MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

MAB to Lease 6 Ex-Air Berlin Airbus A330-200 Aircraft from February 2018

Yes 737 mybad

Will be flying MH to Perth Feb next year

On a 737 is very uncomfortable especially with the seat pitch on MAS 737. In addition on a full flight, the queue for the toilets.

On a 737 is very uncomfortable especially with the seat pitch on MAS 737. In addition on a full flight, the queue for the toilets.

Not really bad. Did BKI - NRT a couple of times. 7 hours? No complaint.

Edited by Waiping

I just survived the flight KUL-PER return last week. It was pretty OK for the seat pitch with the passenger in front of me reclining (and I am an oversized person) and, yes, agreed that the only horrible thing is the toilet queue. I think MH has improved the catering and I had decent meals on both flights (Nasi goreng with satay for outbound and Nasi lemak with rendang chicken plus half a hard boiled egg for return - certainly not telanjang). Cabin service was so so - crew disappeared after meals. Again, with the price that I paid for, I didn't expect anything else - just get me to my destination safely and on time - and both flights landed 15-20min ahead of schedule. I was a happy customer.

I just survived the flight KUL-PER return last week. It was pretty OK for the seat pitch with the passenger in front of me reclining (and I am an oversized person) and, yes, agreed that the only horrible thing is the toilet queue. I think MH has improved the catering and I had decent meals on both flights (Nasi goreng with satay for outbound and Nasi lemak with rendang chicken plus half a hard boiled egg for return - certainly not telanjang). Cabin service was so so - crew disappeared after meals. Again, with the price that I paid for, I didn't expect anything else - just get me to my destination safely and on time - and both flights landed 15-20min ahead of schedule. I was a happy customer.

Did kul/akl on the 330 200 multiple times,the last time 2 weeks back, i got an old 330 200 (no mood lighting) and was seated last row mid cabin with toilet behind,No recline for seat.Since I had the next seat vacant I managed t survive it. Service was above average from the crew on this flight as far as MH is concerned in recent times.Could be they felt sorry for my predicament but thats just an assumption on my end,

Also did kul london with A350 on that trip and cabin Y had only 80 of us,Sadly.Return flight was Qatar via Doha till kul,

They should use the old 330 200 for asian cities and the newer ones for akl.

Edited by Ja Singh

Not really bad. Did BKI - NRT a couple of times. 7 hours? No complaint.

I think whether you are comfortable or not depends on your physical size!

Read that someone who flew BA is suing them for being seated next to an obese pax! I think the poor chap must have suffered being smothered by that fat pax...

Stumbled on this from the youtube.

The business class IFE looks good. Would love to try this to Taipei somewhere early next year.

From FR24, these aircraft are deployed to the following destinations (don't know if it is the full list):

AKL

BKI

BKK

BOM

CAN

CGK

DAC
DPS
KCH

KIX

PVG

TPE

While some of the above are their regular destinations, others are equipment upgrades or substitutions for the A333. I wonder if MH is happy with these and if they are making a profit operating these frames as compared to their A333s.

Does anyone have any idea how these six frames are performing?

PS It seems that 9M-MTZ has not flown since 13 June 2019. What happened to it?

Edited by flee

-MTY has a similar interior with -MTZ. Will it spend time in the hangar later too for the same modifications?

Yes, but unlikely to get main landing gear change for MTY. A330-300 is quite buzy lately as MH gonna has wifi installation

- whats wrong with the main landing gear of -MTZ?

- I hope with the wifi installation, some (or much!) attention should also be given to cabin upkeep. The Y cabin interior, galley walls, the fixtures in the lavatories, seats require some repairs, refreshing or replacement (of broken parts).

Very poorly maintained so far.

Galley design, safety equiptment and first aid location on the A332 fleet is not streamlined its a headache for cabin crew. Really wondered how Air Berlin operates their aircraft with so many of them configured differently.

Yes, but unlikely to get main landing gear change for MTY. A330-300 is quite buzy lately as MH gonna has wifi installation

Wow, MAB are upgrading their A330 fleet - this suggests that they may be holding on to them for some time yet. The A330Ceo is still good for short to medium haul routes - since MAB is cash strapped, it would be wise to keep these aircraft for longer as they cost less to lease. The A350s are too expensive and fuel burn improvements may not be noticeable on short flights and at current oil prices.

Galley design, safety equiptment and first aid location on the A332 fleet is not streamlined its a headache for cabin crew. Really wondered how Air Berlin operates their aircraft with so many of them configured differently.

Won't be surprised with all those banged-up A332, they came from multiple sources, some have seen operation with many airlines before ended up with Air Berlin. Now the headache is passed onto MH. Beggar cannot be chooser, guess MH is re-living their headache when first batch of A332 came in 2003/4 (9M-MKT- 9M-MKX era). MH spent some money to standardise those A332 and return those jets to lessor with all the upgrades FOC.

I wonder if MH is interested in two more A332, Aigle Azur just parked their two after ceasing operation. Both are ex-Air Berlin, ZI kept their interior intact.

http://blog.flight-report.com/fr/aigle-azur-se-lance-dans-laventure-du-long-courrier/

Edited by JuliusWong

Wow, MAB are upgrading their A330 fleet - this suggests that they may be holding on to them for some time yet. The A330Ceo is still good for short to medium haul routes - since MAB is cash strapped, it would be wise to keep these aircraft for longer as they cost less to lease. The A350s are too expensive and fuel burn improvements may not be noticeable on short flights and at current oil prices.

The wifi installation was publicly announced by MH many weeks ago.

If only MH maintains the interior of its A330s like KA/ CX .... those two fly some of the oldest A330s (and 772/ 773s) around but the average pax wont be able to tell as the cabin upkeep is so good.

Would be nice if those ex Aigle Azur can be rotated as daytime flight to KUL/DEL & to KTM, all 3 are longest 738 route from KUL.