MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Yu Junyi

AirAsia move to Avalon Airport from Melbourne's Tullamarine Airport

Really curious how this pans out.

Will the price be significantly cheaper than flying FSC to MEL? Will people care that this airport is about twice as far to city center? It's the tried and tested LCC model to fly to a secondary/tertiary airport but in this case they are the pioneering airline.

Some years ago, I began my drive on the Great Ocean Road at Geelong. Would have been perfect for me then, had I landed in Avalon!

They signed a 10 year contract with the airport. I wonder what will happen if business is lousy and they want to quit? Are there exit clauses?

Edited by flee

From Bali... Could it be Indonesia AirAsia Extra??... Not sure if the locals Aussie will still be keen after their abrupt cancellation of both MEL and SYD few years ago...

Some years ago, I began my drive on the Great Ocean Road at Geelong. Would have been perfect for me then, had I landed in Avalon!

They signed a 10 year contract with the airport. I wonder what will happen if business is lousy and they want to quit? Are there exit clauses?

Pay back huge penalty like what happened at CHC....

AirAsia becomes first airline to touch down at Melbourne’s second international airport - Avalon

https://newsroom.airasia.com/news/2018/12/5/airasia-becomes-first-airline-to-touch-down-at-melbournes-second-international-airport-avalon

I flew a Malaysian-registered cargo aircraft to AVV in the late 1990s.

Unlike MEL, AVV is not subjected to seat capacity restrictions. D7 can operate however many flights they want to AVV, but if AVV didn't work out for D7, they'd have to apply for the seats back (assuming MH/OD hasn't exhausted them).

Unlike MEL, AVV is not subjected to seat capacity restrictions. D7 can operate however many flights they want to AVV, but if AVV didn't work out for D7, they'd have to apply for the seats back (assuming MH/OD hasn't exhausted them).

I thought MEL and AVV were both restricted under the bi-lateral agreement as both are considered as 'Melbourne' airports. There are some exceptions, The Philippines applied for extra capacity for AVV which was approved, but 5J didn't want to use AVV anyways.

I thought MEL and AVV were both restricted under the bi-lateral agreement as both are considered as 'Melbourne' airports. There are some exceptions, The Philippines applied for extra capacity for AVV which was approved, but 5J didn't want to use AVV anyways.

AFAIK, the cap is restricted to 4 airports: SYD, PER, BNE, MEL at 35,000 weekly seats. Malaysian carriers are granted unlimited seats to other airports.

Passengers who haven't done their research will be in for a big surprise (and then feel pissed off) when they find out how far Avalong airport is away from Melbourne.

Just landed in AVV this morning from KUL for the first time. Noticed the load was (anecdotally) noticeably lighter than on my previous KUL - MEL flights in December. Also heard in the queue to get on the skybus to the city, lots of whinging by passengers about how far the airport is from the city, how they were caught off guard with regards to the move etc and how they would avoid this flight in the future.

Granted this is all anecdotal and a once off observation, I do hope the move hasn’t and will not cost D7 significant pax and revenue loss.

No complaints about the airport itself, it’s pretty efficient and hassle free, cleared immigration, picked up my checked baggage and exited customs to airside within 10 minutes of getting off the aircraft! Try and beat that Tullamarine haha.

Passengers who haven't done their research will be in for a big surprise (and then feel pissed off) when they find out how far Avalong airport is away from Melbourne.

It is suppose to be Geelong's Airport and not Melbourne's Airport lol.

Edited by S V Choong

I'm not too sure how long the journey from Avalon Airport to the Southern Cross station by Skybus.

During the biannual Australian International Airshow from the Avalon Airport to the nearest train station, Lara station, the connecting bus ride is about 15 minutes.

From Lara station to the Southern Cross station is about 45 minutes.

D7 now has the new AVV LCC terminal to themselves - the airport even has a ramp (instead of stairs or aerobridge) for boarding the aircraft. IIRC, the next new flights from Airasia X Group will be from Thailand. Now, that will be a popular destination for Aussies.

D7 now has the new AVV LCC terminal to themselves - the airport even has a ramp (instead of stairs or aerobridge) for boarding the aircraft. IIRC, the next new flights from Airasia X Group will be from Thailand. Now, that will be a popular destination for Aussies.

Do we have any images for the ramp? Is it the same/similar to the ones US airport uses? It is definitely barrier-free friendly rather than steep stairs.

Edited by Sharil Abdul Rahman

Do we have any images for the ramp? Is it the same/similar to the ones US airport uses? It is definitely barrier-free friendly rather than steep stairs.

Please click on the story I linked above for the picture.

Avalon Airport has introduced Australia's first Aviramp. Photo: Avalon Airport

avalonaviramp.jpg

This mechanisme is also wheelchair friendly?

Yup...the stair is only for staff, passengers embark and disembark using the zig zag ramp. You can see how works on youtube. Just type Aviramp...

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

Yup...the stair is only for staff, passengers embark and disembark using the zig zag ramp. You can see how works on youtube. Just type Aviramp...

I believe I have used that last year at London Gatwick (LGW) with Easyjet A319.

Edited by S V Choong

Talking of 'zig zag ramp' and LGW .....

lnuO6PO.jpg

(this was from nine years ago, not sure if it's still there) :)

Had to trek from check in hall down a labyrinth of corridors (as is common with these heavily modified/repurposed buildings) to holding lounge at ground level, only to have to climb up the flight of stairs again to make use of the aerobridge :lol:

Nowadays, I get to reminisce those memories when I board an AK flight at BKI :)

Cool pics guys.

The one from Avalon I have never seen before but the one from Gatwick is quite common.

Sign in to follow this