MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
S V Choong

Chinese Airlines Are Flooding the World With Super-Cheap Airfares

Killing four empty hours at Guangzhou airport waiting for a China Southern connection to Sydney may not be everyones idea of fun. For Gina Capella, it was a no-brainer.

The 43-year-old Boston resident and her friend saved hundreds of dollars last year choosing China Southern Airlines Co. over a direct flight from Seoul with Korean Air Lines Co. or Asiana Airlines Inc. We didnt mind the layover because it was so much cheaper, she said. Like, almost half the price.

Chinese airlines are flooding the world with some of the lowest long-haul fares ever seen -- and delivering a hammer blow to foreign carriers trying to keep up. From Delta Air Lines Inc. and American Airlines Group Inc. in the U.S., to Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd. and Korean Air, many operators are feeling the squeeze from the extended reach of mainland Chinese carriers.

They dont just offer cheap fares on routes long-dominated by national airlines like Korean Air. Theyre also adding hundreds of overseas flights from little-known Chinese cities to airports all over the world.

Chinese airlines are still hardly scratching the surface of their potential, not just in China, but globally, said Will Horton, a Hong Kong-based analyst at the CAPA Centre for Aviation. If an airline today cannot compete with or grow alongside a Chinese airline, the future will be bleak......

Read more:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-12/china-s-flood-of-cheap-air-fares-deals-blow-to-global-carriers

A sign of things to come. Hong Kong is losing its position as an entrepôt sooner.

Edited by S V Choong

I believe this is nothing compared to what is coming. We will soon have China made aircraft as well - this will be similar to what happened in the electronics industry.

First they assemble, then they manufacture for major manufacturers, then the clone and sell them as Chinese brands. Is it any wonder that Chinese government airlines are now in possession of all sorts of aircraft and have orders for more? Then are in the learning phase now - so don't be surprised if they become a major aircraft manufacturing nation in 20 or 30 years, just as they are now making electronics products.

Edited by flee

True, but what is new? The Chinese has been known to clone anything and everything (except human beings I think), and they are still very good at it. Way better than us if we look at our automotive industry.

I believe this is nothing compared to what is coming. We will soon have China made aircraft as well - this will be similar to what happened in the electronics industry.

First they assemble, then they manufacture for major manufacturers, then the clone and sell them as Chinese brands. Is it any wonder that Chinese government airlines are now in possession of all sorts of aircraft and have orders for more? Then are in the learning phase now - so don't be surprised if they become a major aircraft manufacturing nation in 20 or 30 years, just as they are now making electronics products.

Well before we know it, Chinese mobile phone brands such as Mi, Oppo and Huawei are now coming up with good stuff. You may not want it now but just wait till they become big. Their WeChat and payment system in China is now more advanced than many developed countries.

True, but what is new? The Chinese has been known to clone anything and everything (except human beings I think), and they are still very good at it. Way better than us if we look at our automotive industry.

The fact that Americans and the Europeans are not selling them technology and weaponry has created a good environment for their technology to grow. First they copy and learn and I hope they will progress from there. Japan did that as well in the 1950-60s. Literally stripped the US imported cars and learn from it to create their own.

There are now 10 Chinese airlines flying into AKL using A330 and 787 equipment.

Air China, China Eastern, China Southern, Xiamen, Hainan from the mainland?

Eva Air and China Airlines from Taiwan.

Cathay Pacific and Hong Kong Airlines from Hong Kong.

I believe the Chinese have already assembled some CKD McDonnell Douglas MD-92 and Airbus A320 in the past. They have also cloned Russian aircraft as well.

Air China, China Eastern, China Southern, Xiamen, Hainan from the mainland?

Eva Air and China Airlines from Taiwan.

Cathay Pacific and Hong Kong Airlines from Hong Kong.

Yup that's about right Choong.

The Chinese registration is B-. Mainland China is B-xxxx, just 4 digits. That can only support 10000 registration. I wonder if they will change that in the future. Taiwan is B-xxxxx, which is 5 digits

The Chinese registration is B-. Mainland China is B-xxxx, just 4 digits. That can only support 10000 registration. I wonder if they will change that in the future. Taiwan is B-xxxxx, which is 5 digits

Taiwan has always been B-16xxx... Hong Kong's rego is B-Hxx and B-Lxx. Macau's B-Mxx

Mainland China recycles some of their Registrations. So far, some were previously Taiwan's registration even rego of ill fated aircraft. (at the time when Taiwan was recognised as the "proper" China and when Communist China had XI-*** registration suffix).So far I have seen B-1xxx, B-2xxx, B-3xxx and B-5xxx registration. I noticed that their registration, as with HK and Macau's is first come first serve basis like vehicle registration.

I hope they will adopt Japan's format and change to B-123AA format.

Despite China Airlines carrying the "China" name, it was not an airline founded in mainland China. China Airlines was founded in 1959 at Taiwan, the Republic of China.

Edited by S V Choong

Taiwan has always been B-16xxx... Hong Kong's rego is B-Hxx and B-Lxx. Macau's B-Mxx

Mainland China recycles some of their Registrations. So far, some were previously Taiwan's registration even rego of ill fated aircraft. (at the time when Taiwan was recognised as the "proper" China and when Communist China had XI-*** registration suffix).So far I have seen B-1xxx, B-2xxx, B-3xxx and B-5xxx registration. I noticed that their registration, as with HK and Macau's is first come first serve basis like vehicle registration.

I hope they will adopt Japan's format and change to B-123AA format.

Despite China Airlines carrying the "China" name, it was not an airline founded in mainland China. China Airlines was founded in 1959 at Taiwan, the Republic of China.

The previous Taiwan President Chen Sui Bian wanted to change the name to Taiwan Airlines (with many other public services to rebrand as well), it was met with such a huge anger and opposition from mainland China that the latter positioned few of their missiles towards Taiwan. Not cool at all......

The previous Taiwan President Chen Sui Bian wanted to change the name to Taiwan Airlines (with many other public services to rebrand as well), it was met with such a huge anger and opposition from mainland China that the latter positioned few of their missiles towards Taiwan. Not cool at all......

They can't. For a country to go independent peacefully, they must be agreed upon by the country they are trying to separate from. Singapore's case was easily done and went separate ways peacefully simply because they were expelled by the Federation of Malaysia.

For Chen Shui Bian is about corruption and trying to put up a good show which lied to ones that voted him into the office. Thats the reason why he is now in jail.

O/T by the way...

Edited by S V Choong

Chinese airlines offer some competitive fares from Europe to Asia and also take a good care of transit passengers. I got free transit accommodation from both Air China and China Southern in the past for long hour transit at Guangzhou and Beijing airports. Air China also offer free transit lounge at PEK for those with a minimum transit time of 4 hours. You can enjoy free snack, shower and dayroom in the lounge. Unlike many airlines, such as, Qatar Airways, where passengers travelling on heavily-discounted tickets do not get free accommodation, this service is available to all of their transit passengers, regardless of the class of ticket.

One thing to note though - check if you need to apply for transit visa if you intend to transit via Chinese airports.

Some countries' passport holders can enjoy 72-hour visa-free transit; unfortunately we are not one of them...

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/transit.htm

https://www.visaforchina.org/SGP_EN/generalinformation/faq/261307.shtml

Edited by Y. J. Foo

One thing to note though - check if you need to apply for transit visa if you intend to transit via Chinese airports.

Some countries' passport holders can enjoy 72-hour visa-free transit; unfortunately we are not one of them...

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/transit.htm

https://www.visaforchina.org/SGP_EN/generalinformation/faq/261307.shtml

We're still eligible for the 24hr TWOV. You can even leave the airport during that time.

Sign in to follow this