MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
jahur

MAB Signed MOU for 8 787-9 and 8 737 Max 8 During Najib-Trump Visit

I am still wondering where the 787s will fly to - will MAB return to LAX with it? Does the B789 have the legs for a non stop service?

NRT, AMS, AKL earmarked with 4 aircrafts the other 4 will be for expansion purposes which will likely see a surplus of 2 extra destinations only unless it is non daily. The long term A330 replacement phase is still ongoing and believe the A330-900neo will be picked but do note if Boeing bargains further MAB might switch.

whichever aircraft supposedly it should be making money to the airline, it's how the aircraft is being utilized to gain optimum profit now is on MAB's hands. At least now they can claim to fly some of the worlds youngest fleet again and hopefully introduce industry first product in the 787.

whichever aircraft supposedly it should be making money to the airline, it's how the aircraft is being utilized to gain optimum profit now is on MAB's hands. At least now they can claim to fly some of the worlds youngest fleet again and hopefully introduce industry first product in the 787.

Industry's first ever 787 that serves teh tarik and satay onboard at 30,000 ft. Bliss.

They are buying Dreamliners, finally! Dreams come true. Isn't that great?

I am not actually concerned about the numbers. Everyone is buying, everyone is happy operating it. We are one of the last to buy. 8 is good for a start, not 17 or 25. At least we have finally decided to buy.

Cheers Peter! Justice to us spotters! Hehe.

Industry's first ever 787 that serves teh tarik and satay onboard at 30,000 ft. Bliss.

Should expect better taste too, at higher cabin pressure.

This MoU is a rushed announcement and lacking in substance. I don't think you will get a delivery schedule until the order is firm.

That was precisely the point I was raising, Flee - in continuation from my opening "doom and gloom" statement.

2019 now seems to be legit.. and airframe leases can be 1 year or 2 years.. so candidly, one could expect MAB a333/332 leases to be for up to 3 years and then phase out with 789 deliveries.. seems like there is some order in the house.

Remember, MH grew phenomenally in the 90s with 6 DC-10s and 10 744s.. fleet right-sizing could be the best way forward for sustainable profitability.

As to the US regulations for minimum seat size - you are correct. But that is a US motivation, based on their local market requirements and feedback.. plus size passengers having to purchase two seats etc and a consumer feedback driven economy would do that.. how likely is MAVCoMm to impose similar requirements in Malaysia???

Edited by Sandeep G

I am saddened by this news that MH is back to purchasing aircraft they don't need or even planned. They even have yet to get rid of the 6 A380s. And they already identified surplus A350 from its 6 lease having nowhere to fly them apart from LHR. Operating a small fleet of 6 A350 and 8 787 does not make any good business sense at all. Good Lord.

I imagined Bellew would be devastated as we saw how extra careful he was when planning the fleet and what they exactly want (i.e. the second hand A333s). Out of sudden, boom. 8 brand new 787.

Is this also part of the pre election ploy? Jeez!

I am praying it will be just a Letter of Intent and nothing more.

It's an MoU..so its non-binding

MH is not a LCC; for a FSC to be profitable, yield need to be optimized. To optimize yield, supply must match demand; Hence, yield optimization is only possible with a mixed fleet. The reason why BA, LH, KL, AF have a wide mix. If MH 787 capacity is 40 to 50 less than A359 and operation is flexible enough, then MH will stand a chance to make some money on intercontinental routes.

There are many airlines operating 787 into KUL, many of MH ground engineers are already certified on 787. Normally HR estimate a certain number of set of tech crews per aircraft. Whether mixed fleet or single type, number of tech crew will be about the same. The difference is type rating. If cost of type rating is critical to MH, MH should have bought A320 instead of 738.

On engineering support, most engine, etc suppliers have regional base at SIN, is only a short hop away.

Edited by KK Lee

I always thought 787-8/9 is a perfect fit for MH, although I prefer A350 for their wider seats. By the time they receive 787, they can let go leased A330 and have a perfect aircraft replacement.

The more different types that we have in Malaysia, the better it is for us as passengers.

BUT the question is that does 8 787 Dreamliners and 6 A350 bring in economics scale to MAB in terms of cost? That's remain a burning question that PB gonna sort out.

teh tarik maybe but i believe TG had already done the satay part

The keyword is "and". Thats teh tarik AND satay.

Same shall apply to A359.

(SQ will have done only the satay part on the 359)

Thats what you get when a politician speaks. Just saying something for the sake of saying something more.

This come when D7 9M-XXT RR engine got problem at Australia. but they no choice either as future A330neo solely on RR

More political interference - this time with Airasia?

Edited by flee

Their A359 achieved the first operator in the world to include F class

The more different types that we have in Malaysia, the better it is for us as passengers.

BUT the question is that does 8 787 Dreamliners and 6 A350 bring in economics scale to MAB in terms of cost? That's remain a burning question that PB gonna sort out.

If it was acceptable to operate 6 A350, it would be similarly acceptable to operate 8 787.

If yield could be optimized, incremental cost could be absorbed. However, if yield is not optimized, it is unlikely to be profitable.

787-9 is an ultra long range aircraft. This is the aircraft type that UA flies to SIN from SFO non stop (8,433 miles), BA flies to KUL and SCL and the aircraft that QF will use on its jaw dropping PER-LHR (9,010 miles) next March. MH better be having a suitable destination to warrant the purchase of the 8 frames. I would imagine a reopening of KUL-CDG (but my MH spies revealed that CDG was dropped previously because it was too expensive to operate to/from) or KUL-AMS (makes more sense) and that's about it. KUL-LAX does not make business sense as even if the aircraft has the range, MH will not be able to operate it profitably. Another possible theory is that the A350's tenure may not be long in MH's fleet and the 6 aircraft will leave the fleet as soon as the first lease term expires. Hence these 8 frames will be used on KUL-LHR too (there is an ongoing rumour among my MH spies that says the 6 leased A350 may be cancelled yawl!) This is the only possibility/theory that I could see as plausible under MH's current circumstances.

Trivia: 787-9 is my current favourite aircraft. Flown it on 10 sectors so far, all 10 with BA between LHR and KUL (1F, 3J, 3W and 3Y) and had 1 pending booking in a few weeks' time i.e. AF to CDG. I think it has the perfect size for me, very modern and comfortable (had my 1st ever no. 2 experience onboard a 787-9, this is still my only no. 2 experience on an aircraft ever) and look so aesthetically pleasing to the eyes.

I can definitely see the B787-9 flying to AKL and it is also the right aircraft to return to Europe if the A350-900 is considered too big. With Brexit looming, ìt makes sense to me to fly to another European destination other than London.

MAS had a clean fleet. Boeing for short haul, Airbus for medium and long haul. Throwing in 8 787 together with the A350 makes no sense. Due to maintenance costs, crew training, crew flexibility, etc. Airlines are streamlining their fleets not the other way round. I don't buy the BS that it came down to price. I can only conclude political interference again.

Sign in to follow this