MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
RobK

Heads up Brunei Friday afternoon. Sultan's new B748 arriving

Not 100% confirmed but looking likely from track log. Sultan's new B748 V8-BKH departed Orlando around noon Thursday local time heading due north up through Canada. I expect it is enroute BWN. Keep an eye peeled on FR24 for an unIdentifed hex 8953DF tracking down over the Philippines.

:)

Hmm, seems I was premature with my info, please disregard ! Appears not to be the delivery flight after all. It's re-appeared over Alberta Canada heading south so must be a test flight of some sort.

8140685273_d28b62418a_b.jpg

Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental N455BJ (Private) by moonm, on Flickr

L/N 1459 - 747-8LQ , RC006, serial number 41060, BBJ customer : Brunei Sultan’s Flight,

Test registration N455BJ

First Flight: October 18-2012

Owner : Wells Fargo Bank Northwest NA Trustee Salt Lake City Utah

Delivery and Delivery flight (N455BJ-CYVR-KAFW-KCNW) date: November 02-2012. Cabin outfitting by L3 Platform Integration at Waco,TX. F/F after cabin outfitting May 12 2015.

Last recorded test flight : December 05 2015. The aircraft modification is delayed by up to 10 months following identification of quality problems.

Expected delivery end of 2016.

Expected new registration: V8-BKH

Not sure if the new toy will eventually replace the B747-430 V8-ALI. The A340-212 is now V8-001 previously V8-BKH. The Sultan was rumoured to be considering A380 but settled with B748i as Brunei International Airport cannot be expanded and strengthened to hold A380.

Side note, not sure how well the new purchase will go down with public when every sectors is facing budget cuts and Brunei economy is in the dumpster currently.

Edited by JuliusWong

Though the purchase was done a few yrs ago, it is unfortunate that the delivery will take place when the local economy is not doing that great and energy prices remain low. Not great PR and there will be whispers going around.

Ahh good news for spotters if the Sultan has the gist he'd be doing regular touch and go's in BKI,SDK,TWU and MYY.

Financing la.. Even the Sultan knows better than to self-finance close to half-a-billion purchase... He's obviously good for the payments.. Hopefully Wells Fargo survives their recent public trial

No I think it was always destined for the Sultan. 4 years outfitting for big stuff like the 747s is pretty common. Oman's 747 is only a couple of months younger and that is still being outfitted at Waco.

Seems that his Majesty is a fan boy of Boeing aircraft. :)

Not only he collects exotic cars but he sure has a good taste in collecting planes :)

(Sorry Airbus fan boys)

The B787-8 Dreamliner will eventually replace the B767-27G/ER V8-MHB. It was earlier meant for commercial use by Royal Brunei but Sultan took over the order instead. Four B787 is good enough for RB daily LHR-DXB-BWN-MEL and BWN-DPS, and BWN-JED.

Great catch their RobK, the livery is the same as the current B744. Not mind blowing, but too dated.

As for the ownership/ financing, not sure if Sultan will pay cash. Previously he did so for B744, paid cash on the spot to LH and entered the hangar straight away for refurbishment. Aircraft was delivered brand new to LH. LH sold another B744 to Oman Royal Family after delivery, Boeing later had a "lecture session" with LH, further sales were prohibited then onward.

Royal hanger was wide open prior to HM's departure for KL this morning. Apparently his new 748 is already in it. Full garage prior to his departure with 4 planes in total.

3129c25c23.jpg

No picture of the new B747-8i yet, but the Sultan and his entourage took B747-430 V8-ALI for his official visit to KL.

It seems the B747-8i has indeed been delivered. It was de-registered from FAA Registry on 27th Sept 2016 and exported on the same day. http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=455BJ

Perhaps they are still busy preparing its interior with magazines, cutlery and etc. I will need to check with my friend if he can sneak a pic

Edited by JuliusWong

Any photos? Thanks!!

No, unfortunately the doors were closed immediately as HM left the hangar.

3129c25c23.jpg

No picture of the new B747-8i yet, but the Sultan and his entourage took B747-430 V8-ALI for his official visit to KL.

It seems the B747-8i has indeed been delivered. It was de-registered from FAA Registry on 27th Sept 2016 and exported on the same day. http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=455BJ

Perhaps they are still busy preparing its interior with magazines, cutlery and etc. I will need to check with my friend if he can sneak a pic

Yes, He used his 744 for this trip. 748 was parked right next to it. 762 had to be parked outside prior to the departure due to hangar space only accomodating 3 planes.

Yes, He used his 744 for this trip. 748 was parked right next to it. 762 had to be parked outside prior to the departure due to hangar space only accomodating 3 planes.

And the 3rd plane in hangar was ?

No, unfortunately the doors were closed immediately as HM left the hangar.

HM is likely to unveil his new ride on a celebrated occasion.

His new 748 is back at Waco, TX, and still there as I write. Flew back there on 30 September from Orlando.

I did ask some time ago for it to be added to FR24 database but that site has really gone downhill over the past 6 months and they have some clown with an attitude problem maintaining the database who only adds the ones that personally interest him so it has been ignored.

Edited by RobK

Sign in to follow this