MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
RobK

Batik Malaysia 737 MAX 8

I actually think their J product is quite good with more comfy seats and pace than the MH 737.

Will not be happy if I find I've been downgraded to Y on my regular flights

KUL-SIN flights are not going to be a regular route that the Max will operate for long. I think it will be only for the training and familiarisation phase of the new aircraft type before they are deployed to their newly assigned routes - those longer routes to Bangladesh, Nepal, India and Pakistan.

We can compare with how AK now deploy their A320Neos these days - usually 4 sectors flown per day to Hong Kong, Macau, Shenzen and Bali.

Those Pearl Delta destinations are amongst the longest routes that AK operate - so fuel savings will be bigger for them. Denpasar is probably operated with the Neo because of the huge demand for seats. XT also operates A330-300 flights on this sector!

So these new fuel efficient aircraft are now used to maximise effect for the airlines.

I think there is no harm in trying this configuration for low yield routes - but it also mean that the fleet is getting more complicated, with different subfleets for different routes. The challenge for Malindo is to be able to juggle all this successfully and return good financial results.

Believe Lion group would allocate them proper cabin configured max8 in the future, as for now the single class planes will be delivered initially and deployed on lower tier sectors.

Believe Lion group would allocate them proper cabin configured max8 in the future, as for now the single class planes will be delivered initially and deployed on lower tier sectors.

They are only scheduled to receive 4 Max aircraft this year. So all of them will be LCC 180 seaters.

Anyway, it is a very simple thing to transfer aircraft around the group - so if this subfleet does not work out, they can just pass it on to Thai or Indonesia Lion later on...

Lion Group's Malindo Air opts for single class configuration on 737-8 as MAX deliveries begin

Malaysia’s Malindo Air has opted for an all economy 180-seat configuration for its new fleet of Boeing 737 MAX 8s, a decision which represents an unexpected strategic adjustment, given that it has been reinforcing its position as a full service airline. Malindo currently operates 29 current generation 737-800/900s in two class configuration on more than 30 international routes.
Malindo, which is part of Indonesia’s Lion Group and will soon be rebranded as Batik Malaysia, plans to use its initial fleet of four 737 MAX 8s primarily on existing routes to South Asia and China that have limited premium demand. Dhaka in Bangladesh, Kathmandu in Nepal, and Lahore in Pakistan are among the initial regular routes for Malindo’s MAX fleet. Kuala Lumpur-Singapore will be the first revenue flight for the MAX, scheduled for 22-May-2017, but this is a one off for ceremonial, rather than commercial, purposes.
Malindo, along with Southwest and Norwegian, are the launch customers for the MAX and deliveries to all three airlines are slated to begin by the end of May-2017. Malindo is the launch operator and will have five more seats in its 737 MAX 8s than Southwest, but nine fewer seats than Norwegian.
More:

Malindo Air Part 2: new all economy 737 MAX fleet results in more direct competition with AirAsia

Malaysia’s Malindo Air will be able to compete better against AirAsia and other LCCs as the Lion Group affiliate starts to deploy its new fleet of Boeing 737 MAX 8s on routes with limited premium demand. Malindo plans to take four 737 MAX 8s by the end of Jun-2017 and use the new type on routes of three to seven hours to South Asia and China.
Most of Malindo’s 737 MAX routes are highly competitive and are served by rival AirAsia. The new aircraft, with its dense all economy configuration and improved fuel efficiency, should enable Malindo to reduce its already low unit costs significantly, resulting in improved profitability in several markets.
This is the second half of a two part analysis report on Malindo and its new fleet of 737 MAX aircraft. The first half focused on Malindo’s emergence as the 737 MAX launch operator, with its decision to use all economy aircraft and a 31in pitch without IFE, in contrast to its two class aircraft with 32in pitch and IFE on its existing 737-800/900ER fleet.
In this half of the report CAPA will examine in detail how the 737 MAX 8 fits into the Malindo network and should improve its performance on several medium haul routes.

Malindo Air Part 2: new all economy 737 MAX fleet results in more direct competition with AirAsia

Malaysias Malindo Air will be able to compete better against AirAsia and other LCCs as the Lion Group affiliate starts to deploy its new fleet of Boeing 737 MAX 8s on routes with limited premium demand. Malindo plans to take four 737 MAX 8s by the end of Jun-2017 and use the new type on routes of three to seven hours to South Asia and China.

Most of Malindos 737 MAX routes are highly competitive and are served by rival AirAsia. The new aircraft, with its dense all economy configuration and improved fuel efficiency, should enable Malindo to reduce its already low unit costs significantly, resulting in improved profitability in several markets.

This is the second half of a two part analysis report on Malindo and its new fleet of 737 MAX aircraft. The first half focused on Malindos emergence as the 737 MAX launch operator, with its decision to use all economy aircraft and a 31in pitch without IFE, in contrast to its two class aircraft with 32in pitch and IFE on its existing 737-800/900ER fleet.

In this half of the report CAPA will examine in detail how the 737 MAX 8 fits into the Malindo network and should improve its performance on several medium haul routes.

See: https://centreforaviation.com/insights/analysis/malindo-air-part-2-new-all-economy-737-max-fleet-results-in-more-direct-competition-with-airasia-345060

"AirAsia will also take delivery of A321neos, which will be able to seat up to 240 passengers, from 2019."

Is AirAsia looking at taking in A321???

Not sure whether it is easy for them to permute different Jets configuration, but well; what CAPA suggested in the article can be tried; especially when their domestic footprint is so small while the regional and medium haul routes are growing fast!

I think the Lion Group has said enough about Batik Malaysia being the "international arm" of Batik Indonesia. This is one way to work around the EU Blacklist. That is one of the reasons why Malindo Air has focussed on international operations with only a few domestic feeder routes.

I think the turbo prop operations were established to spoil Firefly's market more than making money for themselves.

From a consumer perspective it's a mess and you may book ticket thinking you get IFE and 32' seat pitch but then find Something else.

Saw some of my friends on facebook already complaining the lack of IFE's lol. But fact is the seat pitch on malindo max8 is still slightly ahead and roomier than MH abysmal 738s.

Saw some of my friends on facebook already complaining the lack of IFE's lol. But fact is the seat pitch on malindo max8 is still slightly ahead and roomier than MH abysmal 738s.

True but they have been advertising 32 inch seat pitch. Now I guess the small print will say on selected aircraft only.