MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
jani

Capt Izham Ismail is the New CEO of Malaysia Airlines

Just to get the ball rolling.. The press have speculated either Omar Saddiq or Shahril Mohktar.

Brief profile:

Omar Saddiq

• Current CFO of MAB
  • Experience:
  • PwC, Khazanah, CIMB
  • Degree in Economics from LSE

Shahril Mokhtar

• Current CEO of MRT Corp
  • Experience:
  • PwC, BAT, SPAD, PMB (Penerbangan Malaysia Berhad), RapidKL
  • Also Director at Prasarana and MyHSR

Hope to have mature discussion here, very interesting topic.

My own opinion at this point, is that I hope bigger names than the above are considered. But both still relatively young, and perhaps that's what the company needs.

Just to get the ball rolling.. The press have speculated either Omar Saddiq or Shahril Mohktar.

Brief profile:

Omar Saddiq

• Current CFO of MAB
  • Experience:
  • PwC, Khazanah, CIMB
  • Degree in Economics from LSE

Shahril Mokhtar

• Current CEO of MRT Corp
  • Experience:
  • PwC, BAT, SPAD, PMB (Penerbangan Malaysia Berhad), RapidKL
  • Also Director at Prasarana and MyHSR

Hope to have mature discussion here, very interesting topic.

My own opinion at this point, is that I hope bigger names than the above are considered. But both still relatively young, and perhaps that's what the company needs.

The Board just had their meeting today. They'll probably going to announce an interim CEO first.

Yes, we need someone with a track record of leading successful businesses. Someone who is professional and has high integrity.

My initial thoughts was also that with all the plans in place already, it might be important for an operations person to lead the line. Am torn though, between an internal candidate like that, or any one of Malaysia's top corporate men (or women?).

I once asked Azran Rani if he would ever run MAS, he said no. Wonder if we asked the same of Aireen? ;)

I once asked Azran Rani if he would ever run MAS, he said no. Wonder if we asked the same of Aireen? ;)

I think those who lead companies in the private sector will find it hard going in GLCs. Shareholders only care about return on investment. GLCs may have other priorities.

You just said it yourself, GLC's might have other priorities = i.e. national interest. Some people look at this as motivation... like Peter Bellew :)

But of course, I know you are implying other things.... ;)

This position now is like the Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts. It is jinxed (by Tom Riddle). And no one stayed longer than 1 year. Each of them has a unique 'exit'. Hahahanat.

My bet is Arved Nikolaus Von Zur Muehlen. Previously from SVP Commercial Ops of QR, he is now MH CCO.

Another white guy (Deutsche to be exact), but IDK. Purely speculation.

“They (the board) are looking at some internal candidates but certainly the mood is not to hire another foreigner.

“There are enough Malaysians who can do the job, it is a matter of sourcing for the right one. This is a good opportunity to show that Malaysians can do it,” said a source.
Yes , it mentioned the mood is not to hire another foreigner

http://www.thestar.com.my/business/business-news/2016/08/08/malaysia-airlines-appoints-new-chief-commercial-officer/

Edited by nastar

Well, after getting "screwed" (used for the lack of a better word) by two mat salleh's, of course the mood isn't there.

I too feel it should be a Malaysian.. just that Peter should have seen it out at least until the planned IPO.

If anyone follow PB on his instagram he did thanked Izham for being by his and CMs side during initial period of the turnaround. If PB get to nominate his successfor it will be Izham.

But of course board and PB now on different page. His opinion might not be considered because i think people are pissed of how thing unfold.

You just said it yourself, GLC's might have other priorities = i.e. national interest. Some people look at this as motivation... like Peter Bellew :)

But of course, I know you are implying other things.... ;)

Yes, "other priorities" has a very wide scope - these have been discussed before (even before CM was appointed) and the points remain valid.

If anyone follow PB on his instagram he did thanked Izham for being by his and CMs side during initial period of the turnaround. If PB get to nominate his successfor it will be Izham.

But of course board and PB now on different page. His opinion might not be considered because i think people are pissed of how thing unfold.

As I have said earlier, I think Ryanair were really desperate to make the announcement to appease their shareholders following their massive disasters in the past few weeks.

I am sure PB would have preferred to have this handled better - but he was travelling and not back in Malaysia. So, he and MAB lost control of the PR moves as Ryanair did not respect his current employers and went ahead to make their own statement.

The Board just had their meeting today. They'll probably going to announce an interim CEO first.

Mab board could announce acting CEO. However, CEO needed to be interviewed and approved by mo1. Besides experience and qualifications, chemistry with and trust from mo1 is equally if not more important. Edited by KK Lee

If you got sufficient money in your hands, you can build and run a reasonably successful business. That was what James Hogan did. But put him in a problem ridden, cash strapped GLC, how will he perform? I am not sure if he can be any better ...

They should have instead hired ex-Etihad CEO James Hogan instead of Izham Ismail to replace Peter Bellew.

For MAB its good to put Capt Izham Ismail as the new CEO as being a local and have been with the airline for many years, he would at least be staying on as CEO unlike the 2 westerners that MAB had brought in. This is also bec CPT Izham would have known about the ways the airline have been working and the politickings attached to it and know that the "boundaries" of to what extend he can do and push. MAB will likely be "turnaround" by next year and make very modest profit but nt sure if it can sustain the profitability over the next 5 years. One way around this path to profitability is the way MAB and Khanazah will now working on to set up a new company to take over the 6 A380s which is a heavy bleed on MAB. With the new company to take the 6 A380s off MAB books, it will reduce a great part of its costs and this alone will likely be able to turn MAB into some modest profitability by next year.

Of course, it remains to be seen if CPT Izham is able to exercise control over the types of aircraft that MAB will buy and keep its new order of widebodies to one single manufacturer to yield the economies of scale and reduce the number of parts and spares and in training of its crew.

Edited by leon t

For MAB its good to put Capt Izham Ismail as the new CEO as being a local and have been with the airline for many years, he would at least be staying on as CEO unlike the 2 westerners that MAB had brought in. This is also bec CPT Izham would have known about the ways the airline have been working and the politickings attached to it and know that the "boundaries" of to what extend he can do and push. MAB will likely be "turnaround" by next year and make very modest profit but nt sure if it can sustain the profitability over the next 5 years. One way around this path to profitability is the way MAB and Khanazah will now working on to set up a new company to take over the 6 A380s which is a heavy bleed on MAB. With the new company to take the 6 A380s off MAB books, it will reduce a great part of its costs and this alone will likely be able to turn MAB into some modest profitability by next year.

Of course, it remains to be seen if CPT Izham is able to exercise control over the types of aircraft that MAB will buy and keep its new order of widebodies to one single manufacturer to yield the economies of scale and reduce the number of parts and spares and in training of its crew.

Whether Capt izham will yield to political pressure, intention or directive is remain to be seen.

Mab current head count is probably the lowest possible and is more likely to rise.

With many years experience in the company, some old practices are likely to carry over.

Edited by KK Lee

Sign in to follow this