MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

MAB to Lease 6 Ex-Air Berlin Airbus A330-200 Aircraft from February 2018

Yeah, VA budgeted about RM55m for the make-over.

MH budgeted?

They can't even spend money to reconfigure their dugongs which they technically own, what more spending money to reconfigure leased planes?

Compared to what VA has done to refresh its ex-Air Berlin 332s .... https://thedesignair.net/2018/06/10/virgin-atlantic-renovate-their-a330-200s-to-align-with-the-rest-of-the-fleet/

MH's own ex-Air Berlin 332s look pitiful...like hardly any effort and zero cents invested in the interior.

Love the way VA describes and market their upper class suites as solo freedom suite, solo corner suite and love suite - wish MAB can be as creative as this too.

Compared to what VA has done to refresh its ex-Air Berlin 332s .... https://thedesignair.net/2018/06/10/virgin-atlantic-renovate-their-a330-200s-to-align-with-the-rest-of-the-fleet/

MH's own ex-Air Berlin 332s look pitiful...like hardly any effort and zero cents invested in the interior.

For me, the interior is good enough for a medium haul flight.. the important thing they need to make sure the IFE and also wifi working for this aircraft..!!

What's the status of these 332s :p

FR24 shows:

MTU - No flights for the past 7 days

MTV - 1 DAC run in the past week (16AUG)

MTW - AKL runs (9M-FSL on FR24?)

MTX - AKL runs

MTY - Undelivered (yet)?

MTZ - No flights for the past 7 days

Seems quite a slack on their 333 fleet as well with 1-2 sitting on the ground (probably due to 350/380 subs to SYD/HKG/NRT/ICN/LHR)

On Thursday I saw 5 MH A330s at remote bays near MTB KUL and another 2 at the cargo area.

I wonder why they were leased but not flown.

Edited by Radzi

On Thursday I saw 5 MH A330s at remote bays near MTB KUL and another 2 at the cargo area.

I wonder why they were leased but not flown.

9M-MTN went tech on Wednesday while doing MH122 SYD-KUL and it was still at SYD remote apron on Thursday. It seems they still have plenty of spare A330s even with one goes tech

Aren't they short of pilots? It is strange that they failed to recruit more pilots even though they are aware (for some time) that more aircraft will be joining their fleet.

Believe it is the shortage of 737s tech crew. And i was at the airport transit on wed 15 Aug at between 845am and 1020am - and could see 4 A330s ad one A350 at the remote bays. There seems now an "excess" of A330s as imagine 4 were parked at the remote bays at that time of day.

Aren't they short of pilots? It is strange that they failed to recruit more pilots even though they are aware (for some time) that more aircraft will be joining their fleet.

A lot are hired it's just sim clearance is slow. Mas own a330 sim is no longer usable(even for base checks is bad) as it's based on the old mk series from the late 90s and will be sold of. The actual a330s have already undergone 2-3 revision in performance from the 1998 to 2011 and their old sim cant simulate the enhancement accurately. They have fight queue with d7 and foreign clients at Gleneagles now. Some are even brought back to 737ng to clear the severe shortage on the fleet type.

Heard one level d sim cost approx 10-20mil usd and mab has difficulty financing that amount for the 737max or even a 2nd 737ng sim. The b744, a330, b734, f-50 sims are now up for sale but no buyers due to old software and graphics.

On another note the a380 fo are doing 90-105hours a month now. Emirates and qatar a380 tech crew usually average 40-60hours and still earn 2x more than the high hours roster that mab provides. So even the a380 will have some difficulty subbing the a330s in the long run.

Edited by jahur

A lot are hired it's just sim clearance is slow. Mas own a330 sim is no longer usable(even for base checks is bad) as it's based on the old mk series from the late 90s and will be sold of. The actual a330s have already undergone 2-3 revision in performance from the 1998 to 2011 and their old sim cant simulate the enhancement accurately. They have fight queue with d7 and foreign clients at Gleneagles now. Some are even brought back to 737ng to clear the severe shortage on the fleet type.

Heard one level d sim cost approx 10-20mil usd and mab has difficulty financing that amount for the 737max or even a 2nd 737ng sim. The b744, a330, b734, f-50 sims are now up for sale but no buyers due to old software and graphics.

On another note the a380 fo are doing 90-105hours a month now. Emirates and qatar a380 tech crew usually average 40-60hours and still earn 2x more than the high hours roster that mab provides. So even the a380 will have some difficulty subbing the a330s in the long run.

It shows, mh management scarified long term benefits for short term saving. It will take another few years for it to find a sound footing if it start to invest for the future now, also mean tax payers need to pump in a few more billions ringgit :( Edited by KK Lee

It shows, mh management scarified long term benefits for short term saving. It will take another few years for it to find a sound footing if it start to invest for the future now, also mean tax payers need to pump in a few more billions ringgit :(

Elsewhere FSC carriers receive adequate funding for product renewal but they don't bleed a lot compared to low yielding MH but they have also receive criticism by average people.

Vietnam Airlines have received criticism from their own citizens on the purchase of the B787-9 and their own pilots are leaving for vietjet while thai people have always believed the Thai Airways A380 flights were subsidised with taxpayers money as majority of the flights barely broke even their pilots are leaving as well. Garuda has gone still now as all next gen widebody such as the b787 and a350 mou got cancelled by Jokowi while their prestige b77w are flying empty to europe. The FSC market has become very volatile now if gov's around dont do anything they'll fade away very soon or will continue cost cutting to the point they'll be no different to the LCC type airline in product offering.

Edited by jahur

Elsewhere FSC carriers receive adequate funding for product renewal but they don't bleed a lot compared to low yielding MH but they have also receive criticism by average people.

Vietnam Airlines have received criticism from their own citizens on the purchase of the B787-9 and their own pilots are leaving for vietjet while thai people have always believed the Thai Airways A380 flights were subsidised with taxpayers money as majority of the flights barely broke even their pilots are leaving as well. Garuda has gone still now as all next gen widebody such as the b787 and a350 mou got cancelled by Jokowi while their prestige b77w are flying empty to europe. The FSC market has become very volatile now if gov's around dont do anything they'll fade away very soon or will continue cost cutting to the point they'll be no different to the LCC type airline in product offering.

Ideally, airline should commence new route with smaller aircraft e.g 240 seaters on long haul and grow with demand rather than start with oversized 77w or A359. It will takes ga few years to fill it's 77w to Europe.

Vn allocate it's 787 and 350 according to routes demand.

Tg has similar illness as mh, have too many undue political influence. One can observe many aircrafts idling at bkk and dmk.

Edited by KK Lee

Vietnam Airlines' pilots are leaving because Vietjet pays way better. But the aircraft choice is correct.

Has the 6th 332 arrive in KUL yet? My observation is that the evening PVG service has consistently being operated by 333. Another 332 destination maybe?

My observation is that the evening PVG service has consistently being operated by 333. Another 332 destination maybe?

For the past 2 weeks or so due to the Golden Week holidays in China :) but MH 386/387 will be operated by 332 on a regular basis at the end of the month. The A332 has a pretty low utilization rate as it is, not sure the 6th will help (but they should receive it next month).

AFAIK, 332 destinations for NW18/19 are:

- PVG (MH 386/387)

- TPE

- AKL

- DPS (MH714/715)

- CAN

- DAC (MH196/197)

Edited by Craig

The A332 has a pretty low utilization rate as it is, not sure the 6th will help (but they should receive it next month).

- PVG (MH 386/387)

- TPE

- AKL

- DPS (MH714/715)

- CAN

- DAC (MH196/197)

Yet PER still doesnt get any love :p

For the past 2 weeks or so due to the Golden Week holidays in China :) but MH 386/387 will be operated by 332 on a regular basis at the end of the month. The A332 has a pretty low utilization rate as it is, not sure the 6th will help (but they should receive it next month).

- PVG (MH 386/387)

- TPE

- AKL

- DPS (MH714/715)

- CAN

- DAC (MH196/197)

Add CGK (MH721 and the return)

Add CGK (MH721 and the return)

That I am a little surprised. I'd have thought BKK would have more demand than CGK (especially during BKK's peak winter season).

CGK - 42x 738 + 1x 332

BKK - 40x 738 + 2x 333

That I am a little surprised. I'd have thought BKK would have more demand than CGK (especially during BKK's peak winter season).

CGK - 42x 738 + 1x 332

BKK - 40x 738 + 2x 333

Is that weekly or daily?

If weekly - which I think it was meant to be, the 332 fro CGK could be a daily affair, hence 7x 332.

And for BKK, it varies where you may have 333 on Wed, Thu, Fri and Sun - although these may be randomly sub. by the 332 on certain days or weeks. And on certain weeks, the 333 is changed back to the 738, especially the Wed service.

Is that weekly or daily?

If weekly - which I think it was meant to be, the 332 fro CGK could be a daily affair, hence 7x 332.

And for BKK, it varies where you may have 333 on Wed, Thu, Fri and Sun - although these may be randomly sub. by the 332 on certain days or weeks. And on certain weeks, the 333 is changed back to the 738, especially the Wed service.

Oppps. Good catch. Its meant to be weekly. So CGK is 7x 332. Not sure why I typed 1x.

BKK is currently 4 weekly 332/333 mix. The NW18/19 schedule becomes almost exclusively Fri and Sun with 333 flights (I dont see a sub for the school holidays which usually see a spike in demand, especially for the first week).

All this of course doesnt take into consideration of flights consolidation or last minute sub. The 332 has previously operated to BKI on a few occasions too.