MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Chris Tan

Form group of experts to review MAS, says ex-boss

I thought we all want it to be profitable.

I want it to maintain the current price/service ratio. The profitability is secondary (to me). The fact that it bleeds and the government has to bail it out is unfortunate, but if you buy enough cheapies (and there have been many), essentially the rest of the non-travelling/infrequent travelling Malaysian tax paying public is subsidizing you.

I'm not so much an Aviation Enthusiast but a bargain hunter, and the current status quo is precisely where I need it to be. One size doesn't fit all, I grant you, but it does for some.

While we're cherry picking examples, my MH ticket for BKK-KUL (on an A330, no less) was THB2500 less than TG. So I guess we can conclude that TG as officially gone nuts with its pricing. And I'm looking forward to finishing 3/4 of a movie and catching a 10 minute nap while enjoying the luxuries of this superjumbo.

What's TG's equipment?

I have flown on the air berlin akl/kul/akl 6 times now and i find the plane in much better condition then MHs own 330s.Much cleaner overall and great IFE just touch screen and no remote thingy.

Personally i prefer the new service that they do on the 332 (they cant carry 2 meal svc eqpt on the 332) so one of the service is via meal box,an orange,up & go drink ex akl/water bottle ex kul,a super mini choc(perfect) and so on.All handed out ala cart,no tray.Even the crew i spoke to prefers that.

Also previously they used to call this airline Delay-sia air as flights out of Auckland always delay by an hour or more due inbound flight delay.But since the 332,the aircraft layovers auckland from noon to 10pm so no delay whatsoever anymore.

What's TG's equipment?

Usually thse days, 773 for the day flight and 77W for the evening one. That said, this is TG. So, at certain times, the 77W may be replaced by the 359, and not unusual too for the 744 to make a cameo for either flight. The 787 has also done the same in the past.

So, expect the 773 (normal or ER versions), but otherwise, could be any widebody really.

I have flown on the air berlin akl/kul/akl 6 times now and i find the plane in much better condition then MHs own 330s.Much cleaner overall and great IFE just touch screen and no remote thingy.

Personally i prefer the new service that they do on the 332 (they cant carry 2 meal svc eqpt on the 332) so one of the service is via meal box,an orange,up & go drink ex akl/water bottle ex kul,a super mini choc(perfect) and so on.All handed out ala cart,no tray.Even the crew i spoke to prefers that.

Also previously they used to call this airline Delay-sia air as flights out of Auckland always delay by an hour or more due inbound flight delay.But since the 332,the aircraft layovers auckland from noon to 10pm so no delay whatsoever anymore.

How was d load on kul-akl & akl-kul?

Korrekt ;)

The ex-AB 332 hard product is much better in J than MH 333 (other than row 1 on MH). It's long enough for me to sleep with my legs straight (where as MH 333 requires bending my knees to sleep) and I am not a fan of the cubby hole in J (row 1 is great tho). And for Y pax, the first few rows of ex-AB 332 are extra legroom seats (more like UA Y+ or AA MCE) and I don't believe MH charges for those seats unlike the first 3 rows of Y (Y+?) on the 350.

IFE is better quality/resolution and way better UI than MH's 333, especially the rewind 10s button on the screen (much better than the 2x/4x etc. rewind function). It's almost identical to SAS' IFE UI and I love that UI.

IIRC, the crew told me that the 332s only have enough galley space for 1 meal service, hence the double red-eye on AKL flights (which I think works better connection wise on both ends). MH 132 (previous midnight redeye ex-AKL) was also severely delayed most of the time (never knew it was called Delay-sia), but it has abysmal OTP (my flight was delayed for 1.5 hours, so a 02:30 departure ex-AKL was no fun) due to short turnaround time (IIRC MH scheduled 75 minutes turnaround).

Edited by Craig

Sign in to follow this