MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

AirAsia Group/AirAsia X Group Service Changes

Any reason why KIX-HNL sector didnt carry the same flight number as KUL-KIX?

Its the same - KUL-KIX-HNL is D7 1 while the return flight is D7 2.

Wah, flagship route for D7. I wish them all the best!

Flagship route will be London Gatwick though. Gatwick will be more than happy to welcome AirAsiaX again into their fold.

But KIX-HNL is expected to be high yield. Not sure what the KUL-LGW yields will be. It was not enough to sustain it previously.

How likely is KUL-LGW really ?
With numero uno seemingly having splashed cold water unto the 77W plan and what equipment they have available now, anyone reckon they will go ahead anyway with a one stop strategy, absorb the additional costs involved and pray the already ordered more efficient birds arrive sooner rather than later ? Would make one heck of an MBA case study topic on market positioning if they manage to pull it off :)

I think they should focus on KUL-FRA or KUL-FRA-CDG as there are no direct competition. There would be easily 80000 pax to FRA and 130000 to CDG annually as per previous figures reported by AF, LH and MAHB... London would be an overkill as MH and BA have 3 daily flights between them.

Flagship route will be London Gatwick though. Gatwick will be more than happy to welcome AirAsiaX again into their fold.

Well, I thought that the flagship route is always numbered 001 or 002... just like MH to LHR, NG 001 to KUL and SYD (long gone!), BA001 (concorde service - also long gone) and UA001 SFO-SIN

How likely is KUL-LGW really ?

With numero uno seemingly having splashed cold water unto the 77W plan and what equipment they have available now, anyone reckon they will go ahead anyway with a one stop strategy, absorb the additional costs involved and pray the already ordered more efficient birds arrive sooner rather than later ? Would make one heck of an MBA case study topic on market positioning if they manage to pull it off :)

I think it will happen - its not a case of IF but WHEN.

Yes, they have to compare the costs of B777W ops vs one-stop A333 ops and see which one comes out lower.

There is pent up demand for the London route despite the availability of MH and BA services. Not sure why but people seem to believe that D7 can be cheaper!

I think they should focus on KUL-FRA or KUL-FRA-CDG as there are no direct competition. There would be easily 80000 pax to FRA and 130000 to CDG annually as per previous figures reported by AF, LH and MAHB... London would be an overkill as MH and BA have 3 daily flights between them.

Well, I thought that the flagship route is always numbered 001 or 002... just like MH to LHR, NG 001 to KUL and SYD (long gone!), BA001 (concorde service - also long gone) and UA001 SFO-SIN

Well, FRA is assumed to be a business rather than leisure route. Yes, they should do CDG/ORY first because Paris is more a less a gateway into the EU, with great connections on the TGV network. I think the A333 can do KUL-CDG/ORY non stop with some load restriction.

SQ1 is also SIN-SFO - is it their flagship route?

Wah, flagship route for D7. I wish them all the best!

Indeed flagship in terms of flight number. It is the airline's flight no. 1 and 2 yawl.

The most unglam flagship among large airlines is LH's. Flight LH1/2 is a domestic shuttle between Hamburg and Frankfurt.

^^^ Maybe some historical connotation to that route? Anyway, good luck to D7. KIX-HNL shouldn't be a problem in terms of marketing but KUL-HNL would be interesting.

Do wonder though if all this #MuslimBan noise will have an effect on this.

Indeed flagship in terms of flight number. It is the airline's flight no. 1 and 2 yawl.

The most unglam flagship among large airlines is LH's. Flight LH1/2 is a domestic shuttle between Hamburg and Frankfurt.

Yeah, I was in Hamburg the other day and I saw that! Interesting...

AirAsia announces first-ever U.S. destination

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2017/02/10/airasia-announces-fist-ever-us-destination/97754014/

Launch offer return fare from KUL is RM 913, seats only. Luggage, seat selection and food will cost extra.

US visa will cost and extra USD 160, if you don't already have it.

Edited by flee

AirAsia announces first-ever U.S. destination

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2017/02/10/airasia-announces-fist-ever-us-destination/97754014/

Launch offer return fare from KUL is RM 913, seats only. Luggage, seat selection and food will cost extra.

US visa will cost and extra USD 160, if you don't already have it.

Booking is very strong apparently according to TF. 11K seat sold thus far. My friend bought return RM913. I was surprised it was so much cheaper than what I've thought initially.

Hawaii high end holiday destination, USD, 12 hours in cramped A333...nah, no thanks....too poor for premium economy too. Hahaha

Booking is very strong apparently according to TF. 11K seat sold thus far. My friend bought return RM913. I was surprised it was so much cheaper than what I've thought initially.

Hawaii high end holiday destination, USD, 12 hours in cramped A333...nah, no thanks....too poor for premium economy too. Hahaha

They had to price it like that because the US Visa costs RM720, for those who have to apply for it.

Much to my surprise, I survived a KUL-ORY trip. It was not that bad, especially the A343 quiet zone was just behind the cockpit and ahead of the premium angled lie flat seats!

HNL shd be OK too. I survived KUL-AKL too. The HNL launch fare is actually slightly lower than the AKL launch fare!

Well worth the effort (and money spent) for those successfully obtain the 10 year visa despite not so favourable forex rate. I am still pessimistic Malaysia will be included in Visa Waiver Programme though we almost reach the 3% target rejection rate, in light of recent controversial policy by new POTUS.

Much to my surprise, I survived a KUL-ORY trip. It was not that bad, especially the A343 quiet zone was just behind the cockpit and ahead of the premium angled lie flat seats!

HNL shd be OK too. I survived KUL-AKL too. The HNL launch fare is actually slightly lower than the AKL launch fare!

While I can generally deal with D7 seats (with the price i pay), the experience is very much depends on the type of pax onboard. I have encountered pax watching their tablets with loud speakers turn on ! Also, without seatback IFE, pax especially those who are travelling in groups tend to talk to each other more frequent. This is fine if they talk softly but to my experience, most of the cases are the opposite.

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

Read in papers today AK will be doing TWU-JHB vv from 28 April, 4x weekly

Reviving an old route?

Apparently, their JHB hub is now doing pretty well. So I guess they need to expand it by introducing new routes or reviving old ones.

Apparently, their JHB hub is now doing pretty well. So I guess they need to expand it by introducing new routes or reviving old ones.

I hope they add more destinations to Sabah and Sarawak from JHB since MH have none.