MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
JuliusWong

1990: Malaysia Airlines International Routes

Kuala Lumpur - Auckland should be:

Kuala Lumpur - Brisbane - Auckland on a DC10. The DC-10-30 may not have enough range to cover a 11 hours flight direct to AKL.

How do I know? I was a frequent traveler of this route on MH's DC-10 back then

No problem operating KUL-AKL vv non-stop as I used to fly this route. After awhile it was changed to KUL-BNE-AKL vv.

The best era to be a crew, if you like to travel.

The frequencies are low, so the nightstops are longer. The airline was relatively small, so you know most of the crew. National prestige takes precedence over profit and loss, and being a crew was surely a glamorous job back then.

Radzi, not only we knew the crew and we were very close. On certain routes we would be together for a week e.g. KUL-AKL vv or 20 days when we used to operate KUL-NRT-LAX-HNL-NRT-KUL.

No problem operating KUL-AKL vv non-stop as I used to fly this route. After awhile it was changed to KUL-BNE-AKL vv.

Radzi, not only we knew the crew and we were very close. On certain routes we would be together for a week e.g. KUL-AKL vv or 20 days when we used to operate KUL-NRT-LAX-HNL-NRT-KUL.

So HNL was a stop on the way back. Was that a technical stop or MH wanted to pick up extra (Japanese) pax.

Was it due to load that KUL-AKL was stopped and became KUL-BNE-AKL? I took SQ on my first ever trip from Malaysia to New Zealand. SQ was using 747-212B and 747-312 back then.

So HNL was a stop on the way back. Was that a technical stop or MH wanted to pick up extra (Japanese) pax.

Was it due to load that KUL-AKL was stopped and became KUL-BNE-AKL? I took SQ on my first ever trip from Malaysia to New Zealand. SQ was using 747-212B and 747-312 back then.

1. HNL was a tech-stop

2. MH had a traffic right to carry pax from BNE-AKL vv then

1. HNL was a tech-stop

2. MH had a traffic right to carry pax from BNE-AKL vv then

Ah, yes, I did meet a few New Zealanders on the plane heading over to BNE. Back then the international terminal was over at the current cargo apron. Literally a huge tin shed where pax will have to disembark via stairs.

I remember when HNL wasn't a tech stop... That was in the early 90s

Must be a good era to be a pilot during those years.

Absolutely SV Choong, that was my dream so many years ago. Imagine, once or twice weekly flights to some exotic destination like Honolulu or Zagreb, nice hotels, etc etc. Now with Emirates' multiple daily flights to many second tier cities, I'm not surprised if you fly in a 77W in the morning and are expected to fly out on the evening one! (Tongue firmly in cheek, but I'm sure I'm not too far off!)

Absolutely SV Choong, that was my dream so many years ago. Imagine, once or twice weekly flights to some exotic destination like Honolulu or Zagreb, nice hotels, etc etc.

Your 'dreams' must have oscillated much between extremes of idling away days in exotic locations and manhandling some soul's central pump organ :D

Hahah, BC, manhandling someone's heart and lungs is more fun for me!

Edited by Izanee

In the 1990's, MH international destinations were added in the name of South-South cooperation, national interest or alleged horse riding hobby/farm of someone.

During the period, LH, KL, AF, BA, UL, AA, etc were deregulated, evolving to daily non-stop, hub and spokes model with smaller capacity aircraft e.g 767, 757, 737.