MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
RobK

Batik Malaysia 737 MAX 8

I've moved over from the dark side, but not really into the new company yet. Still under training.

Captain, sounds like being trained for the B737-800 or B737-900ER?

Dont know why but Malindo always skip alphabet A, B, E, I,N, O and X in their registration.

Interesting observation. Lion Air seem to have an aversion to certain letter endings as well, namely A-E, N or X.

In the past, their first aircraft seems to end with the letter F. E.g 9M-LMF was their first ATR72-600, 9M-LNF was their first B737-900ER.

They seem to have broken it with the Max... starting at 9M-LRC.

Hope my flight to DPS on Malindo this May19th will be using the 737MAX.

Not likely - the first flights will be to Singapore and Bangkok.

180Y...what will its seat pitch be...

News is that it will be maintained as per the current seat pitch. 32 inches generally, and 31 inches at certain rows where design requirements don't permit 32 inches.

Malindo Air Takes Delivery Of First 737 MAX Aircraft

Boeing today marked the first delivery of the new 737 MAX. The airplane, a 737 MAX 8, was handed over to Malindo Air at the Seattle Delivery Center. The Malaysia-based airline will be the first to put the 737 MAX into commercial service.
“This airplane will change the face of the single-aisle market,” said Boeing Commercial Airplanes president and CEO Kevin McAllister. “The 737 MAX 8 is the best in its class, providing unmatched performance and economics for our airline customers.”
Last March, it was announced that the Lion’s Air subsidiary will be the launching operator of the aircraft expected to enter into service on May 19, from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore as OD803; to debut on the Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok Don Muang route later in the day. But Boeing halted the flights of its 737 MAX fleet, citing issues related with CFM’s International LEAP-1B powerplant.

More: https://airwaysmag.com/manufacturer/malindo-air-celebrate-first-737-max-delivery/

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/737max/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socialpost&utm_campaign=bca-737max%20|%20max8-first-delivery&utm_content=var:%20day-of%20|%20date:%202017-05

IIRC, OD usually stops in Marshall Islands. One stop only...

But it could be due to the problems with the LEAP engine - they are flying closer to coastlines in case there is an emergency.

Lion Group's Malindo Air opts for single class configuration on 737-8 as MAX deliveries begin

Malaysia’s Malindo Air has opted for an all economy 180-seat configuration for its new fleet of Boeing 737 MAX 8s, a decision which represents an unexpected strategic adjustment, given that it has been reinforcing its position as a full service airline. Malindo currently operates 29 current generation 737-800/900s in two class configuration on more than 30 international routes.
Malindo, which is part of Indonesia’s Lion Group and will soon be rebranded as Batik Malaysia, plans to use its initial fleet of four 737 MAX 8s primarily on existing routes to South Asia and China that have limited premium demand. Dhaka in Bangladesh, Kathmandu in Nepal, and Lahore in Pakistan are among the initial regular routes for Malindo’s MAX fleet. Kuala Lumpur-Singapore will be the first revenue flight for the MAX, scheduled for 22-May-2017, but this is a one off for ceremonial, rather than commercial, purposes.
Malindo, along with Southwest and Norwegian, are the launch customers for the MAX and deliveries to all three airlines are slated to begin by the end of May-2017. Malindo is the launch operator and will have five more seats in its 737 MAX 8s than Southwest, but nine fewer seats than Norwegian.
More:

Lion Group's Malindo Air opts for single class configuration on 737-8 as MAX deliveries begin

Malaysia’s Malindo Air has opted for an all economy 180-seat configuration for its new fleet of Boeing 737 MAX 8s, a decision which represents an unexpected strategic adjustment, given that it has been reinforcing its position as a full service airline. Malindo currently operates 29 current generation 737-800/900s in two class configuration on more than 30 international routes.
Malindo, which is part of Indonesia’s Lion Group and will soon be rebranded as Batik Malaysia, plans to use its initial fleet of four 737 MAX 8s primarily on existing routes to South Asia and China that have limited premium demand. Dhaka in Bangladesh, Kathmandu in Nepal, and Lahore in Pakistan are among the initial regular routes for Malindo’s MAX fleet. Kuala Lumpur-Singapore will be the first revenue flight for the MAX, scheduled for 22-May-2017, but this is a one off for ceremonial, rather than commercial, purposes.
Malindo, along with Southwest and Norwegian, are the launch customers for the MAX and deliveries to all three airlines are slated to begin by the end of May-2017. Malindo is the launch operator and will have five more seats in its 737 MAX 8s than Southwest, but nine fewer seats than Norwegian.
More:

PR spin for "it wasn't supposed to be for us, but we'll take them anyway" :db:

PR spin for "it wasn't supposed to be for us, but we'll take them anyway" :db:

Wasn't this first lot originally meant for Lion/Thai Lion?

But knowing Malaysia's penchant for "prestige" and "status" - the temptation for Malindo to show off its status of "launch operator" was too hard to resist! :diablo: ;)

Edited by flee

Does anyone know if 9M-LRC will have its Batik Malaysia logo stickered over with the Malindo titles this time?

In the case of Malindo, its hardly a question of "penchant for prestige". Decisions made are usually from the group level, i.e. Lion. Malindo's job is to execute, with little room to say no or yes.

No J seats lol though it wont make a difference i never really liked what was offered on their business class after trying them out twice on domestic and regional.

Edited by jahur

No J seats lol though it wont make a difference i never really liked what was offered on their business class after trying them out twice on domestic and regional.

I think there is no harm in trying this configuration for low yield routes - but it also mean that the fleet is getting more complicated, with different subfleets for different routes. The challenge for Malindo is to be able to juggle all this successfully and return good financial results.

I actually think their J product is quite good with more comfy seats and pace than the MH 737.

Will not be happy if I find I've been downgraded to Y on my regular flights