MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
KK Lee

Not So Important News On Aviation

It's a certainty just awaiting the right moment to appear I suppose :)

How business class could feel like a budget flight, with fewer frills, charging for ‘extras’, but lower base fares

From: https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/travel-leisure/article/3026883/how-business-class-could-feel-budget-flight-fewer-frills

Frill-less premium travel - is this going to eat into D7/XJ pie ?! :)

I think Airasia has already got some products for business travellers, if they decide to do business travel on a budget.

See:

https://www.airasia.com/my/en/login/my-corporate.page

Only issue I have is that the Red Lounge is not worth single cent for what corporate travellers are paying for. Makes those roadside mamak looks like high class 5 stars restaurant....

Airlines have greater opportunity to travel long distances as advances in aviation lead to lighter aircraft that are more aerodynamic and fuel efficient. Other ultra-long-haulers include Singapore Airlines Ltd., which has resumed nonstop flights from its home base to New York, and Qatar Airways, which offers an 18-hour direct trip from Auckland to Doha.

There’s a market for premium, nonstop flights between Sydney and New York, Joyce said in an interview on Bloomberg TV. He said Qantas fills its daily services from Australia’s east coast to Los Angeles, which then go onto New York. The airline also charges a premium for its 17-hour direct connection between Perth and London, and those planes are 95% full, he said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-17/how-the-world-s-longest-flight-aims-to-beat-the-curse-of-jet-lag?srnd=premium-asia

The rattle of a flight attendant’s service cart sparks a nostalgic joy in me. No matter how many times I fly, I perk up when those trolleys come rumbling down the aisle, maiming any appendages brazenly stretched beyond arm rests. What, pray tell, will the flight attendant hand me this time? A Stroopwafel? A rectangle of lasagna?

Sometimes food on a plane sets the tone for your trip, like a baguette and wine on Air France or an ube pastry on Philippine Airlines. Sometimes food on a plane absolutely fails to do that, like the ambiguous goo an airline served to me as “pasta” on a flight to Chile.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2019/10/17/golden-age-airplane-food-is-over-future-snacks-sustainability/

Move to make Labuan flight transit hub

from: http://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news/144822/move-to-make-labuan-flight-transit-hub/

LABUAN: Labuan Corporation is in discussion with several airlines to use Labuan as a flight transit hub to Singapore and other destinations.

Dahlif said: “We are confident Labuan could become a transit hub for  airlines if they were offered incentives.”

He said the Labuan International Airport could handle such flights as it had both the capacity and facilities with its extended runway for A320 aircraft  and 747 cargo flights and there was no air traffic congestion......

Should Changi big wigs be alarmed by this ? There is after all absence of congestion and an 'extended runway' at LBU :)

Plus 'incentives' some more .....

Labuan could barely hold 3 commercial jets at one time due to its apron constraint. Especially whenever MYY or BKI weather is bad, a few diversions and thats the end of LBU accepting more traffic.

while Iran vs US grab the headline international news this morning, a sideline story develops. Our thoughts and prayers to the victims.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/07/middleeast/plane-crash-iran-intl-hnk/index.html

(CNN)All 176 people on board a Ukraine International Airlines flight were killed when it crashed shortly after takeoff from Imam Khomeini Airport in Tehran, the country's Press TV reported.

The Boeing 737 jet took off early Wednesday morning with 167 passengers and nine crew on board, Press TV reported, citing Ali Khashani, a senior public relations official at the airport.
Earlier reports from Iranian state media had said 180 people were on board.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said in a Facebook post that the country's embassy in Iran is "working to clarify information on the circumstances of the tragedy and the list of deceased passengers."
"My sincere condolences to the families and loved ones of all passengers and crew members," Zelensky said.
Emergency crews were dispatched to the crash site but could not assist because the area was ablaze, said Pirhossein Koulivand, the head of Iran's Emergency Medical Services. Koulivand told state-run media outlet IRINN that the crash site is between the cities of Parand and Shahriar.

Flight-tracking service FlightRadar 24 said in a tweet that the jet had been in service for about three and a half years.
Iran's semi-official news agency ISNA reported the crash was due to technical difficulties.
A Boeing spokesperson told CNN they are "aware of the media reports out of Iran and we are gathering more information."
First responders are seen after the crash.

First responders are seen after the crash.
The crash takes place just days before the company's new CEO David Calhoun will formally take the job. Calhoun replaces Dennis Muilenburg, who was ousted in December after Boeing's disastrous year.
The American aviation giant is still reeling from the aftermath of two 737 Max crashes, which killed 346 people. The Max has been grounded worldwide since March, and the company has struggled with delays and other issues in its bid to get the planes back in the air.
This is a developing story and will be updated.

Sign in to follow this