MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

Incident: Malaysia A333 at Brisbane on Jul 18th 2018, unreliable airspeed, hydraulic leak

MH ground service at LHR T4 is handled by Azzurra.

http://www.azzurralhr.co.uk/

I noticed a lot of them are Italian.

I was on MH3 on 23/7/18, guess I guess lucky that my flight was on time!!!!

The ground staff, yes you’re right, were of Italian appearance. They spoke with an non UK accent. They were quite rude as well even though i was checking in at J counter due to OW sapphire status.

On international ground, they get hit right, left and center by ME3 and every other premium airlines, on domestic front they get hit by Malindo and AirAsia. MH, why oh why???

As long as they keep those yummy Z fares coming, I am a happy camper.

I cannot think of many instances where getting a lie-flat seat to Australia at the height of the December rush is so affordable :)

On international ground, they get hit right, left and center by ME3 and every other premium airlines, on domestic front they get hit by Malindo and AirAsia. MH, why oh why???

That is business, isn't it? If you cannot deal with the competition, then you deserve to be out of business!

Just a late share of what happened with my flight, MH643, 21/07/18.

Check in was proceeded as usual, after checked in I started to log on to flight24, noted that the incoming flight had no way to be seen; immediately I sensed that something may not be in order.

Went to boarding hall, passengers started to gathered. 8am sharp (where incoming MH2802 should landed), the ETD screen changed to "DELAYED". Some started to ask the ground staffs (I also approached them later on, whereby I said confirmed delayed or not as years ago I had previously experienced of "late incoming aircraft which turned out to be no plane on the way", i.e. flight cancelled). Reason cited was one of the pilot had taken MC, so no replacement flight crew thus aircraft cannot fly; they still trying to locate a replacement crew.

By around 8.35 am, flight24 had shown status as cancelled, I showed it to the ground crew; the looks was like they cant believed their eyes as their system had not yet turned "CANCELLED". Minutes later only announcement came it is indeed confirmed cancelled.

The next story was spending almost 2 hours to get the tickets refunded or re-routed. I chosen the former. Now I really had a no confident vote for their MYY-KCH-MYY sectors (as I plan to redo the trip sometime later), since the aircraft rotation pattern was KCH-MYY-KCH-SIN-KCH-MYY-KCH. With the red cap due to fly 39 weekly, believe they will further dominate the route soon as oppose to 14 weekly by MH.

Yeah..my brother operated MYY-KCH-SIN-KCH this week. 80+pax KCH-SIN but only 28 pax SIN-KCH.

Just a late share of what happened with my flight, MH643, 21/07/18.

Check in was proceeded as usual, after checked in I started to log on to flight24, noted that the incoming flight had no way to be seen; immediately I sensed that something may not be in order.

Went to boarding hall, passengers started to gathered. 8am sharp (where incoming MH2802 should landed), the ETD screen changed to "DELAYED". Some started to ask the ground staffs (I also approached them later on, whereby I said confirmed delayed or not as years ago I had previously experienced of "late incoming aircraft which turned out to be no plane on the way", i.e. flight cancelled). Reason cited was one of the pilot had taken MC, so no replacement flight crew thus aircraft cannot fly; they still trying to locate a replacement crew.

By around 8.35 am, flight24 had shown status as cancelled, I showed it to the ground crew; the looks was like they cant believed their eyes as their system had not yet turned "CANCELLED". Minutes later only announcement came it is indeed confirmed cancelled.

The next story was spending almost 2 hours to get the tickets refunded or re-routed. I chosen the former. Now I really had a no confident vote for their MYY-KCH-MYY sectors (as I plan to redo the trip sometime later), since the aircraft rotation pattern was KCH-MYY-KCH-SIN-KCH-MYY-KCH. With the red cap due to fly 39 weekly, believe they will further dominate the route soon as oppose to 14 weekly by MH.

Until cancelled? So what happen to the subsequent flights after that? Cancelled as well?

Until cancelled? So what happen to the subsequent flights after that? Cancelled as well?

Nope, "amazingly" the afternoon run of KCH-MYY-KCH did fly. I believed they did managed to did that last minutes as they dont offer rerouted to the afternoon run on the same day, instead many were given maswings' 9pm+ departure run. SIN run both side were cancelled.

This article is incorrect in attributing it to mud dauber wasps. The big issue, localised to BNE at the moment, is an exotic pest from South America, the Keyhole Wasp. This little bugger will block a pitot in ten to fifteeen minutes. Much research is being done by one of the operators on the special hazards of this. At BNE something resembling a pitot tree may be seen, a pole mounted with test pitot to evaluate the threat. All operators should be made aware of the unusual situation at BNE.

This article is incorrect in attributing it to mud dauber wasps. The big issue, localised to BNE at the moment, is an exotic pest from South America, the Keyhole Wasp. This little bugger will block a pitot in ten to fifteeen minutes. Much research is being done by one of the operators on the special hazards of this. At BNE something resembling a pitot tree may be seen, a pole mounted with test pitot to evaluate the threat. All operators should be made aware of the unusual situation at BNE.

Article regarding the incident

Wasp headache continues for airlines at Brisbane Airport

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/wasp-headache-continues-for-airlines-at-brisbane-airport-20180830-p500pw.html

However the MAS A330 Brisbane incident was different in that the pitot covers were Not Removed before flight. This is the worst lapse of safety.

Australian air crash investigators have issued a safety warning about pre-flight inspections of pitot tubes after a Malaysia Airlines jet took off with covers still on the crucial airspeed devices despite multiple opportunities to detect them.

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/investigators-issue-safety-warning-malaysia-airlines-pitot-cover-incident/

You can see in the pictures burn marks from pitot heat on the pitot tube covers.

Wasp problems aside how did the covers go missed during the walkaround?

You can see in the pictures burn marks from pitot heat on the pitot tube covers.

Wasp problems aside how did the covers go missed during the walkaround?

Everyone makes mistakes - I suspect the root cause is dilution of responsibility and poor teamwork due to use of contract labour.

With regard to the scorched covers, I've seen this require replacement of pitots a few times, as there is no ICA to allow for "sanding" the burnt material off. Expensive at USD22,000 each! Changing to glass fibre lined covers stopped that, but then resulted in pitot problems from broken off pies of glass fibre. These Kevlar ones look to be a good solution.

Where I have more freedom, I use pitot covers that allow functionality if they are forgotten. Some have springloaded vanes, I prefer simple tubes with cross pins to prevent wasp entry, but which still allow air in.

do not agree with saying that "everyone make mistakes" in this case. Yes people do make mistakes but for such checks and especially when dealing with aircraft and flight safety, this must not happen. There's the MH ground engineer who did the ground checks before the flight and 2 others who are from MAS agent (but who are not technically trained for this). And then there's the pilot who does the walk around to ensure all is ok. Hence all these 2 critical person missed the bright red covers with the tag "Remove before flight" on the side of the cockpit? How can they not see it? Unless they are just not focus and going through the motion without really opening their eyes. There's about 250 lives onboard and fortunately this flight made it back safely with the assistance of air traffic control - unlike the air france plane with faulty pitot tube readings which crashed an all 300 people were killed. It just point to a serious indifference in doing a ground check of the aircraft rather than a mistake.