MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

MAB to Lease 6 Ex-Air Berlin Airbus A330-200 Aircraft from February 2018

It would be wise and practical to use these 6 A332s for its longer haul of over 8 hours as it have the range and more ie for its New Zealand service which MH uses its A333 with restricted payload as its almost 11 hours long.

It also depends on the equipment in the cabin. Not all six of MH's leased 332s are the same, galley-wise.

It also depends on the equipment in the cabin. Not all six of MH's leased 332s are the same, galley-wise.

Thanks for the info. But if MAS have decided to lease these A332s, then they should have in mind to use these for longer flights for 8 hours to near future 12/13 hours and hence have galleys that are equipped for the longer flights. Otherwise dont se why MAS would want to lease these planes for if its to use for more regional flights and they should have leased the larger A333s which can fly close to 10 hours without load restrictions.

Thanks for the info. But if MAS have decided to lease these A332s, then they should have in mind to use these for longer flights for 8 hours to near future 12/13 hours and hence have galleys that are equipped for the longer flights. Otherwise dont se why MAS would want to lease these planes for if its to use for more regional flights and they should have leased the larger A333s which can fly close to 10 hours without load restrictions.

Maybe there are no A333s available for the right price.

Previously MH mentioned that the initial intention of scouting the 332 is for 738 replacement which is due to return to lessor. The going under of AB was to MH's advantage as they claimed the lease the 332 at a very competitive price. The aircraft's default capability is just a default bonus.

Previously MH mentioned that the initial intention of scouting the 332 is for 738 replacement which is due to return to lessor. The going under of AB was to MH's advantage as they claimed the lease the 332 at a very competitive price. The aircraft's default capability is just a default bonus.

They were not specifically looking for A332s, just A330s in general.

But it should not be a problem having A332s - it actually gives them more flexibility to deploy them together with the existing A333s.

Ex AB equipment suits them down to the ground as they were looking for PW engined A330s.

Noticed 9M-MTV parked at Satelite Terminal last evening.

So far, it has only done some runs to BKK.

IFE was not functional but the welcome screen is always on. Could see Air Berlin IFE interface is nearly a gen ahead of mas current stock OS and inferior Ife hardware. It Would take a while to configure the software and load up media content. Wifi dome is also installed but not sure if MAB would introduce the same wifi package as the a350 flights or even turned it on.

Edited by jahur

IFE was not functional but the welcome screen is always on. Could see Air Berlin IFE interface is nearly a gen ahead of mas current stock OS and inferior Ife hardware. It Would take a while to configure the software and load up media content. Wifi dome is also installed but not sure if MAB would introduce the same wifi package as the a350 flights or even turned it on.

Why is the PTV non functional yet? Whats holding up the introduction of content? MH knew these birds were coming months ago.

Why is the PTV non functional yet? Whats holding up the introduction of content? MH knew these birds were coming months ago.

I think it has to do with hardware differences. The Berlin 332s were using a different Ife hardware and brand and even seems to sport a small gpu. All the 737s,330s and 380sare mostly laggy and touchscreens are not sensitive as todays standards. And not helping mab inferior os plus slower hardware I think the relevant department had to rewrite and recustomized the software so that it would be stable and I believe these are done partyly from third party vendors. It would then also have to undergo bug testing. In my opinion the only Ife model that resembles the 332 based on os sketch and looks are the mab 350s but that also the interface is not on par with SQ a and CX 350 IFEs. Not helping also is the planes immediate commercial deployment. Believe the plane would have to undergo few days of downtime for the relevant team to do testing and install media contents and it didn't happen. Believe mab is testing the os on the second aircraft instead. Edited by jahur

Some Interior shots of 9M-MTU that was deployed to Kota Kinabalu yesterday.

7QdDSN2.jpg

xFOPdEx.jpg

lUJFjst.jpg

2pmkQnr.jpg

SlEtxI6.jpg

Overall flight was okay but i dont think that economy class tight pitch is bearable for anything above 4 hours.

Yes, I generally find that, for me, seat pitch affects comfort more than seat width.

Deployment to China and India would be okay but not sure how the pax are going to endure AKL unless there's another different configured plane being delivered or they'll lower the ticket prices to d7 standards? Business Class is good though. My main problem with the A332's economy class is while it comes with nicely thick cushion but with the standard 738 legroom and seat pitch angle my knee would be touching the front seat if i wan to relax my seating posture and when the person infront reclines it will be kind of bit awkward as i would have to recline too to avoid the knee contact. I was caught off guard when the 737-800 had slightly more knee room due to the thinner cushion.

Edited by jahur

The plane is just in time for the increase of demand in the upcoming GE14 if many want to fly back to vote...

No, they are meant to be in time for Dhaka or Chittagong ad hoc charter flights instead..... :help:

Edited by S V Choong

No, they are meant to be in time for Dhaka or Chittagong ad hoc charter flights instead..... :help:

No need, they're here already...

Just booked a flight with MH and MH432 KUL-HKG will be serviced by these ex-Air Berlin A330-200s during October 2018.

Edited by S V Choong

Sadly, MTU and V have so far only undertaken a handful of flights since entering service.

I don't think they're operating MH130/131 to AKL either as per that routesonline update, pretty sure it's still A333's.