MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Shahid

Singapore Airlines direct flights to Tel Aviv?

My dad went last year on a pilgrimage. Wasn't terribly hard to apply for, according to him.

I've seen Israel from across the Dead Sea. My Jordanian tour guide asked if i wanted to make an impromptu visit into Jerusalem - without a visa. I explained about being Malaysian and all. His deadpan response - "so? you wouldn't be the first" Being a bit chicken i said no. In hindsight, I should have. (Didn't ask how he planned to achieve it though)

I did enter Paraguay once with a visa fee of 12 empanadas (call it a samosa or curry puff). Maybe that was the modus operandi for my Jordanian guide. :)

My brother once worked for a Jewish company and they wanted to send him over to Tel Aviv. As he only has Malaysian passport, he had to apply for permission to enter. They wanted to check his family background for up to three generations, despite there is no Malay or muslim in the bloodline they insisted. Our grandparents' document are harder to get as they were not properly documented, so at the end he gave up.

I don't understand what the fuss is about. I think Malaysian government did this just to please the muslim crowd, but they are known to have dealings with Israeli companies anyway. If it is done to protest about the Israeli's action, they might as well boycott the US altogether, as Jewish presence and business are strong there too.

My brother once worked for a Jewish company and they wanted to send him over to Tel Aviv. As he only has Malaysian passport, he had to apply for permission to enter. They wanted to check his family background for up to three generations, despite there is no Malay or muslim in the bloodline they insisted. Our grandparents' document are harder to get as they were not properly documented, so at the end he gave up.

I don't understand what the fuss is about. I think Malaysian government did this just to please the muslim crowd, but they are known to have dealings with Israeli companies anyway. If it is done to protest about the Israeli's action, they might as well boycott the US altogether, as Jewish presence and business are strong there too.

Malaysia's stance on Israel mirrors the GCC countries and some others as part of the OIC...nothing wrong with that as that's the policy that had been taken since a while back...

to suggest that Malaysia boycott the US altogether just doesn't make sense but rather detrimental to the economy and everybody knows that....

furthermore different countries have different ways to protest action by other countries depending on what suits them...

ie: the EU now requires labels for all Israeli products produced from occupied territories in consideration on the poor human rights record in the occupied territories...considering that they actually supplied lots of goods and fresh produce to the EU, it did create an uproar recently

Malaysia's stance on Israel mirrors the GCC countries and some others as part of the OIC...nothing wrong with that as that's the policy that had been taken since a while back...

to suggest that Malaysia boycott the US altogether just doesn't make sense but rather detrimental to the economy and everybody knows that....

furthermore different countries have different ways to protest action by other countries depending on what suits them...

ie: the EU now requires labels for all Israeli products produced from occupied territories in consideration on the poor human rights record in the occupied territories...considering that they actually supplied lots of goods and fresh produce to the EU, it did create an uproar recently

GCC countries G to G relationship with Israel is in order of magnitude closer than perception.

Agreed. Two faced.

That said, I highly doubt Malaysia is the same, even if there is some business done between the two.

Anyway, we are all veering way off topic.

On subject, wouldn't be surprised if this route is announced when Netanyahu visits within the next few months.

Edited by jani

Would really be interesting to know what kind of customer SQ targeting. From Israel to Australia/New Zealand?

It's not to please the Muslim crowd. Malaysia supports a two state solution to the Israeli occupation - I'm sure I've read somewhere that they would start diplomatic relations with Israel if a two state plan materialises with a free and independent Palestine. I'm not holding my breath though... so it's gonna be status quo for a while yet

Would really be interesting to know what kind of customer SQ targeting. From Israel to Australia/New Zealand?

i would guess Australia/New Zealand would be the most logical choice considering the lack of 1 stop connection to those countries...

aside from that, the direct connection might be due to the need to facilitate businesses between those 2 countries and some other Asian countries...lot's of tech firms operate from Israel lately and Singapore plus some other Asian countries are high tech manufacturing hubs

It's not to please the Muslim crowd. Malaysia supports a two state solution to the Israeli occupation - I'm sure I've read somewhere that they would start diplomatic relations with Israel if a two state plan materialises with a free and independent Palestine. I'm not holding my breath though... so it's gonna be status quo for a while yet

indeed, this is the official standing of the OIC (and many of its members)...aside from that human rights record in occupied territories is appalling by any possible metric..so you don't need to be a Muslim to be opposed to this....even in Europe/US people actually do take this into account...just look at the previous example that i mentioned (EU labelling) and the past Caterpillar controversy

Thanks for the info. guys. O/T, I wonder if lets say an Israeli is allowed into Malaysia at all? Secondly if a person of Jewish ethnicity (not necessarily an Israeli citizen). Would he or she be frown upon if lets say if he/she is trying to set up a business in Malaysia?

Jews are of course allowed in this country. I'm sure setting up a business won't be a problem. There was a big Jewish community in Penang and there was a synagogue and a Jewish cemetery. The Sarkies brothers were Armenian Jews who founded the E&O hotel in Penang and Raffles in Singapore. Most of the Jews eventually moved down to Australia ...

as far as I know, Israeli citizens are not allowed into Malaysia

Sign in to follow this