MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
jahur

MAB Signed MOU for 8 787-9 and 8 737 Max 8 During Najib-Trump Visit

If it's true why only 8?

I think 8 is sufficient with the current 6 a350 and few unconfirmed 2nd hand widebody planes to supplement the a330 fleet.

Make Malaysia Airlines great again (yes, I really mean it).

Najib did mention that he wants Malaysia Airlines to be great again

Remember what he said about MH getting 5 star Skytrax by next year

Wow interesting. Wonder if the US produces any fighter jets? Maybe that could be on order too.

Believe the FA-18F superhornet is ideal to replace the mig-29 Our MRCA program is way behind schedule for a decade but highly likely our government wont make any financial commitment for it.

Boeing 8 - 6 Airbus

I am more interested if the Irish chap on board agreed to / was made aware of the Boeing deal :)

Maybe they should just scrap the 330 lease idea now ? :D

The airline's chief executive said in June that it was in early negotiations with Airbus and Boeing for the purchase of 35-40 new long-range jets.

Aircraft manufacturers typically give discounts to list prices.

from: http://www.thestar.com.my/business/business-news/2017/09/12/malaysia-airlines-to-announce-deal-to-buy-8-boeing-787-jets/#mDM6zL1KaCvzH5Yz.99

So, it would seem the airline has given a big 'discount' to the quantity as well :D

SINGAPORE/KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - Malaysia Airlines will announce a deal to buy eight widebody Boeing (BA.N) 787 jets during the visit of Prime Minister Najib Razak to the United States, two industry sources said on Tuesday.

The deal, worth more than $1.8 billion at list prices, is expected to be one of the announcements that will be made after Najib meets with U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday, the sources said.

Brendan Sobie, chief analyst at independent aviation research firm CAPA Centre for Aviation, said the timing of the order alongside Najib’s visit raised concerns of potential political influence over the purchase.

“This has happened before with Malaysia Airlines - and other airlines in this region for that matter - where the government has decided to buy an airplane that wasn’t really required,” Singapore-based Sobie said. “I think in this case the 787 is required anyway. But now that it is a political thing there are questions.”

Big problem now is capacity wise. Previous rumor and insider info indicates that MAS is keen on the B787-9/A330-900neo. Seating on these models are identical about 280-300seats depending on cabin plan. The current plan of using the A350-9 to LHR is a severe downgrade, cutting down seating capacity by half from the A380. Also noted that the A350 flight to LHR would be under belly payload restriction. With this believe MAS would face an issue on holiday seasons as load requirement during those period are by average 300-350 seats per flight. Courier belly revenue on behalf of MasKargo would also be under severe restriction. A 290 seater B787-9 is not much different from the A350-9. Believe MAS should get the B787-10 or getting some second hand B777-300ER to take over one of the London flights and other in demand destinations.

Edited by jahur

I am still wondering why Boeing 787 and why only 8 aircraft?

Some possibilities:

1 Operate B787s to CDG and/or AMS to relaunch routes to EU. With Brexit looming, it may be wise to re-establish the EU routes. This may require 6 aircraft for a daily service.

2 Operate the B787s to AKL - it is well known that currently, the A333s have a small payload restriction for this route. They have said that the A350 might be too big for the route - so a B787 might just be optimal. With that, they can free up the A333s for the Asian routes.

3 I think that they are still on course for about 6-8 more used A333s for deployment on their Asian routes.

Another order for the longer term (maybe about 25 aircraft) to replace the existing A333s may be placed once MAB has sorted out the terms to their favour.

If 350 is deemed to big for any airline, they might as well just dont operate any wide body after all. I can understand they struggle to put bums on 380, but 350? Come on. Work harder please.

And this 8 airframes plus another 6 on the 350 does not make sense at all. Why dont they just get anothet 8 350? Talking about costs? Running an airline with 3 different types on widebody fleet? 330 and 350 cant CCQ ya..

Yes, that is why the report stated that there might be some political interference. Once again, MAB is being used for political expediency!

PM Najib has presided over some aviation MoUs that have come to nothing - remember the flymojo and CS100 MoU?

So, I will only believe it once I see the planes carrying fare paying pax ...

I suppose there are those whose fantasy of having both 350s and 787s in MH's fleet are now rejoicing :)

I wonder if and when the next state visit to Europe will come about - how about a fleet mix of 737Max and 320neo ?! :D

Najib going to subsidize the 787 purchase? Hmm

MAS only ordered 6 A350's.. replace that with 10x more planes? :D

:D

In my perfect world

All that 787 mix of 8 and 9 are for the a330 replacement and long term growth for China, The 777x would be the flagships to cover London, Europe, and to take back North America routes

With Visa waiver the demand to US will skyrocket

Back to reality, it's still a surprise to here this 787 announcement. We still do not know which model of 787 would be picked.

Edited by David.W

Najib going to subsidize the 787 purchase? Hmm

:D

In my perfect world

All that 787 mix of 8 and 9 are for the a330 replacement and long term growth for China, The 777x would be the flagships to cover London, Europe, and to take back North America routes

With Visa waiver the demand to US will skyrocket

Believe its the other way around. Najib will get subsidized by someone or anyone from this deal. Election coming soon.

Sign in to follow this