MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
BC Tam

WP Labuan

Low Cost Carrier Terminal in Labuan
LABUAN: Ministry of Federal Territories plans to turn Labuan into a new Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) hub for countries in the East Asian region
read here: http://www.newsabahtimes.com.my/nstweb/fullstory/13830

Yes, let's have another hub ! :)

I like best the bit right at the end though

At the ceremony, the minister also gave away prizes to winners of several competitions including “Fly the Federal Territories Flag” and the best “1Malaysia Kenduri Camp”.

Where can I sign up for a Kenduri Camp ?! :lol:

Low Cost Carrier Terminal in Labuan

LABUAN: Ministry of Federal Territories plans to turn Labuan into a new Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) hub for countries in the East Asian region

read here: http://www.newsabahtimes.com.my/nstweb/fullstory/13830

Yes, let's have another hub ! :)

I like best the bit right at the end though

Where can I sign up for a Kenduri Camp ?! :lol:

Pardon me for my ignorance, can the local hotel support the influx of LCC traffic? Labuan is an island with limited population. It will be a hassle for Brunei and KK folks to take a boat ride to catch a flight.

Pardon me for my ignorance, can the local hotel support the influx of LCC traffic? Labuan is an island with limited population. It will be a hassle for Brunei and KK folks to take a boat ride to catch a flight.

Opportunity to include a link bridge into the package ? ;)

Or perhaps a new runway that is long enough to connect the inland and the island ?

Bullet train to KK and Miri. Like what Hokkien would say "Ho Sei Liao"!

The boat ride takes about 3 hours between Labuan and KK from memory?

Agree bro. Ride a boat to Labuan Island just to catch an international flight somewhere else? That wouldnt make any sense at all.

Or is it just sweets for local Labuan residents since election is just around the corner.

Edited by GeO

The boat ride takes about 3 hours between Labuan and KK from memory?

That is correct.

I think Sabah-Labuan bridge is more pressing matter than LCCT.

I recently talked with a relative who works at one of the offshore banks in Labuan where only few employees work there.

He was forced to call it sick on Monday because it is difficult to book a spot for his car (he bring along his family to mainland) on the Labuan-Menumbok ferry on weekend.

For late afternoon schedule on Sunday, that would mean he has to drive from KK early morning to reach Menumbok.

That is despite his boss discouraged so many staff to take extra days off at the same time to minimise disruption to the the bank's operation.

A bridge would have eliminate those issues.

I think Sabah-Labuan bridge is more pressing matter than LCCT.

I recently talked with a relative who works at one of the offshore banks in Labuan where only few employees work there.

He was forced to call it sick on Monday because it is difficult to book a spot for his car (he bring along his family to mainland) on the Labuan-Menumbok ferry on weekend.

For late afternoon schedule on Sunday, that would mean he has to drive from KK early morning to reach Menumbok.

That is despite his boss discouraged so many staff to take extra days off at the same time to minimise disruption to the the bank's operation.

A bridge would have eliminate those issues.

The population vs. cost simply do not justify the viability of a bridge.

Labuan is not Penang, the latter has a pretty important IT industry and substantial population size.

On top of that, Malaysia is not China, where massive infrastructure projects are used to justify GDP....

Edited by S V Choong

Labuan is not Penang, the latter has a pretty important IT industry and substantial population size.

On top of that, Malaysia is not China, where massive infrastructure projects are used to justify GDP....

A Chinese firm offered to build the bridge with just a land swap near the project site.

I still think a bridge would have greater positive impact to Labuan and mainland Sabah than investing in LCCT. I would expect that if a bridge is materialised, it would be a single carriageway cantilever bridge and it would eliminate hours of non-productivity for the sake of just queuing for the ferry, and goods can be transported at cheaper cost.

Sign in to follow this