero on TG. Or Aussiewings where MH, OD, D7 flies multiple daily flights to SYD, MEL, PER but QF/JQ can't make a single flight work.

And before that they did the KUL-KCH-BKI-SEL and KUL-BKI-SEL 'bendies' for a few years, on their own without competition

Somehow MH managed to 'rationalized' the route as being non viable and abruptly pulled out, whilst the Korean carriers started to make their presence (after testing market with seasonal charters)

Current state of affairs would indicate that Malaysians (MH management anyway) and South Koreans have very differing definitions of the term 'rational' :D

Or maybe it's a case of Koreans having an affinity for Korean products unlike Malaysians who would go out of their way NOT to use Malaysian products.

The fact that even AK/D7 is absent from the route shows how it's not a lucrative market to serve.

Or maybe it's a case of Koreans having an affinity for Korean products unlike Malaysians who would go out of their way NOT to use Malaysian products.

The fact that even AK/D7 is absent from the route shows how it's not a lucrative market to serve.

Agreed with this. before this my ex-company dealing with a Korean base travel agent, they require all the tourism spot operator is run by Korean themselves. instead of locals operator.

which now alerted our Sabah Tourism board too. ie from the bus manufacturer (which now they accepted local bus or japan manufacturer), restaurant (korean cuisine is still their first priority), souvenirs/shopping stops, tour guides....

Or maybe Malaysian and South Korean carriers operate under different circumstances. What works for one carrier doesn't necessarily work for the other.

Why do MH/D7 have up to 5 daily KUL-ICN flights collectively while KE manages only 1, and OZ none at all?

I bet our neighbor has a similar forum called Thaiwings and they are discussing how MH, OD, AK flies KUL-HKT multiple times a day but zero on TG. Or Aussiewings where MH, OD, D7 flies multiple daily flights to SYD, MEL, PER but QF/JQ can't make a single flight work.

Fascinating :D

Within discursions amongst those sites quoted, do you reckon they are either considering measures to overcome current 'imbalance' on those routes, or are commiserating with each other upon fact that no Malaysian carrier could make a successful business case for BKI-South Korea ? :)

I guess the 'lucrative barometer' will need re-calibrating somewhat - though I can relate to the Koreans affinity for things Korean :)

Or maybe Malaysian and South Korean carriers operate under different circumstances. What works for one carrier doesn't necessarily work for the other.

imo the most logical so far :good:

Malaysia Airlines this week opened reservation for Kuala Lumpur – Kochi route, a service resumption to the Indian city for the carrier since May 2015. Effective from 31MAR19, Boeing 737-800 aircraft will operate this route on daily basis.

MH108 KUL2240 – 0001+1COK 738 D

MH109 COK0100 – 0750KUL 738 D

source: airlineroute
Malaysia Airlines in recent schedule update filed additional frequency for Kuala Lumpur – Nanjing route, for summer 2019 season. From 06APR19, a 4th weekly flight will be added on board Boeing 737-800, operating on Saturdays.

MH532 KUL1705 – 2230NKG 738 x135

MH533 NKG2335 – 0510+1KUL 738 x135

source: airlineroute

So its strengthening china & reinstate india + re-open OZ (bne). Those 3 markets. Is there any news on MH reinstate FUK or NGO? I recalled long time ago MH used to serve those 2 cities.

MH is essentially like Aer Lingus - heavily beaten by competition including a large low cost carrier based at your home hub. Now it has retreated to a regional Carrier with a couple of long haul routes. Hope that things work out but I have been hoping for the last 28 years

MH is essentially like Aer Lingus - heavily beaten by competition including a large low cost carrier based at your home hub. Now it has retreated to a regional Carrier with a couple of long haul routes. Hope that things work out but I have been hoping for the last 28 years

SQ fly to HND. Probably MH can consider it no matter there will be a high competition from AAX.

SQ fly to HND. Probably MH can consider it no matter there will be a high competition from AAX.

MH would love to fly to HND (probably would want to shift their entire operations to HND), but Malaysia-Japan bilateral doesn't allow any more HND flights. It is restricted to one night-time slot for both countries (which is a pity because almost all other SEA countries have 1 if not more daytime slots: SG, TH, VN, PH, ID). When the first daytime slots were announced, Malaysia couldn't get any daytime slots because there weren't any Japanese carriers flying HND-KUL then.

Malaysia along with a few other countries is expected to get more daytime slots at HND (~50-60 daytime slots is available from 2020). Japan will announce the slot decision later this year. The question is how many daytime slots will Malaysia get (and I assume a Japanese carrier will need to request a daytime HND-KUL flight too in order for Malaysia carriers to get a daytime slot) and also, how will Mavcom allocate the daytime slot if Malaysia only receives 1.

Was the slot "stolen" the one they flew from BKI (or was it?)?

i dont think so. as BKI still no flight to HND atm. and schedule flight to Japan only NRT by MAS.

Was the slot "stolen" the one they flew from BKI (or was it?)?

i dont think so. as BKI still no flight to HND atm. and schedule flight to Japan only NRT by MAS.

Yes it was. Note that AirAsia started daily flights to HND when MH ended their BKI-HND flights.

Sign in to follow this