MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Craig

MH Summer 2018 Changes

No Yogyakarta?

MH has problems with B738 crewing - so maybe, that will only be launched once this problem is solved.

MH will increase its frequency to SUB wef 17APR18 from 7 to 10 weekly:

MH873 KUL1315 - 1450SUB 738 246

MH872 SUB1550 - 1930KUL 738 246

And from 06MAY18, from 10 to 12 weekly:

MH873 KUL1315 - 1450SUB 738 x15

MH872 SUB1550 - 1930KUL 738 x15

Other changes:

- 350 removed from AKL MH 132/133 service (swapped back to 333), surplus of ~1 A350 with 12 weekly NRT and 14 weekly LHR service

- All 350 NRT flights (MH 70/71/88/89) will be sold as 3-cabin

Despite returning some 738 to lessor & despite 332 is yet to enter service, MH still can input some extra frequencies. A little surplus on 738?

Despite returning some 738 to lessor & despite 332 is yet to enter service, MH still can input some extra frequencies. A little surplus on 738?

They have not been working the fleet as hard as they could. So there is still spare capacity that can be extracted from the smaller fleet - if only crewing issues can be overcome!

MH will operate A332 to AKL with new double overnight service to and from AKL wef 15MAY18.

MH131 KUL2325 - 1320+1SUB 332 D

MH130 AKL2240 - 0605+1KUL 332 D

Odd that they are using 332 for this flight (AFAIK, the galleys aren't big enough to cater 2 meal service, so maybe the late evening departure might alleviate that).

I thought the leased 332s will come in at least 2 versions. One with smaller galley facility for just one hot meal service - which will be used for services to DEL, PVG, HKG, CAN etc - and the other with facilities for two hot meal longer-range services.

MH will operate A332 to AKL with new double overnight service to and from AKL wef 15MAY18.

Odd that they are using 332 for this flight (AFAIK, the galleys aren't big enough to cater 2 meal service, so maybe the late evening departure might alleviate that).

That is some aircraft utilisation :o

Well, if you fly circles until afternoon before landing in SUB, then ferry it empty to AKL ... yes, that is some aircraft utilisation indeed!

Well, if you fly circles until afternoon before landing in SUB, then ferry it empty to AKL ... yes, that is some aircraft utilisation indeed!

Finally, a convenient KUL-SUB option for working folk! :p

Aren't they using the A332 for KUL-AKL direct? The 332 would have been perfect for this route, I would have thought!

No. As per the schedules, MH is only selling one way tickets AKL-KUL.

Edited by Mushrif A

Aren't they using the A332 for KUL-AKL direct? The 332 would have been perfect for this route, I would have thought!

No. As per the schedules, MH is only selling one way tickets AKL-KUL.

Actually once 131 lands in SUB after circling until midday pax are to make their own onward arrangements to AKL for them to catch the 130 back to KUL.

Do you mean KUl to AKL instead of KUL to SUB?

Do you mean KUl to AKL instead of KUL to SUB?

Five minutes short of a 14 hour flight to AKL from Kawau Island - not sure if MH has traffic rights domestically in Kiwi land though, but give it a go all the same

Presumably MH will now have to ferry the empty 332 KUL to KUI instead

:D

Opps. Sorry my bad. I need to proofread my post. No SUB involved, just AKL.

MH131 KUL2325 - 1320+1AKL 332 D

Much better :p

Sacrificing utilization to maximize connection at KUL?

What is new double overnight? Enlighten me please

AFAIK, MH has never operated double overnight to AKL (either overnight from KUL but return as a daytime service [MH 130/131] or daytime service to AKL and return as overnight from AKL [MH 132/133]). They usually just do a quick turnaround at AKL (75 minutes per current schedule until 14 May).

With this new schedule, MH is flying to and from AKL as an overnight flight with just over 9 hours ground time at AKL to maximize connections at KUL.

I thought the leased 332s will come in at least 2 versions. One with smaller galley facility for just one hot meal service - which will be used for services to DEL, PVG, HKG, CAN etc - and the other with facilities for two hot meal longer-range services.

I don't know about 2 versions of 332 but that seems inefficient since this will split the 6 332s fleet into smaller sub-fleet. 2 aircraft is needed for AKL plus either DPS/CAN during its ground time at KUL.

332 utilization (rough estimation):

AKL/CAN - 2 aircraft

DAC/DPS - 1 aircraft

HKG - 0.7 aircraft (with about 8 hours ground time at KUL)

PVG - 0.5 aircraft (with about 12 hours ground time at KUL)

DEL reverts back to 333.

Edited by Craig

Opps. Sorry my bad. I need to proofread my post. No SUB involved, just AKL.

MH131 KUL2325 - 1320+1AKL 332 D

Much better :p

Oh. Just a boring to-and-fro AKL?

No scenic route afterall.

Sacrificing utilization to maximize connection at KUL?

AFAIK, MH has never operated double overnight to AKL (either overnight from KUL but return as a daytime service [MH 130/131] or daytime service to AKL and return as overnight from AKL [MH 132/133]). They usually just do a quick turnaround at AKL (75 minutes per current schedule until 14 May).

With this new schedule, MH is flying to and from AKL as an overnight flight with just over 9 hours ground time at AKL to maximize connections at KUL.

In the past, mh prioritized aircraft utilization time over connection time at kul and we all know what was the result.

Mh is at last have business sense like sq, qr, ek, ba, etc.

Oh. Just a boring to-and-fro AKL?

No scenic route afterall.

Maybe. SUB is somewhat on the way to AKL - if you are lucky, you might see Mt. Bromo ;)

In the past, mh prioritized aircraft utilization time over connection time at kul and we all know what was the result.

Mh is at last have business sense like sq, qr, ek, ba, etc.

Almost *all* of QR's traffic is connection, maybe like 10% O&D.

MH does prioritize connections, but previously it was more EU-AU/NZ centric. The late arrival into KUL on MH 131 (around 21:00 previously) suits well for EU connections. Now with only 2 LHR flights, it can be served with either flight combos from KUL. With these new timing, AKL will be connected to all of Asia plus LHR (some Asian connections longer than others obviously) without the need of overnighting at KUL