MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

MAB to Lease 6 Ex-Air Berlin Airbus A330-200 Aircraft from February 2018

from 25 now 42???

Would be interesting if MAB would change the interior of the second-hand widebody jets

or will the existing interior be good enough

Edited by David.W

from 25 now 42???

Would be interesting if MAB would change the interior of the second-hand widebody jets

or will the existing interior be good enough

You really need to read the article to understand the figures. Nothing new really that hasnt been mentioned before.

Will be great to see the 777 back in MAS.

Maybe there were good reasons for it, but I always thought it was premature to retire their 772s, some of which are still idling around KUL.

If only they refurbished them ages ago. They could have been put to good use now and allow MAS to capitalise on the increased demand while they sort out their long term wide body fleeting plans.

Will be great to see the 777 back in MAS.

Maybe there were good reasons for it, but I always thought it was premature to retire their 772s, some of which are still idling around KUL.

If only they refurbished them ages ago. They could have been put to good use now and allow MAS to capitalise on the increased demand while they sort out their long term wide body fleeting plans.

Would love to see the 777 in the stroke livery

rotate25.png

Would love to see the 777 in the stroke livery

rotate25.png

Full Wau please, not the cropped version :)

Would be the 777-300ER.... and 787 over A330neo please!!

Edited by S V Choong

That is a nice pic.

Personally I would like to see the 777 and 787 in our inventory.

Switching to Boeing will be a challenge for a company in recovery mode.....

Personally, I hope it is anything BUT the B777. Having MH flying the B777 again so soon feels like an insult to me and colleagues.

the 777 would be interim to restart AMS in 2019/2020? Why not increase the A350 fleet

The price for leased 777 would be dropping below the a350 even if it means more money spend on a different plane type instead of a common fleet

interesting..

Edited by David.W

the 777 would be interim to restart AMS in 2019/2020? Why not increase the A350 fleet

The price for leased 777 would be dropping below the a350 even if it means more money spend on a different plane type instead of a common fleet

interesting..

If this happens, it is MAB returning to the bad old times - making shortsighted and short term decisions so that the CEO of the time can show nice "profit" numbers for one or two years....

Then he can claim his big bonus and vanish.

Any idea what the current status is of the stored 772?

Dose MAB actually still own any?

1. 9M-MRA- Stored at KUL as 9M-MRA
  2. 9M-MRB- Scrapped as 2-MMRB at LETL
  3. 9M-MRC- Being prepared at PVG for VIM Airlines as VP-BDX
  4. 9M-MRD- Crashed as MH17
  5. 9M-MRE- Stored at KUL as 9M-MRE
  6. 9M-MRF- Active with Vim Airlines as VP-BVA
  7. 9M-MRG- Scrapped as N703AC at Lake Charles
  8. 9M-MRH- Stored as N318MY at GYR, bought by Delta Air Lines as spare aircraft
  9. 9M-MRI- Scrapped as N105GT at TLV
  10. 9M-MRJ- Active with Vim Airlines as VP-BDW
  11. 9M-MRK- Scrapped as 9M-MRK at SFB
  12. 9M-MRL- Stored at SZB as 9M-MRL, supposedly going to Bayu Air
  13. 9M-MRM- Stored SZB as 9M-MRM, supposedly going to Bayu Air
  14. 9M-MRN- Stored at KUL as 9M-MRN
  15. 9M-MRO- Crashed as MH370
  16. 9M-MRP- Stored SZB as 9M-MRP, supposedly going to Bayu Air
  17. 9M-MRQ- Stored at KUL as 9M-MRQ, being prepared for Bayu Air

Why not outsource all the proposed 772 routes to Bayu Air ? :D

Edited by BC Tam

so,PB don't mind acquiring A332 with GE engines? I thought he is looking for A333.

http://www.thestar.com.my/business/business-news/2017/04/26/malaysia-airlines-offers-to-lease-a330s-from-alitalia/

According to Peter, MH could take 6 to 8 A330s from AZ. And there are 2 configurations on their A330s:

1st configuration: 20J,17Y+ & 219Y

2nd configuration : 22J & 240Y

(info: Wikipedia)

However, the 2nd configuration is gradually being replaced with the 1st configuration.

AZ A332 3 class configuration (source: seatguru):

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Alitalia_Airlines/Alitalia_Airlines_Airbus_A330_200.php

so,PB don't mind acquiring A332 with GE engines? I thought he is looking for A333.

Yes, he has said a few times - they are looking for A333s with PW engines.

Perhaps, these A332s are going to be used for a return to Europe and the longer range routes? With low oil prices, the economics might still be OK.

"Malaysia Airlines wants to lease between six and eight A330s or Boeing 777s for use from 2018 and a further seven to nine for 2019, he said."

wow B777 .. is this a hint that MH will resume flights to AMS early 2018? heard rumors from cabin crew

AZ has a decent business class with 1 2 1 config

Which is similar in layout to EK's A380 biz class but without the bling and gold

MAS should have pick up at least 4 A330s from last year as obviously its current fleet of A330s is not enough as there were seat refurbishment etc and even of late its A380s have to be substituted to MEL and SYD because of a shortage of A330s availabilty due to likely maintenance issues. MAS shoud have picked up the few used A330s which SIA had returned to Airbus as SIA do maintained the planes fairly well and they are only 5 years old.

Note these are a330-200. Alitalia unit are delivered post 2010 so theyre fairly new with some range improvements. The 200 series carries way less passengers, about 250 in 2 class config than the 300s. Not sure how their revenue is gonna be but these a330s will be able to tap into europe without needing the b777s.

Yes, he has said a few times - they are looking for A333s with PW engines.

Perhaps, these A332s are going to be used for a return to Europe and the longer range routes? With low oil prices, the economics might still be OK.

Probably win situation as it brings more pax than the 738 and carries enough range for europe. The problem would be how MH is going to counter the 30-40 less seats than their A330-300 in terms of revenue and pricing without distancing their customers.

So they are about the same age as the rest of MH A333 fleet

If MH plans to restart Europe flights, which would would be the first? Amsterdam? Frankfurt?

Edited by David.W

So they are about the same age as the rest of MH A333 fleet

If MH plans to restart Europe flights, which would would be the first? Amsterdam? Frankfurt?

AMS is more likely. MH was enjoying a healthy load for AMS route ( yes, i know healthy load doesn't necessarily means it was making money).

and now KL is flying 10x weekly to KUL.