MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

2017 Aircraft Deliveries to MAB Group, AirAsia Group & Malindo/Batik Malaysia

Hi folks,

Anyone know what's happened to Malindo's 9M-LCL? Flew 24-26 Jan BFI-HNL-PNI-KUL as MXD01 and then flew out to BTH late on the 26th as MXD5002 but no movements seen since on FR24. Usually they go into service fairly quickly so I'm a bit suspicious something is afoot with this one. Any info?

Also 9M-LCM is ready for delivery and should go any day now.

Next one is 9M-LCP ln 6282 and should be making first flight any day too.

:)

-LCK the one which carries the '178th Lion Group' B737-800 is still yet to enter service and this one arrived well before -LCL.

They are both taped up and seemingly in storage at Batamaerotechnic, use that # on IG and you'll find some images of them in the background of other shots at BTH.

Both -LND which entered service 8 days before -LNC are currently flying about without IFE installed so this might be a factor.

They are not getting seats fast enough.

Seats? Those aircrafts are delivered without seats?

Seats? Those aircrafts are delivered without seats?

Yes, that was what they have been doing. Fit the interior after they are delivered.

To my knowledge there is no A330 coming to OD in the near term. The JED flight will be operated using the B739, with a stopover in Ahmedabad.

http://www.bharian.com.my/node/245747

Yup. Just read the news report few days ago. The Jeddah flight will be with stopover. Was guessing they going to use A330 since it's indicated in wikipedia that A330 will be added to Malindo's fleet.

Was wondering though, why the airlines buying A330 when they plan to fly to any europe destination in the future. A330 surely cant do direct from kul to any european cities. Isn't it better to get Boeing 777? Just my 2 cents.

Yup. Just read the news report few days ago. The Jeddah flight will be with stopover. Was guessing they going to use A330 since it's indicated in wikipedia that A330 will be added to Malindo's fleet.

Was wondering though, why the airlines buying A330 when they plan to fly to any europe destination in the future. A330 surely cant do direct from kul to any european cities. Isn't it better to get Boeing 777? Just my 2 cents.

The fuel burn and weight of the b777(especially the 200 series) is not so economical for todays standard. Current A330-300 the CEO designated and upcoming NEO are more efficient to use provided seating capacity and cargo payload is adjusted accordingly in order to fly to Europe. If not mistaken flights to europe will only be a problem if airlines plan to fit them with more passengers hence payload restriction on fuel and performance to meet mtow criteria will result less range given.

Edited by jahur

I don't think Malindo's priority is to serve Europe. Other than London, other European destinations are not particularly viable. Where Malindo's A330s will fly to are the regional destinations in Asia Pacific and the Middle East.

Although they are starting Jeddah with a B739, I am sure it will be upgraded to the A330 in future.

Too bad Lion, the parent company of Malindo, cancellled the B787. Otherwise it would've been the perfect aircraft for their future long distance destinations.

Too bad Lion, the parent company of Malindo, cancelled the B787. Otherwise it would've been the perfect aircraft for their future long distance destinations.

Guess after chrunching the numbers, the cost of acquiring and maintaining three B787 with different maintenance log and specification is just too much for cost conscious budget airline like Lion Air. Edited by JuliusWong

Weren't those 787s destined for Lion Air the problematic first builds with plenty of inherent deficiencies ? Has Boeing managed to flog them off yet ?

Weren't those 787s destined for Lion Air the problematic first builds with plenty of inherent deficiencies ? Has Boeing managed to flog them off yet ?

Yes, they were from first batch of B787. Every single one of them has its own specific issue and need to dealt with individually. Last read Boeing managed to offload all of them except one which they write off the value.

Yes. They call it terrible teens. Those terrible teens currently flying with Ethiopian Airlines and Air Austral if I'm not mistaken

AirAsia Targets Fleet Growth With A320neos

AirAsia expects to receive 32 aircraft in 2017. This includes 11 A320neos and six A320ceos delivered from Airbus, and 15 aircraft from third-party lessors that will go to its affiliate carriers, an airline spokesman told Aviation Daily.
More:

The first of those new A320ceos is now in production - MSN 7583.

Edited by flee

So it seems OD is going to propagate and expand their fleet with B737-800? Any incoming B737-900ER? How many B737-900ERs do they have so far?

By the way, it seems they are rebranding this year to Batik Air Malaysia after a year of announcement

Malindo Air plans more rapid expansion in 2017 as it rebrands, and closes in on Malaysia Airlines

https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/malindo-air-plans-more-rapid-expansion-in-2017-as-it-rebrands-and-closes-in-on-malaysia-airlines-315448

Max 8 or Max 9?

I believe that Malindo Air has realised that the B739 was a mistake - that was why they stopped taking it after only 6 were delivered and all subsequent deliveries were B738s. Many airlines that currently operate the B738 have gone for the A321ceo when they needed a larger capacity aircraft. The same scenario is also starting to play out with the Max/Neo orders.

I believe that they will be taking the Max 8 as this will be the most suitable aircraft for their network.