MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
jahur

MAB Signed MOU for 8 787-9 and 8 737 Max 8 During Najib-Trump Visit

It looks like they are modifying their B737 Max order again.

This would tie in with the suggestion that Boeing may have agreed to some discount that made the price more acceptable to MAB.

I still don't get the rationale for the orders - why only 8 frames? Where are they going to fly these aircraft to? The B787-9 has too much range for Asian range and is probably a bit too small if they want more capacity!

Anyway, lets wait and see what will really happen. This announcement really looks political because it is so lacking in details.

Old co MAS originally intended to retain 6-7 b772 for selected few european routes but the fleet got thrown off guess the 787 will fit somewhere around that level. According to trump the 787 will be fitted with GE engine. TG had issues with their Rr 787s saw 6 of them laying down at thai airways hangar in bkk two weeks ago and ethiopian converted their remaining 787s to GE.

Does anybody know the proposed delivery schedule?

This MoU is a rushed announcement and lacking in substance. I don't think you will get a delivery schedule until the order is firm.

I still don't get the rationale for the orders - why only 8 frames? Where are they going to fly these aircraft to? The B787-9 has too much range for Asian range and is probably a bit too small if they want more capacity!

The 789 will fly where the A339 was intended to fly. Maybe even AKL since it's stated that the A359 is too big for that particular route.

That will free up the A330s to serve the Asian routes.

Not quite right - MAB will operate the next gent hard product, the A359, from Jan 2018.

The a350 are only for LHR but also do note the a350 will be under load restriction on the belly. If mas wants to recapture some key eu and up marked asian routes it better buck up its fleet sending a330neo is not feasible even d7 backed out.

The 789 will fly where the A339 was intended to fly. Maybe even AKL since it's stated that the A359 is too big for that particular route.

That will free up the A330s to serve the Asian routes.

Yes, that was my initial reaction - see my earlier reply in the previous page.

The a350 are only for LHR but also do note the a350 will be under load restriction on the belly. If mas wants to recapture some key eu and up marked asian routes it better buck up its fleet sending a330neo is not feasible even d7 backed out.

That is why I said not quite right!

MAB will fly a next gen airliner in the A350 but its hard product has already disappointed many on MWings. Will the B789 hard product be different and better than that of the A359?

MAB also said European routes are not their focus and it is the Asian routes that they are keen on. Maybe this order, when it is firmed up, won't be delivered so soon - perhaps MAB will return to Europe after 2020.

Read between the line guys.. and get used to 9 abreast seating.. in one breath blaming the government for meddling and in the other saying you won't fly because uncomfortable, and yet expect MH to financially perform.. armchair CEOing sure is easy nowadays..

There are moves in the US for legislation to regulate the minimum amount of room for passengers as airlines try to cramp more and more seats into aircraft. So, don't be too sure that cramped aircraft will be acceptable.

The A359 was designed for 9 abreast seating and it is OK but the the B787 shoe horned the 9 abreast seating into a fuselage originally designed for 8 abreast.

Yes, armchair CEOs expect MAB to perform financially because everyone knows that they were not that efficient and were handicapped by political interference and crony supplier contracts. Also, there are examples of airlines that performed financially without the need to use sardine cans for aircraft - e.g. ANA.

That is why I said not quite right!

MAB will fly a next gen airliner in the A350 but its hard product has already disappointed many on MWings. Will the B789 hard product be different and better than that of the A359?

MAB also said European routes are not their focus and it is the Asian routes that they are keen on. Maybe this order, when it is firmed up, won't be delivered so soon - perhaps MAB will return to Europe after 2020.

Company email states their intention would be for q4 2019. The a339neo is not the proper platform for flights exceeding 9 hours another aircraft type had to be used hence management was slow and instead opted to wait the price to drop and see who drops it further. Do believe a339neo will replace older a333 in the future, the problem now is filling the gap between the a380 and 772 which is way overdue and the b789 is somewhere in the ballpark. 8/9 seater abreast is their least concern. But note that japan carriers have fitted 8 abreast seating on their 787s. Edited by jahur

Also, there are examples of airlines that performed financially without the need to use sardine cans for aircraft - e.g. ANA.

Just a quick correction. I think you meant JAL, they are the only 787 operator out there with 8 abreast seating in Y.

May 2019 delivery? Suspect some other 787 operator has likely deferred or let go of their delivery slot.

Boeing says signs deal to sell 8 787s, 8 737s to Malaysia

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-malaysia-airlines-boeing/boeing-says-signs-deal-to-sell-8-787s-8-737s-to-malaysia-idUSKCN1BO029

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak announced the plan to buy additional planes for the country’s flag carrier during a visit to the White House on Tuesday, telling U.S. President Donald Trump that Malaysia Airlines would buy 25 Boeing 737 jets and eight 787 Dreamliners.

Boeing declined to comment on Najib’s numbers.

Just a quick correction. I think you meant JAL, they are the only 787 operator out there with 8 abreast seating in Y.

ANA has B788s in low density configuration.

May 2019 delivery? Suspect some other 787 operator has likely deferred or let go of their delivery slot.

It has been reported that currently there is an oversupply of wide bodies in the global market, and that there are many airlines differing/delaying accepting delivery of their wide body planes. Could be these reason that resulted in these earlier slots being available.

The MoU is for converting eight 737 Max 8 firm orders to 789-9 - so they are also giving up some 737 delivery slots.

The MoU is for converting eight 737 Max 8 firm orders to 789-9 - so they are also giving up some 737 delivery slots.

AFAIK even the 737max dont come that early were expecting them somewhat december of 2019 or Q1 2020. Highly suspect we're getting somebody's b789 for the may delivery because if they were fresh orders we'd only get them by 2021 or later.

Edited by jahur

We just got to wait and see - no doubt, there will be another announcement if the MoU is firmed up into an official order.

I suspect that MAB is trying to move more 737 Max orders to the Max 10. That is why they replaced the Max 8 order that was converted with a purchase option.

Airlines do keep a fleet owned and leased equipment. Since MAB has announced this 8x B789 purchase, if and only if they do go the leasing way to top up their future fleet, Boeing seems to be the front runner, to keep the fleet as common as possible.

Airlines do keep a fleet owned and leased equipment. Since MAB has announced this 8x B789 purchase, if and only if they do go the leasing way to top up their future fleet, Boeing seems to be the front runner, to keep the fleet as common as possible.

We don't know yet as details are scant.

MAB might do a sale and leaseback of its assets or Najib might agree to set up yet another govt. SPV company to own the planes and lease them to MAB.

I am still wondering why Boeing 787 and why only 8 aircraft?
Some possibilities:
1 Operate B787s to CDG and/or AMS to relaunch routes to EU. With Brexit looming, it may be wise to re-establish the EU routes. This may require 6 aircraft for a daily service.
2 Operate the B787s to AKL - it is well known that currently, the A333s have a small payload restriction for this route. They have said that the A350 might be too big for the route - so a B787 might just be optimal. With that, they can free up the A333s for the Asian routes.
3 I think that they are still on course for about 6-8 more used A333s for deployment on their Asian routes.
Another order for the longer term (maybe about 25 aircraft) to replace the existing A333s may be placed once MAB has sorted out the terms to their favour.

I am still wondering where the 787s will fly to - will MAB return to LAX with it? Does the B789 have the legs for a non stop service?

Sign in to follow this