MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Roy Chin

MAB on track to get five star Skytrax status

SEPANG: The government is confident that Malaysia Airlines Bhd (MAB) will obtain a five star rating by Skytrax by next year.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak said this is based on MAB's five-year recovery plan which is on track.

https://www.nst.com.my/business/2017/07/256043/malaysia-airlines-track-get-five-star-skytrax-status

PS: Damn it. I hope this is true lol :drinks:

They needd to buff up the staff morale if they are to see improvement in service. So many tech crew leaving that they dont have enough pilots to fly the 737s. Situation is so bad but they are now only sourcing pilots from MASWings and MASWings itself is slow in hiring or the HR over there are not doing the job right. There are so many fresh jobless pilots and GA based pilots resume that got rejected by MASWings and only one ATR Sim sourced from firefly available it will be slow to transition the crew to MAS. If MAS does not broaden up its vacancy to outsiders it is likely not going to thrive soon.

With this i don't think we will see any 5 star airlines in Malaysia anytime with how all the airlines in Malaysia cut costs and downgrade off the hard products.

Edited by jahur

Does it mean MAB is now financially on a sound enough footing to start paying Skytrax for the honour again ? :)

Garuda has 5 star rating

MAB should really use them as the benchmark if they really want that 5 stars. Not even asking for Singapore Airlines or Qatar level yet

what does Garuda or Hainan have that MAB does not?

the incoming A350 better have Vantage XL seats for example.

Edited by David.W

I am not sure how Skytrax 5-star rating works, and is it really that prestigious? I see Garuda, Hainan and Qatar proudly promoting the 5-star ranking, but it is completely missing from Singapore Airlines' promotion. Don't even see anything about Skytrax in SQ's website

I am not sure how Skytrax 5-star rating works, and is it really that prestigious? I see Garuda, Hainan and Qatar proudly promoting the 5-star ranking, but it is completely missing from Singapore Airlines' promotion. Don't even see anything about Skytrax in SQ's website

But they have this entire page talking about all the awards (except skytrax?)

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/us/flying-withus/our-story/awards/

The Skytrax 5 Star ranking does not base on customer's rating, but based on the Skytrax's internal audit in terms of every bit of an airline's operation, such as service, hard products, safety, nevertheless consistency...

Garuda has 5 star rating

MAB should really use them as the benchmark if they really want that 5 stars. Not even asking for Singapore Airlines or Qatar level yet

what does Garuda or Hainan have that MAB does not?

the incoming A350 better have Vantage XL seats for example.

Not expecting that as the A330 Thomson Vantage J class are still new...

Does it mean MAB is now financially on a sound enough footing to start paying Skytrax for the honour again ? :)

I just went to the Skytrax A to Z airline rating, only to find that MAB no longer "not rated" , instead became "on review" already...

5-star Skytrax rating is meaningless. Flew QR last year and I don't feel the experience is any different compared to MH or KL to be honest.

I certainly don't see the 5-starness anywhere on board that QR cabin - which is why EK never even bothered with Skytrax.

MH current business model is incompatible with even 4 star rating. Mo1 rattling could be by his aide for morale boosting.

By engaging skytrax, mh will probably award "best satay" or "best improved" in next ceremony.

would be nice if Najib could use government funds to give MAB the financial boost to become the most luxurious airline by 2018.

It was his words that MAB would get 5 star Skytrax next year no PB.

Its a national icon. It has to be best of the best! Make Malaysia Airlines great again, Najib.

What is the importance of this rating? I don't think the average public that fly MH read the review from the website. I think the ranking is pointless, since every airlines is cutting back services to gain more profit.

What is the importance of this rating? I don't think the average public that fly MH read the review from the website. I think the ranking is pointless, since every airlines is cutting back services to gain more profit.

Airline business is like hotel; if the facilities and services is at budget experience, customers expect to pay budget price. Similarly, luxurious hotel could charge premium price.

Given mh poor reputation, it will take many years to convince customers mh is delivering and worth paying for luxurious service. More often than not, mh would change the service level before customer is convinced.

Edited by KK Lee

5-star Skytrax rating is meaningless. Flew QR last year and I don't feel the experience is any different compared to MH or KL to be honest.

I certainly don't see the 5-starness anywhere on board that QR cabin - which is why EK never even bothered with Skytrax.

I see what you mean there but when consumers start talking about which & which airline is a 5 star airline, that's a different thing altogether... somehow the rating gave both airline companies & passengers a benchmark to refer to before they choose whom to travel with.

MH current business model is incompatible with even 4 star rating. Mo1 rattling could be by his aide for morale boosting.

By engaging skytrax, mh will probably award "best satay" or "best improved" in next ceremony.

they used to have best signature dish, & the top notch FAs grabbed the best cabin staff for few years before giving away to OZ & GA....

That is why the rich middle eastern airlines are on top of the game. even SQ is seeing red figure already

The people who need to depend on skytrax to tell them what's good and what's not...probably aren't willing to shell out RM5000 for a KUL-LHR Y ticket just because it's a 5* airline.

The people who need to depend on skytrax to tell them what's good and what's not...probably aren't willing to shell out RM5000 for a KUL-LHR Y ticket just because it's a 5* airline.

Marginal cost on foods, cutlery, towels, etc to achieve 5 star service level could be as low as rm100 per pax on kul-lhr one way. However, mh purchasing cost is different from others.

Edited by KK Lee

Airline business is like hotel; if the facilities and services is at budget experience, customers expect to pay budget price. Similarly, luxurious hotel could charge premium price.

Given mh poor reputation, it will take many years to convince customers mh is delivering and worth paying for luxurious service. More often than not, mh would change the service level before customer is convinced.

exactly :good:

Skytrax ratings are meaningless. Seriously? TG have the best econony product? Ha ha ha!!

Perhaps they have something like "mystery shopper", but the person is not so "mysterious" in this case. Might even inform airlines they will be conducting evaluation on this flight on this date. So the airline will dish out the best only for that flight.

Skytrax ratings are not credible for the knowledgeable. But many novices use it as a guide. Airlines use it as a marketing tool as there are very few other airline awards given out!.

Skytrax ratings are not credible for the knowledgeable. But many novices use it as a guide. Airlines use it as a marketing tool as there are very few other airline awards given out!.

Exactly. As with all other marketing tools out there, it may not work on us, but it works on others. If the cost of attaining a 5 star status is still manageable, why not? MH needs all the help they can get.

Didn't members here bash MAS in the past for their tacky/cheap "5 star airline" marketing? So what's the consensus now? Get a 5* rating but don't advertise it?

Exactly. As with all other marketing tools out there, it may not work on us, but it works on others. If the cost of attaining a 5 star status is still manageable, why not? MH needs all the help they can get.

Actually Emirates is a great example of how redundant a Skytrax rating is for airline marketing.

Didn't members here bash MAS in the past for their tacky/cheap "5 star airline" marketing? So what's the consensus now? Get a 5* rating but don't advertise it?

That is not Skytrax's problem.

The airline is supposed to know how to market its 5* rating. So, if they don't do a good job, tough!

Sign in to follow this