MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Kee Hooi Yen

Qatar Diplomatic Crisis - Airspace Closure, Qatar Airways

Qatar Airways' global operations remain unaffected': Al-Baker

“Our focus is on supporting our passengers and ensuring that we continue to deliver our award-winning service. As far as we are concerned, it is business as usual.”

But...

Bahrain Move Almost Totally Closes Off Qatar Airspace

'The government of Bahrain issued a new and more restrictive airspace closure Wednesday morning that appears to effectively shut down Qatar Airways and further isolate the Gulf nation by requiring all aircraft not registered in Bahrain to obtain prior approval to fly in or out of Qatar through Bahraini airspace.'

Qatar-airspace-closure-Bahrain-NOTAM-120

But...

FIR is different from territorial air space. Believe Bahrain couldn't close non-territorial FIR to QR aircraft.

Edited by KK Lee

FIR is different from territorial air space. Believe Bahrain couldn't close non-territorial FIR to QR aircraft.

Thanks for clarify things a bit...

Should be more cautious with mass media sensationalism...

Yes, if Bahrain does so, they are technically declaring war with Qatar. Let's hope some common sense prevails...

Yes, if Bahrain does so, they are technically declaring war with Qatar. Let's hope some common sense prevails...

Historically, arabs tribes/clans are rivalry.

I was on QR flights from EDI-DOH-KUL yesterday and the loads were very bad. On DOH-KUL flight, overall load was less than 40% on an A340-600. I wonder was this the effect of the existing air space ban imposed?

I was on QR flights from EDI-DOH-KUL yesterday and the loads were very bad. On DOH-KUL flight, overall load was less than 40% on an A340-600. I wonder was this the effect of the existing air space ban imposed?

I was on QR PEN-KL-DOH-AMS last few month, KL-DOH & DOH-KL was very bad loads. I don't think it is the effect of air space ban.

Maybe.previously there's some travel agencies using QR for the umrah pilgrimages. But with the ban,i guess they are forced to change to other airlines.

I noticed even the usually busy/ peak hours at DOH (between 12am and 2am) looked unusually 'less crowded' during my transit. I had passed through DOH several times within last 12 months and each time it was a lot busier, especially in the early morning. I really hope that QR could get through this very challenging time as soon as possible and not reducing the frequency to KUL. In the past few years, they consistently offered some cheap tickets between KUL and Europe. My return trip from EDI to KUL this summer was purchased in December last year, with less than GBP300 all inclusive.

Edited by I. Wong

Ramadhan is traditionally a low travel season. Most middle easterners and Msians / Muslim travellers prefer not to travel during this time. This explains the low load which this time around also coincides with the travel blockade in the GCC.

Sign in to follow this