MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

AirAsia X facing multiple safety investigations in Australia

AIRASIA X is facing its sixth investigation by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau in 18-months, after another incident in southeast Queensland.

Last Saturday, October 8, an AirAsia X A330 was diverted from the Gold Coast to Brisbane when its wing flaps failed to fully deploy.

As wing flaps work to slow down an aircraft on landing, it was feared the aircraft would overshoot the runway at Coolangatta and plough into traffic.

Instead flight D7-200 was diverted to Brisbane where fire trucks were placed on standby and other aircraft cleared from the runway ahead of the landing.

AirAsia X confirmed the diversion “due to a minor technical issue”.

6 in 18 months works out to 1 every three months. It's not really that bad. The ATSB investigates any technical/safety issue involving both Australian registered aircraft as well as incidents occurring in Australian airspace & I count 4 investigations this year alone for QF.

This is nothing more than a hatchet job article trying to besmirch D7.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

I think the flap issue is quite routine. Aircraft sometimes have mechanical or electronic glitches. But those involving pilot and navigation deficiencies are more serious.

I think the flap issue is quite routine. Aircraft sometimes have mechanical or electronic glitches. But those involving pilot and navigation deficiencies are more serious.

But it's not just a D7 issue, given that even Aussie airlines have faced the fat finger issue before - https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2016/aair/ao-2016-065/

I onced withnessed ATC fork up in Perth by clearing one aircraft to enter runway yet a D7 aircraft on final have to went around when the said aircraft didnt commence its take off roll. You didnt see them making a big fuss out of it when they are the one who messed up but very quick to put spotlights on foreign carrier, Asian especially, when things happened.

I think the Australia media has not been kind to Malaysia-based airlines since MH370 and MH17. In addition, when PT AirAsia Indonesia Extra launched ticket sales for DPS- Melbourne and DPS- Sydney routes without prior CASA approval, the latter have reprimanded PT AirAsia Indonesia Extra severely .

To add salt onto the wound, both routes were dropped less than year, AirAsia offers to re-route through KUL or reimbursement. Both options were handled badly. You can be sure PT AirAsia Indonesia Extra get all the bad publicity due to these reasons. They asked for it themselves.

You can be sure PT AirAsia Indonesia Extra get all the bad publicity due to these reasons. They asked for it themselves.

Part of the blame has to go to the Indonesian govt. Their aircraft ownership rules are almost as bad as the Indian ones. Really puts a damper on airline operations and makes it difficult for a startup airline to quickly gain traction.

Fortunately for PT Airasia Indonesia Extra, parent investor company Airasia Berhad has wet leased its two A330s while they re-think what they should do with the airline. However, I will not be surprised if it was closed down.

I think the Australia media has not been kind to Malaysia-based airlines since MH370 and MH17. In addition, when PT AirAsia Indonesia Extra launched ticket sales for DPS- Melbourne and DPS- Sydney routes without prior CASA approval, the latter have reprimanded PT AirAsia Indonesia Extra severely .

Its a good thing that the Aussie media has no influence over CASA. We can trust CASA to act professionally.

Edited by flee

To add salt onto the wound, both routes were dropped less than year, AirAsia offers to re-route through KUL or reimbursement. Both options were handled badly. You can be sure PT AirAsia Indonesia Extra get all the bad publicity due to these reasons. They asked for it themselves.

I don't think it's all Australian media - just the ones owned by a K.R. Murdoch.

Well, people not in the industry will find the news disturbing if they have not already boycotted Malaysian airlines.

Perception that the government is dragging their legs on the investigation of MH370 and MH17 is a deciding factor for them.

Sign in to follow this