MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Robert

Malindo Fares

I know airlines have complex and dynamic pricing structures however Im finding that Malindo is now very random.

After massive increases in their KL-SIN business flexi fares last September they suddenly dropped the price by ~50%. Great I snapped up a few months worth of trips and left some empty spaces so that I can move some around if needed.
Im now finding that the fares have almost doubled at certain times but the cabin is almost empty. For example last Sunday I needed to book a ticket at short notice and the business flexi fare was around RM900 one way compared to RM396 for the usual cheaper price (non promo).
I decided to take Y class and risk the immigration queues (thankfully they were ok) and saw that there were only 2 people in the front cabin.
This is a pain because I cant use the flexi tickets I have unless I make up the fare difference which is double the cost of the original fare. I could understand it if the flights are full but 2 people in the front cabin is rather light and this rather defeats the purpose of flexi tickets.
Perhaps they are just testing the market but Im sure.
Any thoughts?

Malindo fares have went haywired since they moved to KLIA1. Their super opaque Passenger Surcharge fee can be easily double the base fare prices. Add on the compulsory airport tax, security fee and GST, their total fare is almost double if not triple of MAS. Only God knows how their revenue management system works.

Sigh... Same issue as before. In the last few weeks OD increased their D fares to SG by around 35%. Thats a massive increase and I wonder is that are trying to follow MAB who also have increased their fares.

You can expect fares are not only driven by demand but also by competitors fare levels.

Revenue management of every airline keeps a close eye on what competitors are doing (e.g. raising/lowering fares not just related to load factor)

You can expect fares are not only driven by demand but also by competitors fare levels.

Revenue management of every airline keeps a close eye on what competitors are doing (e.g. raising/lowering fares not just related to load factor)

Fully understand that but such a big jump doesn't seem right.

And I heard some OD flights to ASEAN main cities like Bangkok, Jakarta the passengers will have to use stairs instead of aerobridge to board the aircraft at KLIA MTB remote bay.

And I heard some OD flights to ASEAN main cities like Bangkok, Jakarta the passengers will have to use stairs instead of aerobridge to board the aircraft at KLIA MTB remote bay.

no available gate at mtb

not sure if its a bug, but MH fares also inconsistent..

eg: if select one way, KUL-KBR is RM9x++

but if select round trip, KUL-KBR is RM2xx++, while the return trip is another RM2xx (total RM5xx)

but if select round trip, KUL-KBR is RM2xx++, while the return trip is another RM2xx (total RM5xx)

Not a bug. I didn't research into this, but it's common for airlines to have different fares for one way and roundtrip. Sometimes the roundtrip can be more or less than two one ways (more when minimum stay is not met - this is mainly targeted to business travelers).

One way are usually priced higher than return IIRC

One way are usually priced higher than return IIRC

Yes indeed. One way fare is, in most, cases higher because the passenger in "highly unlikely" to return as their airline's customer vs if a passenger who bought return ticket. Hence the higher price. The trick is to buy return ticket and let the returning leg burn. A lot of people do this to secure cheaper fare.

Thats same day return?

So just buy two one ways then in different directions.

Yes indeed. One way fare is, in most, cases higher because the passenger in "highly unlikely" to return as their airline's customer vs if a passenger who bought return ticket. Hence the higher price. The trick is to buy return ticket and let the returning leg burn. A lot of people do this to secure cheaper fare.

Only true if oneway auto prices you to full flexi.

Not applicable for MH in many instances.

Just bought Business Class tickets on Malindo. Surprisingly business class was 10% cheaper than economy on the same flight...go figure :)

Its the Malindo flash sale offer prices that you managed to snag.

Its the Malindo flash sale offer prices that you managed to snag.

damn I was away and missed that.

The business cheaper than economy scenario happens on a regular basis when the Y fares goto the highest booking class due to low availability and D or business promo is available. Ive seen this happen on other forms of travel as well.

damn I was away and missed that.

The business cheaper than economy scenario happens on a regular basis when the Y fares goto the highest booking class due to low availability and D or business promo is available. Ive seen this happen on other forms of travel as well.

Around this coming Raya...1 way to KCH from KUL is 899 in Y...while C is only 499...crazy right?

Around this coming Raya...1 way to KCH from KUL is 899 in Y...while C is only 499...crazy right?

Just go for C, no need think; sometimes MH Business Promo is cheaper than the Flex also when only Flex is available (though it's rare).