MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
JuliusWong

Malaysia Airlines B737-8H6 9M-MXX skidded off runway at SBW

I agree, too many cynical and or sarcastic comments didn't help to paint the right picture and to know the truth. I am fully aware that most of the members here are not a pilot, thus their comments are more emotionally driven rather than factual basis.

Anyway.......

You DO realise that these statements are in defense of MH, not in criticism of it? The real dig is at the keyboard warriors cum FB armchair aviation experts criticizing MH when they weren't there that night. I grant you it's a brand of humor not everyone gets and the true meaning is hidden in wit.... because clearly very few people got the slides deployment line.

All said, that's what it is - the cynicism/dry humor/sarcasm or whatever you want to call it has nothing to do with "painting any picture". It's a reminder that nobody really knows what happened and waiting for the official report is wise. And trust me, these comments aren't emotionally driven at all. Far from it. It's typed with a wry smile :)

Like with any incident, a gajillion keyboard warriors weren't at the scene of the accident, but as usual on some social media.. they're going great guns posting assumptions with technical and factual data they do not have. Somehow, inevitably, MH370/17 and no peanuts in nasi lemak gets dragged into it......

This "armchair expert" phenomenon happens in many an industry of public interest, ( I say public interest cause nobody really cares about how they make kitty litter for example) - and it is to these armchair experts that the jabs are pointed.... Not MH, not the Skipper, not SBW, not BKI, not the "weather" and certainly not MH cost cutting by cutting slide deployment :)

glad everyone is safe from this mishap.

what happened has happened, however it seems both MABs (Malaysia Airlines & Malaysia Airport Holdings) lack prep to deal with incidents at airports other than KLIA.

Sibu airport only expected to open 10/4 Monday Noon. 37 hours to clear a runway ? News reports pending "Recovery Kit" from Kuching & Kuala Lumpur. Kuching is only 4 hours drive by bus, couldn't the equipment come on a trailer ?

Also didn't see the logo or titles masked over on the aircraft. Isn't this a logical step to minimize bad publicity ?

what happened has happened, however it seems both MABs (Malaysia Airlines & Malaysia Airport Holdings) lack prep to deal with incidents at airports other than KLIA.

It would seem to be that way - no one has learnt anything from the MH370/MH17 twin disasters. Very sad.... :angry2:

glad everyone is safe from this mishap.

Sibu airport only expected to open 10/4 Monday Noon. 37 hours to clear a runway ? News reports pending "Recovery Kit" from Kuching & Kuala Lumpur. Kuching is only 4 hours drive by bus, couldn't the equipment come on a trailer ?

Also didn't see the logo or titles masked over on the aircraft. Isn't this a logical step to minimize bad publicity ?

Errr...you do realise SBW is hardly the centre of the universe to be prepped up for all eventualities...and stuff do cost more than a dime.

BWN - a far bigger airport was paralysed for much more when a similar incident happened with that wayward AK plane...

But I agree with the general view that if MH could be less cost conscious and deploy all four slides, it would have received accolades from pax having a much more fun time sliding down the rear slides at a steeper gradient...and the grounds must be soft anyway with all the torrential downpour, so the pax would not feel anything more than a teeny weeny pin prick when they eventually land off the end of the slide...

Errr...you do realise SBW is hardly the centre of the universe to be prepped up for all eventualities...and stuff do cost more than a dime.

BWN - a far bigger airport was paralysed for much more when a similar incident happened with that wayward AK plane...

But I agree with the general view that if MH could be less cost conscious and deploy all four slides, it would have received accolades from pax having a much more fun time sliding down the rear slides at a steeper gradient...and the grounds must be soft anyway with all the torrential downpour, so the pax would not feel anything more than a teeny weeny pin prick when they eventually land off the end of the slide...

That's what buffaloes are for. They can be led into the airfield and tow the plane away (just like how they used to irrigate the paddy fields).

I say deploy the rear slides so I can get a better bang for my buck when sliding down those slides :D I get a more exhilarating ride instead of one that's close to ground at a smaller angle.

Heard over the radio that SBW reopened for business at midnight - recovery went better than expected apparently

No mention though whether services of any buffaloes were engaged :D

From this angle it doesn't look that bad - kind of like how this SQ 777 went off the runway in Munich back in 2012.

Evidence there that those SQ people are tighter penny pinchers than MH bean counters - you see a single slide having been deployed at Munich ? :D Edited by BC Tam

Evidence there that those SQ people are tighter penny pinchers than MH bean counters - you see a single slide having been deployed at Munich ? :D

Thats nothing! Even if there is an inferno, no slides need to be deployed. Expensive to repack or replace. Just wait for mobile stairs....

In 2017 there are still people who believe in this? Personally covering up the logo is a worse step that can be taken, as the whole world already knows whose aircraft was involved. The Sinchew Daily reporter and editor could be the minority exception.

Not in an age when passengers are able to live-tweet their evacuation.

MH will just end up looking even more silly. Remember this TG incident at BKK (which looks worse than this SBW case)?

Or maybe the passengers didn't update their contact details or used a third party to book, hence they didn't receive the notification.

Happened to me after they decided to close down Langkawi & AirAsia cancelled on my travel party. Since we were traveling on a company trip & booking was done via travel agent we didn't get the memo.

none of them said that and the fact is there's no notification which should be sent at least via sms and email anyway

SBW is reopened now. MASWing's morning flight from MYY was the first flight to land at SBW after the reopening of the airport. Other flights had been retimed to afternoon.

145212.jpg

http://news.seehua.com/?p=264305

Good job by those responsible for recovering the aircraft and re-opening the airport.

Does anyone know where the damaged aircraft is stored now?

This incident itself definitely crippling our air connectivity for the entire weekend, and me myself was shocked upon hearing the news at first, and upon checking it out, it is confirmed later on. Definitely a not good moment for SBW, as we're just about to recover from the Chicken Wings fiasco (i'll just skip that part in order to keep on topic).

Does anyone know where the damaged aircraft is stored now?

AFAIK, the damaged aircraft is currently parked at remote bay (not far from the control tower).

This incident itself definitely crippling our air connectivity for the entire weekend, and me myself was shocked upon hearing the news at first, and upon checking it out, it is confirmed later on. Definitely a not good moment for SBW, as we're just about to recover from the Chicken Wings fiasco (i'll just skip that part in order to keep on topic).

AFAIK, the damaged aircraft is currently parked at remote bay (not far from the control tower).

I have phobia eating KFC and McD for next few months......but I just couldn't resist the uberly- crunchy tempting Ayam Goreng McD nowadays!!

Ok, back to the topic, guess MH will station few engineers at SBW for repair work. Does Boeing gets involved in the repair?

I have phobia eating KFC and McD for next few months......but I just couldn't resist the uberly- crunchy tempting Ayam Goreng McD nowadays!!

Ok, back to the topic, guess MH will station few engineers at SBW for repair work. Does Boeing gets involved in the repair?

Not sure about it; as MH didn't mention in their previous statements. My guess the work will be carried out by MH MRO staff.

The fact that the aircraft went off the runway around the middle means they landed properly, but unable to control the aircraft after landing. If they overrun the runway then an incidence has happened before landing such as deviating from GS or improper speed.

Any further comments will be reserved until further information are known.

According to pax account, they landed safely. But only knew they skidded after disembark.

Btw I flew above Sibu Airport on the day they reopened it while enroute from Bintulu to Kuching. It seems that they keep the disabled aircraft at Bay 1A and Bay 1B. Just in front of the control tower.

Edited by GeO

Arrived at SBW from KUL last night and MXX has already left

Oh really? Didn't knew about that. Thanks for the info

If the runway is short and poor gradient and loads of pothole like sandakan or kota bharu or theres need to vacate early due to traffic behind, usually they'll do a firm landing (some categorize as hard). It feels like a hard slam to prevent unnecessary floating to bounce or late toucheown. Then there are pilots who love greasers these are the landings you dont feel a thing. But i notice all my rides on the a330, a350, b767, b777s widebodies have been greasers or cushioned landing feeling quite different from the a320 and b737s.

Edited by jahur

Arrived at SBW from KUL last night and MXX has already left

9M-MXX is still in SBW, however its been repositioned just across the GA hangar apron.