MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Chris Tan

Form group of experts to review MAS, says ex-boss

Definitely not exepecting MAB to do any revamp or whatever overhaul on cabin interior, but at least do a proper maintainenace, else I believe sometimes down tbe road they would end up with the same state as MASwings of having the need to spend millions to overhaul the cabin due to torn seats and dated cabin!

With the much reduced benefits for domestic flights coupled with much higher "promo fares", plus a possible cancellation anytime due to ongoing crew issue with "lucky draw" on LCC like cabin, it simply not justify the price that they charge now.

Took a flight earlier this month during one of the Public Holiday, slightly over 50% load only, that should imply something I believe.

With the much reduced benefits for domestic flights coupled with much higher "promo fares", plus a possible cancellation anytime due to ongoing crew issue with "lucky draw" on LCC like cabin, it simply not justify the price that they charge now.

Apart from the reduction in baggage allowance, I don't know what benefits were reduced by "much". I sill get a delightful pack of peanuts and a sugar-filled cup of orange fruit drink.

Perhaps those with the expertise can chime in on whether cutting the baggage allowance is better than raising fares. Because clearly, they can't seem to do anything that the members here seem to approve of.

Took a flight earlier this month during one of the Public Holiday, slightly over 50% load only, that should imply something I believe.

That a sample size of one is a terrible example? Edited by Chris Tan

Apart from the reduction in baggage allowance, I don't know what benefits were reduced by "much". I sill get a delightful pack of peanuts and a sugar-filled cup of orange fruit drink.

Perhaps those with the expertise can chime in on whether cutting the baggage allowance is better than raising fares. Because clearly, they can't seem to do anything that the members here seem to approve of.

That a sample size of one is a terrible example?

I just want to imply that you cannot have both side of the world, cutting baggage allowance on the left while rising the fares on the right when you know that your home market is a price sensitive one. Labelling a RM 500++ return flight to KUL from East Malaysia as MATTA fares promo is simply a joke, one might better of buying AK premium flex with that price. Just gonna lose more market share to the red camp. I am a neutral passenger and members here, in fact I am still holding the Enrich co-brand card.

In its current state do you think MAB really want (or need) to increase budget on revamping cabin and IFE?

Would be a joke if they go about redoing the 738 interiors now :D

From the above discussions here it just shows how difficult it is to position MH. Keyboard warriors like us can't even have common ground to agree on - imagine what it is like to make decisions at MH! They really need to use big data techniques to understand the requirements of their customer base - over the years Airasia has skillfully used their data to refine their revenue base.

Japan Airlines is a good example of determination to restore profits to the airline. Qantas is another example. In both cases, it was necessary for the airline to make very painful decisions. MAB has not taken the real painful decisions to its core yet. They have used up their RM 6b cash injection and they are still unable to break even, let alone make a profit. The management needs to reassess their business position.

The new government will think long and hard about bailing them out again because they have been bailed out so many times in the past and their financial position is still weak. They need to run a sustainable operation - otherwise, it is best to do an Airasia and sell them off at RM 1 to a buyer....

Edited by flee

Fun fact a lot of regular Singaporeans and Indonesians don't fly on SQ or Garuda no more unless it's office, gov warrant or work travel as fares are extorbitant for them. The regular folks even take up MH due to promo fares.

In Malaysia, corporations and gov agency are switching to AK and co on even manager levels. As MYR and other currency are taking a dump with high fuel prices, this is affecting how airlines in Malaysia will set the base fares. While many can afford to travel nowadays due to lcc, the demand and volume is just not there to support mabs requirement to transition back to a real full service carrier anytime soon.

The same can be said about Hong Kong business and investments are moving to Guangzhou, Shenzhen and xiamen it's killing Cathay Pacific corporate travel plus nextdoor China southern and Xiamen airlines are one of the few canddiates out to upgrade it's hard product and services while fares are still cheaper than CX and are actively stealing their crew and customers. Hong Kongers are always very pissy when it comes to these neighboring cities.

Take away that one row of F to LHR and the VVIPs will now have a legitimate reason to fly another airline. THAT's a wasted opportunity. You'll be surprised by how much revenue F brings in. Many of us don't pay top dollar to fly in F but there are people who do.

The F seat isn't as bad as what some people say after looking at pictures. Sure, it's not SQ Suites or EY Residence, but an airline like MH should be more focused on competing against D7 Flatbed anyway ;)

You're missing the point. You're speaking as if all the four seats are taken on most flights. You'd be surprised how much revenue F does NOT bring if you're privy to the numbers...

Truth is, so-called VVIPs aren't very important in the bigger scale of airline revenue generation. If they flock to OALs' so be it. Sooner or later F cabin will be non-existent anyway ;) ;) ;)

From the above discussions here it just shows how difficult it is to position MH. Keyboard warriors like us can't even have common ground to agree on - imagine what it is like to make decisions at MH! They really need to use big data techniques to understand the requirements of their customer base - over the years Airasia has skillfully used their data to refine their revenue base.

Japan Airlines is a good example of determination to restore profits to the airline. Qantas is another example. In both cases, it was necessary for the airline to make very painful decisions. MAB has not taken the real painful decisions to its core yet. They have used up their RM 6b cash injection and they are still unable to break even, let alone make a profit. The management needs to reassess their business position.

The new government will think long and hard about bailing them out again because they have been bailed out so many times in the past and their financial position is still weak. They need to run a sustainable operation - otherwise, it is best to do an Airasia and sell them off at RM 1 to a buyer....

On the revenue side, MAB is still plagued by relatively poor booking class mix year after year, the sheer size of the lower classes bring the average down. They are still selling hard and not selling smart. It's a brute force approach on the market instead of a surgical one. Low penetration rate of internet bookings also compounds the problem with high cost of sales. Also non-fuel costs are not as low as they wished it to be.

You're missing the point. You're speaking as if all the four seats are taken on most flights. You'd be surprised how much revenue F does NOT bring if you're privy to the numbers...

And if you're privy to the numbers then you'll agree that ripping out that row of F and replacing it with J will do little more than water down the load factors of the latter :)

Speaking on LCC vs FSC, current state of affairs in the aspects of passenger experience with MH is at all time low. It feels a lot better to fly on an LCC vs MH especially on the their narrowbody.

For example, I've noticed lately if you were to purchase 2 or more tickets on a same booking number/PNR, assuming you do not pay for advance seat selection (from RM15), upon web check-in 48hrs prior, the likelihood of pax being displaced to be seated far apart is about 75% based on the last dozen of flights I've taken with MH. Although the flight is empty/low load, seats will be purposely blocked for selection during online web check-in, changes can only be done at the check-in counter 24hrs before. This can make the travel experience be less pleasant especially for couples travelling together or a group. This is far worse off than AirAsia which offer up to 14 days advance web check-in, and if you check in early with AK, you will be seated next to each other for the same booking number ala first come first serve basis. Even Malindo will show all available seats online and selection is based on first come first serve basis during web check-in, seats will never be purposely blocked. One of the many reasons I'm avoiding MH these days when possible.

Do MH need experts to solve simple no brainier issues like this?

Speaking on LCC vs FSC, current state of affairs in the aspects of passenger experience with MH is at all time low. It feels a lot better to fly on an LCC vs MH especially on the their narrowbody.

For example, I've noticed lately if you were to purchase 2 or more tickets on a same booking number/PNR, assuming you do not pay for advance seat selection (from RM15), upon web check-in 48hrs prior, the likelihood of pax being displaced to be seated far apart is about 75% based on the last dozen of flights I've taken with MH. Although the flight is empty/low load, seats will be purposely blocked for selection during online web check-in, changes can only be done at the check-in counter 24hrs before. This can make the travel experience be less pleasant especially for couples travelling together or a group. This is far worse off than AirAsia which offer up to 14 days advance web check-in, and if you check in early with AK, you will be seated next to each other for the same booking number ala first come first serve basis. Even Malindo will show all available seats online and selection is based on first come first serve basis during web check-in, seats will never be purposely blocked. One of the many reasons I'm avoiding MH these days when possible.

Afaik only two emergency exit row(12seats) are always not selectable on online check in. Been noted previously the emergency exits were assigned to pax who have no knowledge in operating the emergency exits or are physically unable to do so. Crew have been filling safety reports over and over for in hoping the seats will be offered more carefully by check in. As a result these rows are only selectable on counter check in. I also noticed that whenever I fly on multi transit leg they will always give passengers like us the emergency exit row seats and we have to check in over the counter as we cant check in online. Maybe that's how the system sets. But there's still trouble as the seats are open up during advance seection where seat purchase is involve so crew still have switch pax over.

Apart from the above mentioned specific rows of seats, few seats on last row are also ones blocked. In business class front row seat A and B are usually not available.

Edited by jahur

Historically, mh it department/vendor programming skills is poor; algorithm used is more to simplify programmer's job than for user friendly, and head/team leader has limited exposure/experience with other airlines booking engine.

Historically, mh it department/vendor programming skills is poor; algorithm used is more to simplify programmer's job than for user friendly, and head/team leader has limited exposure/experience with other airlines booking engine.

This I agree. Dozen of daily useless emails being sent to everyone which is a nuisance. E.g one email which is actually only for staffs in Dept A but instead it gets send over to Dept A to Z there's not much filtering. Dept designs an app(not sure how much budgeting is put into) to ease staff workload by removing the need of paperwork but in the end staffs are still required to do paperwork meaning theyre doing two things instead of one which makes the app redundant but they're still forcing people to use the app. It's stuff like these that are causing people to leave as well.

As I travel short distance at most, i felt no longer in need to fly with MH unless it is cheaper compared to AK. MH used to be my first choice, but for the past one year, service wise, it is comparable to AK for flight less than 3 hours. Better flexibility in terms of frequency and at some point food is better on AK compared to MH. These days the option for seat selection is very limited to only less to 5 seats in MH based on my experience if you check in at self service kiosk. To my notice, many seats are indeed available, and I need to request to change my seat over the counter. Too much hassle. Am I the only one? Some more, I really hate those non IFE 738, especially for flight more than 3 hours. I really wish MH can shine again like its glorious years, still hoping though.

Quality of meals at MH domestic routes also no longer what it was back in 90s. Remember that 'Nasi Lemak Telanjang' instagram post by Chef Wan - that says it all.

AK has superior meal and beverage selections despite paying extra cash for it.

Quality of meals at MH domestic routes also no longer what it was back in 90s. Remember that 'Nasi Lemak Telanjang' instagram post by Chef Wan - that says it all.

AK has superior meal and beverage selections despite paying extra cash for it.

Yes i agree, AK meal almost never failed to impress me despite need to pay.

As I travel short distance at most, i felt no longer in need to fly with MH unless it is cheaper compared to AK. MH used to be my first choice, but for the past one year, service wise, it is comparable to AK for flight less than 3 hours. Better flexibility in terms of frequency and at some point food is better on AK compared to MH. These days the option for seat selection is very limited to only less to 5 seats in MH based on my experience if you check in at self service kiosk. To my notice, many seats are indeed available, and I need to request to change my seat over the counter. Too much hassle. Am I the only one? Some more, I really hate those non IFE 738, especially for flight more than 3 hours. I really wish MH can shine again like its glorious years, still hoping though.

Previously during my cancelled flight in July, check in sequence number is only 38, but only left 3 seats for me to choose around and all 3 middle seats somemore. Subsequently, when i rebooked the flight for September, only 10+ seats available to choose when in fact the load is only about 60%. So yes, I seconded on the seats selection thing. Maybe is mandatory to pay for a "pretty" seat now on Malaysia Airlines.

Just had several flights on MH B738 and once on the ex-Berlin A332... I have not been on MH international service for as long as 11 years now........ I was quite surprised that MH is lagging behind so much when compared to CX, QF and SQ.

I must say I found the IFE on B737-800 pretty laggy and unresponsive...

I fly MH because the price is right. Sure, I may not be the highest-yielding customer, but I don't complain when the IFE system isn't as revolutionary as KrisWorld or StudioCX (which is overrated IMHO). And I don't think it's the end of the world when I don't get a BSI-equipped plane on a flight that's much too short to finish a movie or admire the fancy mood lighting.

For now, I still think I get decent value out of what I pay. If I have pennies to spare, I might splurge on SQ/CX/QF. They might be better than MH in many ways but I can't afford to fly with them all the time.

I'm sure some would dream about MH revolutionizing the industry for once with 34" pitch in Y, an IFE system that puts EK's ICE to shame, gourmet meals with fine wines, a J product with suites and sliding doors, etc. And I'm sure many would yearn to see MH get sky-high yields to rival SQ. But if my income can't keep up with that, then the closest I'll get to flying MH is reading trip reports (and then becoming an expert based on what I read), watching YouTube videos, or capturing their 32R departures with my DSLR.

I fly MH because the price is right. Sure, I may not be the highest-yielding customer, but I don't complain when the IFE system isn't as revolutionary as KrisWorld or StudioCX (which is overrated IMHO). And I don't think it's the end of the world when I don't get a BSI-equipped plane on a flight that's much too short to finish a movie or admire the fancy mood lighting.

For now, I still think I get decent value out of what I pay. If I have pennies to spare, I might splurge on SQ/CX/QF. They might be better than MH in many ways but I can't afford to fly with them all the time.

I'm sure some would dream about MH revolutionizing the industry for once with 34" pitch in Y, an IFE system that puts EK's ICE to shame, gourmet meals with fine wines, a J product with suites and sliding doors, etc. And I'm sure many would yearn to see MH get sky-high yields to rival SQ. But if my income can't keep up with that, then the closest I'll get to flying MH is reading trip reports (and then becoming an expert based on what I read), watching YouTube videos, or capturing their 32R departures with my DSLR.

Airlines in a way overlapped with hospitality industry. Yield (e.g average room rate) normally match with service level and facilities/amenities provided. Before mh or any hotel could consistently deliver expected service, facilities and amenities, few customers are willing to pay top dollar or more than it deserves.

Like hotels, demands for 3 star is higher than 5 star. There is nothing wrong to position in 3 star category, as long as it could make money.

One common habit mh have with many local businesses is, it tend to over promised and under delivered. Hence, experience often doesn't match expectations i.e complaint.

I would like to chip in on the seat selection issue and completely in agreement with Shazmiey and CH Teo above.

Flew MH3 last Friday with only seat 20K was available for selection in the 220 seats Y cabin on the A359.

When I completed the online check-in process, my sequence number on the boarding pass was 39.

I find it strange that the entire cabin is blocked despite only 17% of the seats were actually occupied at the time of my check-in.

On to exhibit the inconsistencies of the product:

- Paid RM395 for KUL-BKI on the overwhelmingly undesirable LCC config 9M-FFF.

- Paid RM374 for LBU-KUL on a BSI IFE config 9M-MXS.

One can't help to think of being ripped-off on the KUL-BKI sector.

i believe the ticket pricing is dynamically managed. i bet the system wouldn't know which aircraft serving that route, so the pricing is solely decided by the sector book % etc. of course, MH need some consistency in their product line up.

Price have also gone up. Kul-bkk 2hour sectors cost rm650++ now while tg is still offering rm455 on widebody. Months ago you could still get them at rm360++ on mh. Bki-kul round leg now cost rm700++ cheapest and fares are fix in up to next year so booking advance does not guaranteed lower rates now. Sometimes booking last min the fares remains the same.

Edited by jahur

I would like to chip in on the seat selection issue and completely in agreement with Shazmiey and CH Teo above.

Flew MH3 last Friday with only seat 20K was available for selection in the 220 seats Y cabin on the A359.

When I completed the online check-in process, my sequence number on the boarding pass was 39.

I find it strange that the entire cabin is blocked despite only 17% of the seats were actually occupied at the time of my check-in.

On to exhibit the inconsistencies of the product:

- Paid RM395 for KUL-BKI on the overwhelmingly undesirable LCC config 9M-FFF.

- Paid RM374 for LBU-KUL on a BSI IFE config 9M-MXS.

One can't help to think of being ripped-off on the KUL-BKI sector.

Had this same issue with my recent flights with MH. Seats were blocked or shown occupied during seat selection when you check-in online. When you turned up for the flight, many surrounding seats are unoccupied. I think this is a tactic to get you to pay for the seats. You are only allowed to a handful of seat choices during online check-in.

I get this with my recent flights with Qantas as well, they purposely block out many seats which are found to be unoccupied once you are in the aircraft.

I really dislike those laggy IFE on the B737-800s. They are so laggy that it is becoming a waste of time. May be thats the way ancient IFE used to be, but since then the competitors have upped their game....

There is so many aircraft sitting on the tarmac too... two A380s doing nothing in KUL. The recently leased in A330-200s too........ do not seemed to be doing much. Our aircraft, 9M-MTW, was only doing KUL-HKG and HKG-KUL for the day and the next day....... Surely they can be better utilised!

Edited by S V Choong

Price have also gone up. Kul-bkk 2hour sectors cost rm650++ now while tg is still offering rm455 on widebody. Months ago you could still get them at rm360++ on mh. Bki-kul round leg now cost rm700++ cheapest and fares are fix in up to next year so booking advance does not guaranteed lower rates now. Sometimes booking last min the fares remains the same.

While we're cherry picking examples, my MH ticket for BKK-KUL (on an A330, no less) was THB2500 less than TG. So I guess we can conclude that TG as officially gone nuts with its pricing. And I'm looking forward to finishing 3/4 of a movie and catching a 10 minute nap while enjoying the luxuries of this superjumbo.

Most regular travellers will know that booking early has never guaranteed a "lower rate". Many MH promos often have a relatively short advance booking period, so I don't know how we can conclude that prices have gone up across the board just because their preferred route isn't on sale travel several months in advance.

Even if fares did go up, I'm sure the regulars here will rejoice, because that should mean higher RASK and yields and stuff like that.

While we're cherry picking examples, my MH ticket for BKK-KUL (on an A330, no less) was THB2500 less than TG. So I guess we can conclude that TG as officially gone nuts with its pricing. And I'm looking forward to finishing 3/4 of a movie and catching a 10 minute nap while enjoying the luxuries of this superjumbo.

Most regular travellers will know that booking early has never guaranteed a "lower rate". Many MH promos often have a relatively short advance booking period, so I don't know how we can conclude that prices have gone up across the board just because their preferred route isn't on sale travel several months in advance.

Even if fares did go up, I'm sure the regulars here will rejoice, because that should mean higher RASK and yields and stuff like that.

Haha. I second that.

BKI may be perceived to be pricey that normal but I bagged a RM183/sector for KUL-BKI vv two weeks ago for travel in mid Oct. And this was available for a few flights during the day and across several days across several weeks. Obviously, it didnt stay at that pricing level that long because MH needs higher RASK and yields. I thought we all want it to be profitable.

Sign in to follow this