MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
BC Tam

New BKI Proposed

KK needs bigger airport – Mavcom
January 18, 2017, Wednesday Chok Sim Yee

KOTA KINABALU: Kota Kinabalu needs a new, bigger airport as the influx of tourists will push the existing Kota Kinabalu International Airport (KKIA) to its full runway capacity of 13 million passengers annually in the next five years, says Malaysian Aviation Commission (Mavcom) executive chairman General Tan Sri Abdullah bin Ahmad.

Abdullah said a study was currently being conducted by the State Government and Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB), which was expected to be completed in less than a year, while a separate study carried out by Mavcom was almost completed.

“A study is in process now to look into a new site for a bigger airport and it will have more than two runways to cater for the big influx of foreign tourists into Sabah.”

By constructing an additional building on the available land at the current terminal can further boost KKIA’s capacity to 21 million passengers a year.

However, Abdullah explained that KKIA only has a single runway which could only accommodate up to 13 million passengers a year.

read here: http://www.theborneopost.com/2017/01/18/kk-needs-bigger-airport-mavcom/

Wonder how it's worked out that BKI's runway is maxed out at 13 million annually :)

Maybe a lawat sambil belajar (travel while learning) expedition to London Gatwick would be in order ? :D

KK needs bigger airport – Mavcom

January 18, 2017, Wednesday Chok Sim Yee

Wonder how it's worked out that BKI's runway is maxed out at 13 million annually :)

Maybe a lawat sambil belajar (travel while learning) expedition to London Gatwick would be in order ? :D

Well... at least they seems to be planning for the long term.

But yes, there should be ways to maximize existing capacities. I really do hope they keep BKI at where it is. We certainly prefer an airport that is close to the city! I am sure tourists do too. The Tg Aru redevelopment plan to me has limited the airport's extension towards the sea, which to me is very annoying and lack of foresight for airport expansion.

On the contrary, I think the Tg Aru developers are very smart to hem in the airport so that they will be forced to move if they want to expand!

Well, we have some very smart civil servants... ;)

2 runway OP dont think WBKK requires it but it requires significant apron space for additional parking. Flocks of narrowbody aircrafts are occupying most of the gates during the peak periods.

On the contrary, I think the Tg Aru developers are very smart to hem in the airport so that they will be forced to move if they want to expand!

Well, we have some very smart civil servants... ;)

You seem to think like us Sabahans !

When they made public the Tanjung Aru Eco Development (TAED) I thought it spelt the end of whatever expansion plans they have had for BKI at present site. Any meaningful expansion beyond existing borders is obviously out of the question. But by Mavcom's own report, even current site can cater for up to 21 million annually, if things are eventually built where they should be built (blueprints are there already)

However, now this apparently newly concocted maximum runway capacity parameter (note it's denominated in number of pax, NOT flight movements) appear to have thrown all the planners' and consultants' projections when working on BKI's 'redevelopment' (a decade ago) out the window. So, further redevelopment must now be abandoned in favour of relocation (to wherever)

More crucially, what becomes of this immensely desirous bit of real estate that will then be left vacant ? Fact is much of the surrounding areas, previously gahmen land with gahmen servants' quarters built upon, had been boarded up for years already - who knows ?!

Would this move then free up developments in other areas, nowadays height restricted due to flight paths into and from BKI ? For sure I've seen proposal already for some pretty tallish structures (by KK standards anyway) in CBD, a certain no go currently if DCA regulations are observed. No doubt there are many others in pipeline

Just sharing some thoughts :)

You seem to think like us Sabahans !

When they made public the Tanjung Aru Eco Development (TAED) I thought it spelt the end of whatever expansion plans they have had for BKI at present site. Any meaningful expansion beyond existing borders is obviously out of the question. But by Mavcom's own report, even current site can cater for up to 21 million annually, if things are eventually built where they should be built (blueprints are there already)

However, now this apparently newly concocted maximum runway capacity parameter (note it's denominated in number of pax, NOT flight movements) appear to have thrown all the planners' and consultants' projections when working on BKI's 'redevelopment' (a decade ago) out the window. So, further redevelopment must now be abandoned in favour of relocation (to wherever)

More crucially, what becomes of this immensely desirous bit of real estate that will then be left vacant ? Fact is much of the surrounding areas, previously gahmen land with gahmen servants' quarters built upon, had been boarded up for years already - who knows ?!

Would this move then free up developments in other areas, nowadays height restricted due to flight paths into and from BKI ? For sure I've seen proposal already for some pretty tallish structures (by KK standards anyway) in CBD, a certain no go currently if DCA regulations are observed. No doubt there are many others in pipeline

Just sharing some thoughts :)

Haha look at the old TWU... sitting their rotting away and they still have no clue of what to do with it.

The residents of TWU found a new use for the runway though, which is drag racing....

Haha look at the old TWU... sitting their rotting away and they still have no clue of what to do with it.

The residents of TWU found a new use for the runway though, which is drag racing....

A bit OT: Lots of dragstrips in the world are originally runways that are no longer used. Tawau and Bintulu should have nice dragstrips by now; KL should follow soon with a dragstrip in Sungai Besi.

Jalan Utara in Tawau and Tanjung Aru in KK are of quite different real estate categories I would imagine :D

Plus I haven't come across any plans yet that see a multi billion coastal resort plonked right next door to old TWU :p

A bit OT: Lots of dragstrips in the world are originally runways that are no longer used. Tawau and Bintulu should have nice dragstrips by now; KL should follow soon with a dragstrip in Sungai Besi.

I thought the Sungai Besi is slated for condo and shopping mall development? Bandar Malaysia or something no?

Old Limbang Airport too....

It is almost certain new KK airport will be built, likely to announce or even sign before ge14. The more they spend, the better for them.

The land at current BKI airport is very valuable, like sg besi airport, will turn over to development or second harvest as some said in the trade.

Edited by KK Lee

Jalan Utara in Tawau and Tanjung Aru in KK are of quite different real estate categories I would imagine :D

Plus I haven't come across any plans yet that see a multi billion coastal resort plonked right next door to old TWU :p

Haha I knew you were going to say that. Very true!!

But I expect the government may build some institutional buildings there at least. To date, nothing what-so-ever was done to the site, except half-arsed demolition of the old facilities.

I think the Air Force / military use it too for their exercises.

Personally I don't think Kota Kinabalu is ready for a new airport with dual runways. They probably need a new terminal and facilities. But politicians with vested interest surely will think differently.

Edited by Radzi

I think the Air Force / military use it too for their exercises.

Personally I don't think Kota Kinabalu is ready for a new airport with dual runways. They probably need a new terminal and facilities. But politicians with vested interest surely will think differently.

Keyword "Vested interest".... which could translate to contracts and projects!!!

Sign in to follow this