MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

Malaysia Airlines Instructed To Solve Seating Problem In Airbus Aircraft

Last update: 08/02/2018

SEPANG, Feb 8 (Bernama) -- The Transport Ministry has instructed Malaysia Airlines Bhd (MAB) to solve the seating and toilet problems in business class in its Airbus A350-900XWB aircraft.

Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said today the ministry had received complaints from passengers on uncomfortable seats and insufficient toilets in the business class.

The matter was discussed at the weekly meeting of the Cabinet yesterday, he said.

"I have instructed MAB to handle the complaints as soon as possible so that passenger comfort is assured and accorded priority," he said to reporters after opening the second phase of the Mitsui Outlet Park shopping centre here.

MAB is scheduled to receive six of the A350-900 aircraft in stages on lease from Air Lease Corporation. MAB received its first Airbus A350-900XWB on Nov 30 last year.....

9m-mte 2 toilet inop at business class cabin with only one usable and the plane is still deployed.

Why is the government interfering with MAB's operational matters?

Isn't that what we pay MAVCOM to do?

For seat and toilet to be discussed in cabinet meeting, mean complaint from minister's family or sec gen.

After spad and mavcom are formed, there is not much else for mot to regulate, may be except airplane seat and toilet.

2 a333 are in hangar for maintenance meaning only 13 are available which is tight. Its up to the point where bassically planes with broken toilets ifes etc are deployed(based on manufacturer manual limitation) or they risk long retimes as there are limited spares. Many 738s have multiple broken stuff onboard if you open the maintenance record.

Mab doesn't operate with high maintenance buffer margin unlike Qantas or JAL where a very small number MEL item puts the plane on immediate grounding and a spare plane is brought in. The current revised company manual is bassically sticking so close to manufacturers manual. In the old days manufacturer manual is used as a guideline to ferry sick planes back to base empty with no passengers, while airlines will have a much buffed up company manual for commercial flights but the line is getting thinner nowadays. LCcs were the first one to stick closely to manufacturers now flag carriers are also opting it to cut costs.

Edited by jahur

MAB is still a long way from recovering and the signs here are not good.

First we got the A380 u-turn, then the B787 surprise. What else will we see? I doubt profits will return - they will just keep postponing the day when the company is profitable again and the govt. interference is giving them an excuse too.

Why is the government interfering with MAB's operational matters?

Isn't that what we pay MAVCOM to do?

If Mavcom isn't going to say or do something, somebody has to step in. Frankly, I'm quite disappointed that the government didn't address the complaints surrounding the unilateral row 1 seat change fiasco.

Surely after all that brouhaha Mavcom and/or the MoT would've noticed the discontent?

If Mavcom isn't going to say or do something, somebody has to step in. Frankly, I'm quite disappointed that the government didn't address the complaints surrounding the unilateral row 1 seat change fiasco.

Surely after all that brouhaha Mavcom and/or the MoT would've noticed the discontent?

If the unilateral row 1 seat change is a fiasco, then is the lack of a spoon with the business class meal a disaster waiting to happen?

Mavcom could step in only if you had paid a surcharge or premium to sit in row 1, versus rows behind it.

Thats what happen when they did not honor F seats sold as J during initial operations. Talking bout karma

They did not promote buy J sit in F, did they?

On any airline, you can be reseated for any operational exigencies.

Insufficient toilets can be solved by allowing J passengers to share toilets with F. That way J class pax will have 2 more toilets compared to the A330.

As uncomfortable seats - aren't J seats the same in the A330? Why is it uncomfortable in the A350 when it's fine in the A330?

As uncomfortable seats - aren't J seats the same in the A330? Why is it uncomfortable in the A350 when it's fine in the A330?

Maybe it was a comparison with the 380 seats which do feel more spacious. I dont know what MH could do to make the 350 seats more spacious in a cost effective manner as the infrastructure is already in place. Whilst the issue of limited toilets is genuine, the complaint about the seat seems frivolous.

Maybe hand out the url for SQs website to the complainant? There are always other options if they wish to pay more.

Maybe it was a comparison with the 380 seats which do feel more spacious. I dont know what MH could do to make the 350 seats more spacious in a cost effective manner as the infrastructure is already in place. Whilst the issue of limited toilets is genuine, the complaint about the seat seems frivolous.

Maybe hand out the url for SQs website to the complainant? There are always other options if they wish to pay more.

But I thought people complained that the A380 seats weren't properly lie flat, and that those with window seats don't have easy aisle access etc etc etc etc....

Last update: 08/02/2018
SEPANG, Feb 8 (Bernama) -- The Transport Ministry has instructed Malaysia Airlines Bhd (MAB) to solve the seating and toilet problems in business class in its Airbus A350-900XWB aircraft.
Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said today the ministry had received complaints from passengers on uncomfortable seats and insufficient toilets in the business class.
The matter was discussed at the weekly meeting of the Cabinet yesterday, he said.

Seriously ? Cabinet meeting discussed about MAS Business Class seats & toilets ?

For seat and toilet to be discussed in cabinet meeting, mean complaint from minister's family or sec gen.

That was my first impression too !

I'm kinda curious as how did the cabinet ministers got wind of the uncomfortable seats...were the complains that severe?

Its prob themselves or their children or wives ...

Its prob themselves or their children or wives ...

Cabinet minister is entitled to and normally (on official business) travel in first class.

Edited by KK Lee

First class or Business class seats are million miles better than any economy seats. Why complaint? Many high-class and pampered options to go to LHR if some people are not happy with services and products offered by MH.

Believe the seat complains are very common on airlines using Thomson vantage. Mostly the issues are on throne seats, once the seat is converted fully flat you can't sleep sideways and those with huge foot won't get a good sleep not much of these issues we're present on the dated a380 business class seats. Qantas and aer lingus had a lot of business flyers complaining on their a330s because of it and qantas never deploys those seat on flights exceeding 9hours.

Problem is majority of mab business class passenger still compares mab product to to airlines like Emirates and sq etc when mab is financially unable to provide.

Edited by jahur

Problem is majority of mab business class passenger still compares mab product to to airlines like Emirates and sq etc when mab is financially unable to provide.

It is typical of Malaysians in general - pay a little, want the whole world.... Car dealers in this country have often heard complaints from Kancil buyers wanting full equipment in the tiny cars! Equipment in those cars was deliberately cut to keep the price down. So what our consumers want is the same Mercedes luxury in a small cheap car! The same goes for MAB pax - they want SQ and EK quality but at AK prices.... ;)

This is due to their stagnant income. If people feel a little richer, they will generally not mind paying more to get better quality.

That is what the Japanese do - they want quality but they are not afraid to pay the price for quality.

Edited by flee

So, does this mean all those "good, good, excellent ....." and "two thumbs up" accolades proffered after the trial flights don't hold up so well after all ?! :)

First class or Business class seats are million miles better than any economy seats. Why complaint? Many high-class and pampered options to go to LHR if some people are not happy with services and products offered by MH.

People who fly F or J have different expectations. For a lot of people, their benchmark isn't Y, otherwise airlines would have no incentive to outdo each other with lie-flat seats and suites.

Believe the seat complains are very common on airlines using Thomson vantage. Mostly the issues are on throne seats, once the seat is converted fully flat you can't sleep sideways and those with huge foot won't get a good sleep not much of these issues we're present on the dated a380 business class seats.

There's going to be some negative feedback on every J product, from recliners to QSuites. There are also a lot of comments directed at specific seats, but that doesn't mean the product is universally panned. CX's 77G and 359 have the infamous toilet seats, but the reverse herringbone product is still well-liked.

IMHO the Vantage product is a huge step up from the A380 J, without breaking the bank. I'm a happy camper because I don't expect an SQ/CX/JL experience, but I also don't pay SQ/CX/JL prices.

qantas never deploys those seat on flights exceeding 9hours.

I forget - how long is PER-LHR? Edited by Chris Tan

I forget - how long is PER-LHR?

Very long flight and qantas had to endure a lot of comments. We also have people complaining about sq business class seat being too wide back a while ago which is silly. I'mo Thomson vantage solo seats like row 9k for the mab a350 are pretty good with all the storage and compartments to store my stuff even the tighter 6k seats are still doable amid a bit tight. Maybe I'm not fat enough or 6 foot tall to have issues sleeping sideways on those seats. Edited by jahur

So, does this mean all those "good, good, excellent ....." and "two thumbs up" accolades proffered after the trial flights don't hold up so well after all ?! :)

Trial flights were relatively shorter. Can wait and hold until get inside terminal where there will be a lot more toilets. But cannot hold for 13hours.

Also, nobody really naps fo hours on those short flights; so lack of space to toss and turn whilst lying flat was not uncovered then.

Trial flights were relatively shorter. Can wait and hold until get inside terminal where there will be a lot more toilets. But cannot hold for 13hours.

Also, nobody really naps fo hours on those short flights; so lack of space to toss and turn whilst lying flat was not uncovered then.

This isnt a never-before-seen product. Its been on the A333 for almost 2 years now so the lack of toss and turn space shouldve been uncovered by now.

Sign in to follow this