MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

MAB to Lease 6 Ex-Air Berlin Airbus A330-200 Aircraft from February 2018

So they are about the same age as the rest of MH A333 fleet

If MH plans to restart Europe flights, which would would be the first? Amsterdam? Frankfurt?

Considering the KLM flights to KUL (with onwards connection to CGK) is almost always full despite the fare (at least 25-30% higher compared to when MH was still flying) I would say AMS is the logical choice

Asiana Airlines and Korean Airlines have each received their first A350 and B787 recently, possible for MH to pick up their PW A333 if OZ and KE are offloading? Seems like better idea than adding another fleet type/engine into the current line up.

MAS already have leased 4 A350s and are coming in by next year. If MAS really need the A333s or A332s, they should have just get it now at least instead of waiting for Alitalia fate and if Alitalia survives then the deal is off and MAS would have lost a good 6 months and more before it takes any real ation to get additional aircrafts as now clearly MAS is having not eough A333s to go by. And MAS should just lease or buy new aircrafts instead of getting 2nd hand ones for the longer term usage.

It's an okay interim solution if it materializes.

That said, I wonder if the interior products will be refurbished to match MAS' current A333s.

Leasing additional widebodies temporarily to address capacity issues is all good, but an inconsistent product (seats, IFE, etc) will affect branding and customer experience.

PB shouldn't think that he has the luxury of waiting it out too long for a cheap offer from Airbus and Boeing for new widebodies. With oil prices steadily creeping up and an improving global economy, his "buyers' market" theory will not hold true for long.

Excuse my ignorance, but why can't they just refurbish and repaint the MH B772's that litter KLIA?

Some of them are relatively late builds and the B772 is still an incredibly capable aircraft.

Why lease when you've got perfectly good airframes at your disposal??

Leasing additional widebodies temporarily to address capacity issues is all good, but an inconsistent product (seats, IFE, etc) will affect branding and customer experience.

I think Alitalia's cabin's comparable to MH's. In fact it looks more comfortable as it is fabric. Never liked leather seats on long haul flights - not good for body heat.

AZ:

Economy

4829873439_c7d05ed2ee.jpg

Business

Alitalia-A330-Business-Class-03.jpg

MH:

Economy

DSC04502.JPG

Business

bizClass_2.png

MAS already have leased 4 A350s and are coming in by next year. If MAS really need the A333s or A332s, they should have just get it now at least instead of waiting for Alitalia fate and if Alitalia survives then the deal is off and MAS would have lost a good 6 months and more before it takes any real ation to get additional aircrafts as now clearly MAS is having not eough A333s to go by. And MAS should just lease or buy new aircrafts instead of getting 2nd hand ones for the longer term usage.

MAS has 6 A350s on order from Aercap.

The A330 leases are an interim solution - MAB is due to make a new widebody order in the new future and the aircraft in that order will replace current A333s in the fleet as well as any leased aircraft they may take in the next two or three years.

Asiana Airlines and Korean Airlines have each received their first A350 and B787 recently, possible for MH to pick up their PW A333 if OZ and KE are offloading? Seems like better idea than adding another fleet type/engine into the current line up.

PB has already indicated that they are looking at bargain basement prices - so the price must be low enough to attract MAB to buy them.

Excuse my ignorance, but why can't they just refurbish and repaint the MH B772's that litter KLIA?

Some of them are relatively late builds and the B772 is still an incredibly capable aircraft.

IIRC, the former MAS owned only 4 of the B777 aircraft in their fleet. We are not sure if ownership of these are still with MAB. The rest of the aircraft are owned by lessors.

Actually.. a couple of those 777s could/should be looked at for TUDM acquisition.. combining the aircraft for troop transport (deployment), Air-to-air refuelling modification (would be the first of its type) and maybe even some form of AWACS... in thehypotethical world - I am loving what I imagine in my head ...

I think Alitalia's cabin's comparable to MH's. In fact it looks more comfortable as it is fabric. Never liked leather seats on long haul flights - not good for body heat.

AZ:

Economy

4829873439_c7d05ed2ee.jpg

Are you sure that's Economy? Looks more like Premium.

My goodness, seems like the A330s never dies out at MH...

If it works well for the airline, why not? Just because the pack has moved on to the 787/350 generation doesn't mean there's no value to be found in these older planes.

CX is one airline which likes to buy used planes. They bought second-hand 744s from SQ, and will soon get ex-EK 777s.

If it works well for the airline, why not? Just because the pack has moved on to the 787/350 generation doesn't mean there's no value to be found in these older planes.

CX is one airline which likes to buy used planes. They bought second-hand 744s from SQ, and will soon get ex-EK 777s.

Sure, but I am just speaking from a personal point of view. On the other hand, I have always wondered why airlines are still ordering the A330s CEOs and A330s NEOs even when the A350s are available.

CX bought a handful of ex-SQ and ex-South African 744s.

I have always wondered why airlines are still ordering the A330s CEOs and A330s NEOs even when the A350s are available.

Each airline has its reasons for choosing the equipment that they wish to operate their services on.

For MAB, they have already invested a lot of money on A330 operations and their crews and MRO will need little training and familiarisation on new A330ceos and A330neos. So, it makes sense for them to continue on this platform for at least another 10 years as their current equipment is still young. 15 aircraft isn't a big fleet and increasing the size to over 20 will bring in greater economies of scale.

Another factor is the price differences between the A350 and the A330 - PB has already mentioned that the A330 leasing market is now a buyers' market. This is because many of them are coming off leases as airlines upgrade to their new A350/B787 aircraft. So there is plenty to choose from and MAB can shop around for the lowest lease rates and the best terms.

There may be factors, e.g. rocketing oil prices, that might change that equation in future. For now, it is a sound decision to make. MAB is not loaded with cash - so they still have to spend wisely. So, let's see what they manage to get. 2H 2017 should be an interesting time for us!

Edited by flee

Well, Alitalia has just filed for bankruptcy. Get those A330s, PB! LOL

Alitalia just filed for administration. Now MAB can get their A332 at cheaper rate.

Alitalia Starts Bankruptcy Proceedings After Turnaround Fails

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-02/alitalia-starts-bankruptcy-proceedings-after-turnaround-fails

https://www.ft.com/content/b4ac4314-c9f4-3a4d-9d5a-5962ffd9b1f7

economy_class_woman_food.jpg

Alitalia Long Haul Economy

Is this means that MH will resume European destinations sooner if they can get those aircraft at their preferred rates? Do MH still have codeshare agreement with KL?

Alitalia just filed for administration. Now MAB can get their A332 at cheaper rate.

Alitalia Starts Bankruptcy Proceedings After Turnaround Fails

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-02/alitalia-starts-bankruptcy-proceedings-after-turnaround-fails

https://www.ft.com/content/b4ac4314-c9f4-3a4d-9d5a-5962ffd9b1f7

economy_class_woman_food.jpg

Alitalia Long Haul Economy

And now government bail out for 6 months to liquidate assets

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-alitalia-restructuring-idUSKBN17Y115

Edited by Ja Singh

American Airlines to retire all of its' A330 by 2018. Their A333 it is Pratt Whitney powered but quite aging (16-17 years) while RR powered A332 is still young (3-8 years). Hint for MAB?

American Airlines to retire all of its' A330 by 2018. Their A333 it is Pratt Whitney powered but quite aging (16-17 years) while RR powered A332 is still young (3-8 years). Hint for MAB?

I think those AA A333 will be picked up by charter airlines if price is right due to its age or send to desert straight away. MAB will definitely not take up such old aircraft, but then again it is MAB we are talking about, stranger things have had happened.

AA has no plan to release their RR powered A332 anytime soon due to larger number while those A333 will be retired this year. (15 A332 vs. 9 A333)

Apparently, RR's after sales customer service is not what MAB had expected and that was why they are looking at non-RR engined frames. Lets wait and see what MAB manages to get in a so-called buyer's market!

Apparently, RR's after sales customer service is not what MAB had expected and that was why they are looking at non-RR engined frames. Lets wait and see what MAB manages to get in a so-called buyer's market!

Thought they have previously dealt with RR as found on their former 777-200ERs. How different is that?

Is this means that MH will resume European destinations sooner if they can get those aircraft at their preferred rates? Do MH still have codeshare agreement with KL?

Can the A332 fly to any Europe destination from KUL non-stop? AFAIK, the A333 cant. If the A333s can do fly KUL-any Europe destination non-stop, surely we can see they resume Rome. Only with the A350 then MH can start flying to any Europe destination directly from KUL