MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

AirAsia X Perth Incident 2017

It is all about culture, actually. For some culture, saying a prayer is a good thing whilst in others, it is a sign of insecurity. Unfortunately, in this case, there is a clash of culture between the captain and the passengers. Nobody should be blamed.

It is all about culture, actually. For some culture, saying a prayer is a good thing whilst in others, it is a sign of insecurity. Unfortunately, in this case, there is a clash of culture between the captain and the passengers. Nobody should be blamed.

100% agree with you Captain.

Indeed, to others by asking the pax to say a prayer may show the pilot is not confident to land the plane safely. When there is anything happen to a plane in the mid air, the only hope for the pax is the pilots could bring the plane back to the ground safely. Asking the pax to say a payer instead of reassuring is the last thing the pax want to hear. The pax will feel more vulnerable.

Anyway, it is a good lesson learnt about the culture and more importantly, no one is injured.

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

First hand account from a passenger on board:

My name is Madeline Wright and I was involved in the Air Asia engine incident on sunday morning (24th june) traveling from Perth to Kuala lumpur on my family's way to Vietnam. After hearing the loud bang, our aircraft began to shake vigorously and panic fell across all 359 passengers. Our reassuring captain talked us through the whole situation and gave us every piece of information he had.

The way we all cooperated and remained calm throughout the event made it easier for crew aboard to help us and for our captain to fly us to safety. No one screamed. The fact that we and other passengers paid less for a flight is not the reason for this planes accident. A technical problem like this could happen on any plane and Air Asia's cheaper flights are not to blame. The aircraft was checked thoroughly before departure like all planes are and was regulated by the same air safety organisations. People should not be criticising Air Asia for missing anything - technical problems happen all the time, even on more expensive flights. We didn't pay less for a technical problem, we paid less for no electronic devices, no meals and less leg room. Air Asia is an amazing company and i have flown with them many times before, always with great service and perfect take off and landing.

It disgusts me that people are criticising our captain for telling us to pray and are trying to get him fired. The full context was, "Everything is under control in the cockpit. If you want to say a prayer, that might help too." his ask for prayer was said in such way that it was only to make us feel better and if it helped that was an individual thing. He was professional. He was human. He was a reassuring voice during this event and gave us hope, he is the reason i am still alive and i cannot thank him enough. English was his second language and he had a little trouble speaking to us but what he said was enough. Interestingly, despite 80% of his passengers being Asian descent, he only spoke in English through the incident.

And to the people blaming Air Asia for the event, it was not their fault and they did their best to keep us comfortable during the incident and the aftermath. Yes, we did stay in an airport for several hours waiting on news of what was to happen next, but they provided us with vouchers for food and water and the wait was only to ensure the best for us. During this time it was telling that everyone was calm, tolerant and patient - not all like a standard 3-hr wait in a queue. We were given the choice of full refunds of tickets, a rescheduled flight, or to stay in the airport a little longer for a later flight. It took time because during the chaos period, they needed to work out a plan and then communicate that plan. I'd rather wait to get one correct story than get four hastily-delivered wrong stories.

For those of you criticising Air Asia, our pilot and we on board, please stop. The bravery of our crew and captain should be praised not criticised, they did the best they could for us, and everyone is safe.

Super proud of all my crew led by Captain Ibrahim. And first officer Vincent and Purser Ruijaruuneglai who did a superb heroic job bringing back everyone safely. Airasia don't make engines and all airlines have engine failures. But when it does happen it takes great pilots and great leadership in times of crisis. I'm beaming with pride. From videos you can see all guests calm , and from the many emails and whatsapp I got , the Captains announcements kept everyone calm. If it was a full service airline the pilot would have been a hero. But because it's a low cost carrier press and so called experts make wild accusations and forget the heroics of our crew. I want to thank the many Australians who have praised airasia for all we have done despite all the adverse press. Adelaide here we come.

https://www.facebook.com/tonyfernandes/posts/1067910083308829:0

A good article posted by the pax onboard, and it helps to clear up what was happening too.

People should not be criticising Air Asia for missing anything - technical problems happen all the time, even on more expensive flights. We didn't pay less for a technical problem, we paid less for no electronic devices, no meals and less leg room. Air Asia is an amazing company and i have flown with them many times before, always with great service and perfect take off and landing.

Well said. Many general public's misperception to budget airlines is low cost = poor safety.

There was a current affairs television panel program in Australia when commenting about the incident, one of the hosts said "what can you expect ? It is Air Asia' !

I think ADL is not included in the bilaterals.

Indeed. IIRC, the bilateral agreement only covers SYD, MEL, BNE & PER.

Well said. Many general public's misperception to budget airlines is low cost = poor safety.

There was a current affairs television panel program in Australia when commenting about the incident, one of the hosts said "what can you expect ? It is Air Asia' !

Some so called experts ought to be ashamed of themselves - LCCs are regulated under the same rules as legacy carriers by the same authorities. So if they are not safe, then so are the legacy carriers!

Since QZ8501, Airasia has subjected its group airlines to the IATA Operational Safety Audit. Airasia X has already been audited twice, in 2015 and 2016 - and they passed these audits. What happened to the Trent engine will have to be investigated thoroughly because the maintenance of this aircraft's engine is under the Rolls Royce TotalCare contract.

It will be interesting to see what conclusions the ATSB will arrive at, since they can examine all the evidence and question the crew.

overdramatic pilot..LOL

I don't think he was being overdramatic and it is not funny at all. He was battling with fan blade separation, with multiple warning blaring inside the cockpit and he had to reassure all 359 passengers and 9 crews everything was under control. And that he and co-pilot would do their best to bring the aircraft safely to the ground.

Most of us here, may not and will probably not face such critical situation in our life, what more when 359 + 9 lives in your hand. Rather than pouring sarcastic comment, we should appreciate their gutsy airmanship and give them a pat on their back; now that everyone is safe and sound now.

NST/BH interviews the pilot

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2017/06/253031/i-was-not-panicking-i-was-only-thinking-passengers-safety-pilot-airasia-x

Few quotes from the article:

he heard a sound which he took to be a collision between two metals

Ibrahim’s checks on the engine confirmed his theory, and he and his co-pilot, Vincent Low, shut down the engine before turning right and sending a mayday signal to the air traffic control centre in Perth.

“But when we were doing this, there was suddenly a terrible vibration. I and my assistant discussed the matter and looked at the position of the plane while considering our various options.

“We decided to reduce our speed to the minimum level allowed to reduce the vibration – but it did not work.

The emergency that we were undergoing did not require immediate landing. Based on Airbus’ and AirAsia’s SOP (standard operating procedure), emergency landings are permissible in cases involving fire and smoke.

“I had also not landed at Geraldton or Learmonth (because I was not familiar with) their locations or runways, and the plane was heavy. There was also a possibility that more equipment would get damaged in landing,” he added.

Just to add a little-known fact. Before he became a pilot, Capt Ibrahim was a flight engineer. As such he probably knows about the aircraft systems better than many other people.

Everything is under control in the cockpit. If you want to say a prayer, that might help too.

I dont understand what is so not reassuring about this statement. Everything is under control ( what is there not to understand about under control) the prayer statement it seems to be casual. Whats wrong with that? Aka in a football game ::we are hoping to get a win if you want to say a prayer that might help too.

Just because some are atheist doesnt mean others cant pray, goodness

Edited by Aaron Goh

Grounded also cause atsb needs her for investigation too. She will be out if action for quite some time.

Edited by JuliusWong

I believe it's a culture clash, I think it's fair to say Australians aren't as religious as other ethnicities.

Also recent tragedies involving Malaysian and Air Asia are still firmly in people's minds. The media here also here is a contributing factor as they consistently come up with sensational headlines and incidents receive significant air-time. We've also got a well-known aviation 'expert' in this country who likes to justify his ego and trawl the internet for historic events each time an incident occurs and is of the belief that low cost carriers are cutting corners and saving costs, thus jeopardizing safety.

But it's fair to say Malaysian carriers sadly, don't have a glowing reputation in this country with exception of OD who seem to of do-far successfully managed to fly under the radar.

I believe it's a culture clash, I think it's fair to say Australians aren't as religious as other ethnicities.

Yes, not everyone is religious and even religious people have varying degrees of religiousness, if you know what I mean!

Bottom line is that the crew brought the aircraft home safely and without any casualties. It will allow a proper investigation to be conducted by the manufacturer, airline and various authorities. Hopefully, that will mean that there will be no repeat of such an incident in the future.

Yes, not everyone is religious and even religious people have varying degrees of religiousness, if you know what I mean!

Bottom line is that the crew brought the aircraft home safely and without any casualties. It will allow a proper investigation to be conducted by the manufacturer, airline and various authorities. Hopefully, that will mean that there will be no repeat of such an incident in the future.

All good @flee, I follow you.

A lot of good can come out of this incident and a lot of benefit from subsequent investigations which are currently taking place. I do fear the CASA one with be scathing though.

It also needs to be kept in perspective how D7 handled the immediate aftermath of the incident reports differ greatly dependant on the passengers interviewed.

Engines fail from time to time it's inevitable, unfortunately for Rolls Royce they seem to be currently experiencing a higher than expected failure rate. Air Asia/D7's PR machine I believe can still turn this incident around.

What will be interesting is the extent of the damage and whether with the way -XXE was shaking the correct decision was made to return back to Perth 2 hours south on the one remaining engine, when there were closer suitable airports. Hindsight is a wonder thing.

Edited by Tom/PER

Everything is under control in the cockpit. If you want to say a prayer, that might help too.

It's all about context. As expected, the media chose to portray the statement in a "oh no we're going down, please say your last words along with your prayers" light.

I thought the video recording of the flight didn't capture the entire message from the pilot, am I correct? pretty sure he would have tell the passengers things are under control.

or the media simply decide to only air (and repeatedly air) the part where he asked passengers to pray?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWFnSsMlg6R/

Again, rare occasion. Two AirAsia X A330-343E at Perth Int'l Airport with 9M-XXA operating D7 233 yesterday 3rd July 2017

Meanwhile, Volga Dnepr IL-76TD-90VD RA-76503 has arrived in Perth just now from Subang as 'VDA8246', bringing replacement Rolls Royce engine for Air Asia X A330-343E 9M-XXE. Source

I thought the video recording of the flight didn't capture the entire message from the pilot, am I correct? pretty sure he would have tell the passengers things are under control.

or the media simply decide to only air (and repeatedly air) the part where he asked passengers to pray?

Yes, the one shown by media was just the "praying statement" part just to sensationalise the whole incident. There are other video which are actually longer.

Edited by JuliusWong

for me he's overdramatic, so? if i were one of those onboard, the last thing i would want to hear from the pilot is that he's leaving it to God to save the flight aka he has no control at all. simple logic

I suppose wrong choice of words here by the PIC. Human factor. If I were a passenger with the cabin rattling like that last word I want to hear is "pray". Also at one point he said something along the lines of our survival depends on your cooperation, again, not reassuring at all. Survive what? A one-engine out emergency landing on a proper runway at an airfield? This ain't Cactus 1549..

Did he said that he leaves it to God and did nothing? Man, give credit where it is due. He brought the plane down safely and everyone survived. If it was you who is the pilot, would that have happned? Hypothetical question.

No doubt he brought the a/c down safely, as would any other sufficiently trained air crew, that's in his job description. No need for a retort in the form of a hypothetical question, if Khalil was the pilot he would have landed it safely as he would have got similar training to the captain to end up in the left seat, wouldn't he? Enough gushing with the credit, let the investigation take its due course before we celebrate our own version of toned down Sully.

With the double incident the damage has been done though through no apparent fault of AK. Flying public is going to be wary of AK for now as they were when MH17 and 370 went down.

Captain Radzi said it best

To continue to judge the pilot even after all this says more about the person who is judging than the pilot to be honest...

Sign in to follow this