MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Robert

Malindo Delays

Owing to the immigration queue issues at KLIA 1 Ive been taking Malindo for the past month+ because their business promo flights rant that expensive and I can get to use the business class lane. Ive noticed that they are becoming increasing unreliable with almost every flight I take being delayed. Some times I’m not informed and other times I get the dreaded retimed message.

Was advised last night that tonights flight (OD806) has been retimed from 21:30-22:50. From what I can see their are a lot of last minute rotations and from time to time the aircraft appear to just leave late (tech, crew?).
Does anybody have any inside info as to what is going on? do they have an aircraft shortage, crew or many tech issues?

It's not only delays but flights cancellation too. Out of 6 flights that I took in recent weeks, 4 were cancelled where I was put on a later or earlier flight (perhaps due to low loads) and 1 delayed, and 1 on time.

This makes it rather difficult to plan for travel, especially if it is a day trip where time is of essence.

OD152 - the flight supposes to depart at 3 pm. Retimed to 3.40. In reality, the flight departs at 5 pm (based on 2 weeks observation @ flightradar24). 2 hours delay means OD has to give meal vouchers to pax, and I believe that the retiming is related to this. Why can't they just tell passengers that the flight actually departs at 5 pm? I managed to speak to OD cabin crew, according to their roster, the flight indeed departs at 5 pm. Perhaps someone has to raise this issue to Tribunal Pengguna or maybe MAVCOM?

I was on OD152 before on hari raya . They never announce retime but delayed on FIDS to 4pm.

Boarding starts 4.20pm. Pushed back at 5pm.

Meal voucher ? You wished.

I was booked on OD152 on the 25/8 which was due to depart PER at 1520, this a few weeks before was pushed back to 1720 meaning we missed our connection that night to PEN. OD to their credit put us up in a hotel (a dodgy one at that) called the Aston not too far from KLIA and provided transfers. They moved us to the 0800 flight ex KL-PEN.

Flying home to PER on the 31/8 OD152 was pushed back from 0825 to a 1025 departure ex KL, I personally think that a 1 hour connection after arriving in KL from PEN at 0725 might of been a tad ambitions on OD's behalf especially in the event of any delays etc.

I was impressed with OD overall although they seem to have quite high fleet utilisation.

Just looking at FR24 and the scheduled departure time seemed to be 17:20 however from 4/9 it changed to 15:40 and then 15:00.

As for my flight last Sunday it left on time, no holding or long way round to Changi and arrived a few minutes early for the most time in months.

I've got a loved one on OD185 to CMB this friday - and it seems the frame being utilised is in a captive rotation, with it running OD151/152/185/186 daily.... The timing is all over the place the last few days... sheesh....

I've got a loved one on OD185 to CMB this friday - and it seems the frame being utilised is in a captive rotation, with it running OD151/152/185/186 daily.... The timing is all over the place the last few days... sheesh....

As of today, the flight departs early to do KUL PER KUL rotation. Hopefully your flight won't be delayed lah......

As of today, the flight departs early to do KUL PER KUL rotation. Hopefully your flight won't be delayed lah......

fingers crossed! I'm going on the MH179 - it's my family member that's on OD185. We both then connect to DOH on QR but that's at 0325 the next morning, so still a small buffer to make the connex.

The issue with PER flights of late (the past several months on and off) has been recent runway closures (Rwy 03/21) during lengthy periods. To avoid any payload limitations (to use the shorter Rwy 24/06), the flight was "rescheduled" a couple of hours later so the departure ex PER was timed to not be affected.

Edited by Peter Smith

The last few times I look OD806 it was delayed. One time it was just late and the other it was retimed by 80 mins. On both instances we found that upon arrival at KLIA the gate docking system was switched off so we had to wait for several minutes for the staff to wake up.

I think the issue was OD wasnt being upfront with its customers on the retimings, to the extent that it knows ahead of time of the runway closure.

They were very upfront.

Had family travelling on these flights back in April - flights were retimed and email/sms notification was sent early plus a reminder one week before departure dates.

OD806 was about 50 mins late on Friday and wasn't retimed. The staff at SIN told me that they knew it was late but KL hadn't told them that it retimed. Struggling with the logic here!

On another point Im disappointed to see that their business class fare has significantly increased by a massive 25% in the last few days :( :(

After a few days of fairly good running ... They send me an email at 7.39pm for a 10.25pm flight to tell me it's been retimed to 11.45pm ..... Sigh

Was on OD2106 last night, they've sent me notification regarding flight retiming 3 days before. So flight retiming is normal for OD these days I guess

OD806 was about 50 mins late on Friday and wasn't retimed. The staff at SIN told me that they knew it was late but KL hadn't told them that it retimed. Struggling with the logic here!

On another point Im disappointed to see that their business class fare has significantly increased by a massive 25% in the last few days :( :(

Not only in J class, their Y class is now more expensive than MH. Malindo used to be more value for money alternative to AK, and more affordable (usually) than MH, but they are now pricing themselves out of market in most travel period. :(

I guess the delays are not getting lesser anytime soon - I see OD1004 making approach into BKI now with OD1008 (both from KUL) holding in circles above Papar area

Imagine the knock on effects for flights later in the day

My friend just back from KUL on OD1650 this morning, he sent us a picture showing the crews ready at the gates around 9am (dont know what time they were at there, pictures received few minutes before 9) for a scheduled 0915 departure. In the end, the flight only took off an hour later, 1017 based on F24.

The strange thing is does the delay purposely done or really they need more time to fix some problems (be it technical or non technical)?

(I can see that the aircraft rotation for some OD B737 is still quite loose, for instance 9M-LNZ only run KUL-MYY-KUL-SIN-KUL for today's daytime before heading Mumbai tonight.)

I am still finding a chance to log my own first ever OD flight, but with such frequent delays and higher prices than before; maybe this "project" will still be temporarily categorised as KIV.

Was on OD807 earlier - inbound was late then the wheel needed changing. Had a different approach into SIN from the usual way, suspect that the runways changed at the last minute

Not only in J class, their Y class is now more expensive than MH. Malindo used to be more value for money alternative to AK, and more affordable (usually) than MH, but they are now pricing themselves out of market in most travel period. :(

Pricing themselves out of the market? Don't think that's how pricing works....

Pricing themselves out of the market? Don't think that's how pricing works....

What I mean is their pricing is way too high compared to their competitors which offers almost similar service level.

Was on OD2106 last night, they've sent me notification regarding flight retiming 3 days before. So flight retiming is normal for OD these days I guess

3 days ok la. My loved ones email was sent 2 1/2 hours before. In the end - my own MH179 ended up also 90 mins delayed so lucky had enough of a connection time in CMB

What I mean is their pricing is way too high compared to their competitors which offers almost similar service level.

My point though, is that they are pricing themselves high is because they can afford to = meaning their supply meets demand.

Anyway, from purely anecdotal personal experience, their fares are just where they are supposed to be: higher than AK, lower than MH.

3 days ok la. My loved ones email was sent 2 1/2 hours before. In the end - my own MH179 ended up also 90 mins delayed so lucky had enough of a connection time in CMB

Ya...3 days ok to prepare. 2 1/2 hours, meaning you're already at the airport. Not a good way to start your journey methinks

Sign in to follow this