MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Teo CK

Taipei - Sandakan CNY Chartered

A first ever international chartered flight SDK-TPE-SDK usher in the year of dog when the Malindo Operated OD8160 flight arrived at SDK at 945am on 16 Feb, the first day of CNY, carrying around 160 pax B)

http://www.thesundaily.my/news/2018/02/16/first-special-direct-charter-flight-sandakan-brings-160-tourists-taiwan

Here's a link to the water salute ceremony during the arrival to SDK

https://www.facebook.com/hasnor.hideakirizwan/videos/1743003739053299/

cheers!

A first ever international chartered flight SDK-TPE-SDK usher in the year of dog when the Malindo Operated OD8160 flight arrived at SDK at 945am on 16 Feb, the first day of CNY, carrying around 160 pax B)

http://www.thesundaily.my/news/2018/02/16/first-special-direct-charter-flight-sandakan-brings-160-tourists-taiwan

Here's a link to the water salute ceremony during the arrival to SDK

https://www.facebook.com/hasnor.hideakirizwan/videos/1743003739053299/

cheers!

facebook link cannot be open. should be privacy problem.

sooner can rename as Sandakan International Airport :p

It's not the "first ever" is it - remember the Mytravel 332 and Thomson 752 charters ?

Anyway, we could well see more foreign flights at SDK soon, since one of the suggested solution to BKI's 'congestion' is to encourage arrivals at our east coast airports instead. If this comes through, I guess SDK would be much better placed than TWU :)

Also wondering if they had to ferry the OD bird empty into and from SDK to operate the charters ?

Edited by BC Tam

Also wondering if they had to ferry the OD bird empty into and from SDK to operate the charters ?

Most likely ferry empty aircraft to/from BKI..

I was told there was some load restriction in terms of check-in luggage limit, ie 15kg per pax.

and yes, the OD plane did BKI-SDK / SDK-BKI with empty load for this chartered arrangement.

On a separate note, CM said during a CNY open house that there is a delay in the runway extension project due to insufficient funding...... well i bet there will be another ground breaking ceremony V2.0 just before election day.

cheers

Try this:

https://www.facebook.com/sandakantourism/videos/997321403751185/

Most likely ferry empty aircraft to/from BKI..

and yes, the OD plane did BKI-SDK / SDK-BKI with empty load for this chartered arrangement.

Presumably an OD bird that would have hibernated overnight at BKI instead ?

Wonder if they had to reschedule their morning flights from BKI as consequence ? My recent 'first of the day' OD flight to KUL was badly delayed - bird was held up by Chinese air congestion at Chengdu :)

Presumably an OD bird that would have hibernated overnight at BKI instead ?

Wonder if they had to reschedule their morning flights from BKI as consequence ? My recent 'first of the day' OD flight to KUL was badly delayed - bird was held up by Chinese air congestion at Chengdu :)

The patterns are from KL: KUL-BKI-SDK-TPE departing noon from KUL and Arr TPE close to midnight. From Taiwan : TPE-SDK-BKI-KUL departing TPE 6am arriving into KUL noon/evening

Didn't pay particular attention on this specific route, but OD has been placing aircraft overnight at BKI for some time now.

They also have loads of charters to NNG, CTU, TSN etc. these few weeks.

Also have to note that OD is doing more charters now compared to MH and AK.

Thanks for the info Raj :)

They also have loads of charters to NNG, CTU, TSN etc. these few weeks.

Also have to note that OD is doing more charters now compared to MH and AK.

Likely a major contributor to Dragonair's abandonment of BKI service :)

On 16 Feb, 9M-LNT operated as OD8608 arrived in SDK from BKI at 0120hr, then depart for TPE as OD8160 at 0200hr, return as OD8161 at 0630hr, arriving at SDK at 0940hr.

Later tonight, OD8160 will depart SDK at 2100hr, while OD8161 will depart TPE at 0130hr.

Would be interesting to know what's their agenda like? Personally I like Sandakan for the different food variety they offer, and the "fakes" in KK not even come close to matching. Had to be noted the first flight was on first day of CNY, so understandable most places were closed?

surprisingly, most seafood restaurants were opened during this CNY period....

luckily... or else this will caused a big hassle to the travel agents. i arrange one group to Sandakan earlier on normal days. it's hard enough to find suitable restaurant with possible advance booking for table and dishes.

just curious do Sandakan have enough tourist bus?

luckily... or else this will caused a big hassle to the travel agents. i arrange one group to Sandakan earlier on normal days. it's hard enough to find suitable restaurant with possible advance booking for table and dishes.

just curious do Sandakan have enough tourist bus?

If u can find me the tourists, I'll find u the tour buses 😂😂

Edited by Teo CK

If u can find me the tourists, I'll find u the tour buses

good one~ last time we found the crowd, but no. lastly we drive over our own bus for the group.

good one~ last time we found the crowd, but no. lastly we drive over our own bus for the group.

Do pm me when you have another group planning to come over haha.... =)