MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
jahur

MAB Signed MOU for 8 787-9 and 8 737 Max 8 During Najib-Trump Visit

Got the vibe of Vietnam Airlines here with the a350-9 and b787-9. Still think mab should mop a larger capacity aircraft over the a350 since their yield and base price is so low.

If 350 is deemed to big for any airline, they might as well just dont operate any wide body after all. I can understand they struggle to put bums on 380, but 350? Come on. Work harder please.

And this 8 airframes plus another 6 on the 350 does not make sense at all. Why dont they just get anothet 8 350? Talking about costs? Running an airline with 3 different types on widebody fleet? 330 and 350 cant CCQ ya..

737ng and max deck crew can now be sorted for proper progression if the 787 comes in. The 737 to a330 progression is severely flawed both on entirely different game.

Got the vibe of Vietnam Airlines here with the a350-9 and b787-9. Still think mab should mop a larger capacity aircraft over the a350 since their yield and base price is so low.

VN got the A350 as a B777 replacement while their B787 order was to replace the A330. So it is a simple swap to upgrade efficiency.

With MH, we are still scratching our heads as to why they made such small orders and also why the "urgent and immediate" requirement for more A330s is taking such a long time to complete!

VN got the A350 as a B777 replacement while their B787 order was to replace the A330. So it is a simple swap to upgrade efficiency.

With MH, we are still scratching our heads as to why they made such small orders and also why the "urgent and immediate" requirement for more A330s is taking such a long time to complete!

VN still operates the a330 and will be reducing them to 5 units and from my viet friends info vn is looking at the a330neo to supplement. As for Mab the 2nd hand immediate lease of the a330 supplement is still ongoing but the fact is the unit price n lease terms are severely bloated anyone working on aircraft financing knows this and airlines around the world are wasting money on it.

The 787 recent news, suspect trump and our PM managed to get Boeing to lower down the unit price to a level which Peter Bellew find it comfortable to make the purchase but will leave boeing in a very tight spot to recover its bloated project cost.

Edited by jahur

The 787 recent news, suspect trump and our PM managed to get Boeing to lower down the unit price to a level which Peter Bellew find it comfortable to make the purchase but will leave boeing in a very tight spot to recover its bloated project cost.

Yes, good point - they may have gotten the necessary concessions from Boeing and the 8 units are probably an initial order.

We may have more orders going through leasing companies later on - if they go with Boeing for the A330 replacement, then the B787-10 would be the model to go for.

We may have more orders going through leasing companies later on - if they go with Boeing for the A330 replacement, then the B787-10 would be the model to go for.

The direct a330 replacement would be the b787-9 at 280-290 capacity seating.

B787-10 should be the correct model to go for mab if they plan on european and pump up the revenues with the extra needed seats but looking at the price deal news is very unlikely mab is getting unless boeing cut its own throat by 80million usd discount per unit.

The direct a330 replacement would be the b787-9 at 280-290 capacity seating.

B787-10 should be the correct model to go for mab if they plan on european and pump up the revenues with the extra needed seats but looking at the price deal news is very unlikely mab is getting unless boeing cut its own throat by 80million usd discount per unit.

It depends on their strategy - if they want more capacity for Asian routes, the B787-10 would be a good fit while the A359 can continue to serve LHR and EU routes.

But if they want to send the B787 to Europe, then they might need to use the B787-9 as I am not sure if the B787-10 can manage the range on full payload.

As they have mentioned that Europe is not an urgent place to serve as they believe Asia and China are going to be huge, I would think the higher capacity, lower range B787-10 might fit the bill a bit better.

Buy 8 get 1 free :)

Another business jet?

If this rumour did materialize, I might not buy MH ticket anymore. 9 abreast economy seats on board 787 is cramped :wacko:

It depends on their strategy - if they want more capacity for Asian routes, the B787-10 would be a good fit while the A359 can continue to serve LHR and EU routes.

But if they want to send the B787 to Europe, then they might need to use the B787-9 as I am not sure if the B787-10 can manage the range on full payload.

As they have mentioned that Europe is not an urgent place to serve as they believe Asia and China are going to be huge, I would think the higher capacity, lower range B787-10 might fit the bill a bit better.

The B787-10 has the range of a b777-300 with slight additional range but lower payload capability. Anyways we just hope Mab makes the right choice so many screw up by the many multiple previous management that current new co is unable to grow and people are leaving.

Yes, I hope that they made the right choice.

Already I am avoiding MH B738's cramped Y accommodation. I don't think I will like it very much if the B787 Y class gets 9 abreast seating....

737ng and max deck crew can now be sorted for proper progression if the 787 comes in. The 737 to a330 progression is severely flawed both on entirely different game.

Agree bro. I bet most the 738NG pilots said dream come true when they heard this news about the 787.

Agree bro. I bet most the 738NG pilots said dream come true when they heard this news about the 787.

does not make any difference to 737 guys in MAB. Still need a full conversion course to both 787 or A350. Heck, even a 777 or A330.

The only thing to rejoice is the chance to fly the best Airbus Boeing ever built.

does not make any difference to 737 guys in MAB. Still need a full conversion course to both 787 or A350. Heck, even a 777 or A330.

The only thing to rejoice is the chance to fly the best Airbus Boeing ever built.

Yes conversion course is a headache for Boeing to Boeing with 2 months in between or more but airbus takes the cake when it can be shorten severely thanks to the commonality in cockpit design. However It makes a lot of difference for the young keen FO's who prefer the old physical hand flying Boeing still has it in the 777x and 787s. Airbuses is an entirely different concept to take with especially when it comes to its automation and flying handling over the Boeing but it does make a lot of good reduction in checklist redundancy and ease of operational dispatching. Have some ex ATR and Q400m guys that went into the A320 who had a surprise when it comes to the sidestick response of the airbus that it feels very unnatural while those that progress to the 737NG had very little to be surprised at. So its best to have every option available in the industry.

Edited by jahur

I am saddened by this news that MH is back to purchasing aircraft they don't need or even planned. They even have yet to get rid of the 6 A380s. And they already identified surplus A350 from its 6 lease having nowhere to fly them apart from LHR. Operating a small fleet of 6 A350 and 8 787 does not make any good business sense at all. Good Lord.

I imagined Bellew would be devastated as we saw how extra careful he was when planning the fleet and what they exactly want (i.e. the second hand A333s). Out of sudden, boom. 8 brand new 787.

Is this also part of the pre election ploy? Jeez!

I am praying it will be just a Letter of Intent and nothing more.

Air Berlin going bust there will be plenty of 332 looking for new home. Also Etihad will start disposing their 330s from next year, perfect time to get one. But why 787 and it's just 8 of it.

Like Azizul said, PB must be disappointed with these development.

Well, I am also concerned about political reasons for this purchase but I would like to think that MH under PB is now planning for the future. Maybe he was playing Boeing versus Airbus to see what deal he could get? MH is far behind its regional rivals and really needs to start ordering next generation aircraft so that they arrive when MH is ready for their next phase of expansion. And I believe this is not too far away as we all believe. I think they should leave AMS to KLM (and continue their long term cooperation) - maybe think about CDG or FRA which may become even larger financial centres now that Brexit is looming!

I am saddened by this news that MH is back to purchasing aircraft they don't need or even planned. They even have yet to get rid of the 6 A380s. And they already identified surplus A350 from its 6 lease having nowhere to fly them apart from LHR. Operating a small fleet of 6 A350 and 8 787 does not make any good business sense at all. Good Lord.

I imagined Bellew would be devastated as we saw how extra careful he was when planning the fleet and what they exactly want (i.e. the second hand A333s). Out of sudden, boom. 8 brand new 787.

Don't be melodramatic. The 787 was under consideration. Who knows, maybe Boeing was able to offer massive discounts - if not on the 787s, on the 737MAX.

In fact it was already stated that the major sticking point on the A330neos were the pricing.

Lots of doom and gloom here... why?

Does anybody know the proposed delivery schedule?

Has everyone forgotten PB was already talking about long term fleet planing strategy and had hinted at B787 or A330neo/350 order strategy? This was always a flaw in MH in the past - having "out-dated" fleet for key markets..

Has everyone forgotten the look for second hand A330swas purely a short term leasing strategy to boost capacity on high demand route segments and thus optimise the narrow body fleet also by returning some of the leased 738s to lessors?

Is it not normal for politicians to use such deals as Grand-standing as a show of trade ties?? Is MAB NOT owned hub Khazanah which would have had to sign off on these purchases in the first place?? Just because it is Najib - sure there is some political mileage he hopes to get out of this..

Are you kidding me that there is no market for the 787 in MH fleet?? And to hear that it is only 8 aircraft first rather than the 30-40 needed long term... sounds like the planners are actually taking advantage of future lease market opportunities rather than putting all the eggs in one basket..

Read between the line guys.. and get used to 9 abreast seating.. in one breath blaming the government for meddling and in the other saying you won't fly because uncomfortable, and yet expect MH to financially perform.. armchair CEOing sure is easy nowadays..

The 787 is already one of the type mh has been considering for years.

We are way behind competition. No homebase airline in msia are operating with next gen hard product for the long haul segment and you expect mh to operate oversized bus and soon to be a decade old a330? It would be better for gulf carriers to take over then, but i think even they wont happily take over our low yield operation. There is need for our airlines to do something for their long term development.

Edited by jahur

Air Berlin going bust there will be plenty of 332 looking for new home. Also Etihad will start disposing their 330s from next year, perfect time to get one. But why 787 and it's just 8 of it.

Like Azizul said, PB must be disappointed with these development.

Second hand widebody plan is still on the cards already mentioned by PB multiple times on the news for commencement on q2 2018. But you guys seem to get a little impatient. 8 unit of 787 is still not fix number you never know if mab decides to go and lease out more planes.

The announcement includes eight 787-9 Dreamliners by converting eight of Malaysia Airlines' existing order of the Boeing 737 MAX aircraft and eight additional purchase rights of the 737 MAX 8s as well as Boeing's Global Fleet Care service to maintain the national carrier's current and future Boeing airplanes.

It looks like they are modifying their B737 Max order again.

This would tie in with the suggestion that Boeing may have agreed to some discount that made the price more acceptable to MAB.

I still don't get the rationale for the orders - why only 8 frames? Where are they going to fly these aircraft to? The B787-9 has too much range for Asian routes and is probably a bit too small if they want more capacity!

Anyway, lets wait and see what will really happen. This announcement really looks political because it is rushed through to fit in with the PM's visit and so lacking in details.

No homebase airline in msia are operating with next gen hard product for the long haul segment

Not quite right - MAB will operate the next gent hard product, the A359, from Jan 2018.

Edited by flee

Sign in to follow this