MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Amirul Mazlan

KLIA's Jungle Centrepiece is Allegedly Destroyed

Had a jaw dropping and mouth o-ing moment minutes ago. Unable to contain my curiosity of the heavily pruned tree, I asked the info centre staff in KLIA the for reason..

Her reply " itu lah, banyak burung..."

I don't believe her !

During the days when there really was a jungle in the middle of the satellite building, I was quietly hoping those scene from Jurassic Park become true; a T-rex and a few velociraptors will not look out of place in that little spot.

Or otherwise, they could've just put a few phytons in there, with the occasional chickens and rats for the food supply. After all, phytons are native to the palm oil farms surrounding KLIA, feeding on the rats which in turn feeding on the fruits of the palm oil trees.

believed it got to do with maintenance of the jungle centerpriece and over time as usual the slack in maintenance is just one of the things that is a Malaysia boleh thing.

I think it is pruning

Guessing they have not done any timing since it was opened years ago? So they are doing it now to prevent overcrowding

You didn't ask her if they have plans to deal with the burung burung besi nearby as well ? :D

I hope they clear up the "Ladang" opposite Concorde Inn also. :clapping:

small request to the mods for sake of pedanticity, please delete the "r" from "Allergedly" in topic title - Thanks :)

Fun fact: Consultants pushed very hard during the development of KLIA that this center point be a key retail area.

Tun Mahathir refused, insisted that the airport needed an "identity".

The jungle area is such a prime real estate with very high visibility in the middle of Sat. I think for years the MAHB folks have been itching to monetize it. And it looks like it will finally becoming a reality.

It will probably become a retail space.... making this airport another big shopping mall which many airports around the world are doing.

Fun fact: Consultants pushed very hard during the development of KLIA that this center point be a key retail area.

Pushing for more retail outlets. I would prefer more public snooze chairs or cafe to sit and wait. Lucky the mid center forest got build instead but now it is pruned to botak, I'll take sometime to grow or they gonna build another retail outlet..

Malaysian and Singaporean seems to have different approach when it comes to trees. Singapore build towns around trees whilst us Malaysian plant trees (more fake trees lately) around towns and buildings.

And now they seems to be taking away the only jungle inside an airport terminal. For more shops.

I hope not

Had a jaw dropping and mouth o-ing moment minutes ago. Unable to contain my curiosity of the heavily pruned tree, I asked the info centre staff in KLIA the for reason..

I don't believe her !

lots of birds = bird strike

the jungle is attracting many birds to make nests, so for the sake of passenger safety, we need to remove the forest to prevent nesting of birds.

In the interests of improving the airport experience, we will be converting the rain-forest into an open air pasar malam and hawker center. Tourists arriving can get a first taste of Malaysian outdoor culture.

:acute: :acute:

It figures.

Tun M wanted it. Of course, these days anything Tun M wants, you can't have it.

It figures.

Tun M wanted it. Of course, these days anything Tun M wants, you can't have it.

:clapping: Good one!

So will this rainforest be replaced by retail outlets selling high fashion branded handbags? :rofl:

lots of birds = bird strike

the jungle is attracting many birds to make nests, so for the sake of passenger safety, we need to remove the forest to prevent nesting of birds.

In the interests of improving the airport experience, we will be converting the rain-forest into an open air pasar malam and hawker center. Tourists arriving can get a first taste of Malaysian outdoor culture.

:acute: :acute:

Perhaps putting a net (ala KL Bird's park) can solve the issue?

I have received a reply from KLIA on the topic:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for reaching us at Customer Affairs & Resolution Excellence (CARE), Malaysia Airports.

Please be informed that the Jungle Boardwalk at KLIA is currently undergoing maintenance whereby pruning, removing old branches and birds' nests especially that of crows, as well as lowering the chute are being performed.

By doing all these, we will be able to clean up the birds droppings on the glass walls and boardwalk platform. The use of the gondola to reach the glass walls that were previously blocked by branches and leaves is now possible.

Our landscape team will be nurturing the forest to naturally grow back over time, and tending to the shrubs to make the forest vibrant again.

Thank you.

Sign in to follow this