MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

Incident: Malaysia A333 at Brisbane on Jul 18th 2018, unreliable airspeed, hydraulic leak

A Malaysia Airlines Airbus A330-300, registration 9M-MTK performing flight MH-134 from Brisbane,QL (Australia) to Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), was in the initial climb out of Brisbane's runway 01 when upon contacting departure the crew declared PAN PAN PAN reporting their airspeed was unreliable.

More:

http://avherald.com/h?article=4bb4f5b3&opt=0

Hydraulic leakage and oil all over the taxiway. It was a good call by the crew to return back ASAP regardless of the overweight landing.

Could unreliable airspeed caused by hydraulic leak or separate event/incident?

Due unaable to correctly certify speed it made a super hard landing damaging front nose gear,possibly hydraulic leak and could not taxi on it own poeer anymore

We await the ATSB investigation findings.... I like it when accidents to Malaysian aircraft take place in Australia - we are assured of a proper and professional investigation. In Malaysia, we don't often see the final reports of accidents.

Theres an aviation account on twitter @Aircrashmayday saying the aircraft took off with several pitot tubes still covered thus the unreliable airspeed. Is this true?

It was on the TV news in Australia. All three remained covered.

So, who's fault was it? The ground handler-engineer? The pilot doing the walkaround?

BNE Operational requirement calls for the covers to be removed 20 mins prior pushback.. most flight crew walkarounds are completed approximately 40-30 mins ahead of departure

Edited by Sandeep G

If all 3 were covered, they wouldnt have any speed indicator at all. They will abort it before even reaching half of the runaway.

I checked again the photo and it shows 2 were covered.

interestingly if its really something to do with the pitot tubes and not all covers removed then it something not right and with MAS too. As it seems other foreign airlines and even aussie carriers like Qantas never had this issue from Brisbane or any other aust airports before.

Edited by leon t

Has anyone heard about the recent MH's fiasco on the BNE to KUL and LHR to KUL that have some technical issues and causing very unpleasant experience to passengers?

Has anyone heard about the recent MH's fiasco on the BNE to KUL and LHR to KUL that have some technical issues and causing very unpleasant experience to passengers?

Malaysia Airlines, in particular, MH3 from Londons Heathrow Airport to Kuala Lumpur, should be renamed the airline from hell. Ask the passengers who were stranded at Heathrow on Friday, July 27.

They received an email at 0300 hours on Friday morning, to inform them that their flight, which should have departed at 10.45am London time, would be delayed till 12 noon.

Who reads emails at that ungodly hour? A few more hours in bed would have been appreciated. Some passengers had also flown in from Europe.

Some had purchased tickets the day before. If they had known, about the delays, they would have chosen another airline.

When the MAS passengers checked-in at Heathrow, they found closed check-in counters. When asked, the few unhelpful ground crew employees sitting behind their desks would point towards another area of the huge complex, and say Go there. No reason was forthcoming. There was apparently Counter 1 of the MAS Customer Services desk, where a long queue was visible.

Whilst dragging his trolley towards Counter 1, a redirected passenger would pass around 70 people, in another queue. These MAS passengers had allegedly been told to gather for hotel bookings. Around the corner, was a third queue of 50, or more, passengers, who were told a different story.

More from

https://m.malaysiakini.com/columns/436470

An Airbus A380 fits around 550 passengers. This is the summer holiday.

What nonsense.

Everybody knows the Airbus A380-841 seats 850 in the summer and 900 in the winter.

Malaysia Airlines, in particular, MH3 from Londons Heathrow Airport to Kuala Lumpur, should be renamed the airline from hell. Ask the passengers who were stranded at Heathrow on Friday, July 27.

They received an email at 0300 hours on Friday morning, to inform them that their flight, which should have departed at 10.45am London time, would be delayed till 12 noon.

Who reads emails at that ungodly hour? A few more hours in bed would have been appreciated. Some passengers had also flown in from Europe.

Some had purchased tickets the day before. If they had known, about the delays, they would have chosen another airline.

When the MAS passengers checked-in at Heathrow, they found closed check-in counters. When asked, the few unhelpful ground crew employees sitting behind their desks would point towards another area of the huge complex, and say Go there. No reason was forthcoming. There was apparently Counter 1 of the MAS Customer Services desk, where a long queue was visible.

Whilst dragging his trolley towards Counter 1, a redirected passenger would pass around 70 people, in another queue. These MAS passengers had allegedly been told to gather for hotel bookings. Around the corner, was a third queue of 50, or more, passengers, who were told a different story.

More from

https://m.malaysiakini.com/columns/436470

Wait, first the letter berated them for e-mailing at 3 am London time which is 10 am KUL time, then they say there was no communications. So which one is it, got communication or not?

As for the indifferent ground staff, what do you expect from outsourced crews...they've never been motivated to work beyond what is expected of them.

This should get the new transport minister's attention. He's been focusing way too much on Air Asia lately.

Wait, first the letter berated them for e-mailing at 3 am London time which is 10 am KUL time, then they say there was no communications. So which one is it, got communication or not?

As for the indifferent ground staff, what do you expect from outsourced crews...they've never been motivated to work beyond what is expected of them.

Just a late share of what happened with my flight, MH643, 21/07/18.

Check in was proceeded as usual, after checked in I started to log on to flight24, noted that the incoming flight had no way to be seen; immediately I sensed that something may not be in order.

Went to boarding hall, passengers started to gathered. 8am sharp (where incoming MH2802 should landed), the ETD screen changed to "DELAYED". Some started to ask the ground staffs (I also approached them later on, whereby I said confirmed delayed or not as years ago I had previously experienced of "late incoming aircraft which turned out to be no plane on the way", i.e. flight cancelled). Reason cited was one of the pilot had taken MC, so no replacement flight crew thus aircraft cannot fly; they still trying to locate a replacement crew.

By around 8.35 am, flight24 had shown status as cancelled, I showed it to the ground crew; the looks was like they cant believed their eyes as their system had not yet turned "CANCELLED". Minutes later only announcement came it is indeed confirmed cancelled.

The next story was spending almost 2 hours to get the tickets refunded or re-routed. I chosen the former. Now I really had a no confident vote for their MYY-KCH-MYY sectors (as I plan to redo the trip sometime later), since the aircraft rotation pattern was KCH-MYY-KCH-SIN-KCH-MYY-KCH. With the red cap due to fly 39 weekly, believe they will further dominate the route soon as oppose to 14 weekly by MH.

On international ground, they get hit right, left and center by ME3 and every other premium airlines, on domestic front they get hit by Malindo and AirAsia. MH, why oh why???

Detaching ground services i.e aero darah from the airline may have reduced headcount and employment benefits i.e overhead but also disconnected responsibility. Not sure is a wise move in service industry.