MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
S V Choong

Chinese pilots smoke cigarettes while flying

it depends on the captain. when i used to work at an airport in london, it is commonly known that pilots smoke in the cockpit while the aircraft is on the tarmac but not while it is in the air.

my friend said that sometimes he has to go landside to smoke and sometimes he could just smoke in the cockpit. when the captain lights up his ciggie in the cockpit, that's the green light i guess ^^

Wow guys, really!?

So there is this video on the net that this arrogant Yankee who want to confront the pilots smoking and got the crew around to check it. Of course the crew would not dare to challenge the pilot (not culturally Chinese anyway).

So what happens if say in mid air, pax file a complaint. Does the captain have to listen to the pax or can he do whatever he likes? Is there a company policy amongst airlines against pilot smoking in the cockpit? What would be the consequences if they are caught or a complaint is filed against them by a pax?

https://youtu.be/ScdidQIkry0

Have done a lot of MH flights when I could detect the smell of somebody smoking. Have always wondered if I'm mistaken

Airline banned smoking to reduce cleaning, filters replacement cost. As long as safety is not compromise, there is no big deal for pilot to smoke in the cockpit.

Edited by KK Lee

Airline banned smoking to reduce cleaning, filters replacement cost. As long as safety is not compromise, there is no big deal for pilot to smoke in the cockpit.

It's not about "safety is not compromise" but about rules and regulations and the integrity of the pilots.

It's not about "safety is not compromise" but about rules and regulations and the integrity of the pilots.

How smoking compromise pilot's integrity?

Non smoking applied to pax doesn't mean in cockpit.

How smoking compromise pilot's integrity?

Non smoking applied to pax doesn't mean in cockpit.

If they can't obey simple laws do you think they can easily obey more stringent laws?

It's like in Malaysia - some people don't obey simple traffic rule then when caught these same people have no qualms about giving a little "inducement" to escape paying the summons. And then scream and shout about other people being corrupt.

If they can't obey simple laws do you think they can easily obey more stringent laws?

It's like in Malaysia - some people don't obey simple traffic rule then when caught these same people have no qualms about giving a little "inducement" to escape paying the summons. And then scream and shout about other people being corrupt.

LOS ANGELES, March 9— Smoke-free air in the cabin of an airliner may be better for the health of passengers, but Federal officials have determined that it is safer to let the pilots keep smoking.
In an effort to avoid withdrawal symptoms that could affect the performance of cigarette-smoking pilots, a Federal ban on cigarettes that took effect on all airlines last month made an exception for flight crews.
All but unnoticed in the publicity over the new law was wording applying the ban to the passenger cabin and toilets, but not to the flight deck.
The exception, reported Friday in The Washington Post, was based on a 1978 study by the National Institutes of Health finding that possible withdrawal symptoms would pose a potential risk to the pilots' performance, said Dr. Andrew Horne, an official of the Federal Aviation Administration's Office of Aviation medicine.
''The effects of withdrawal in a habitual smoker are associated with decrements in vigilance, in concentration, and with increased irritability, anxiety and aggression,'' Dr. Horne quoted the report as saying.
EU-OPS 1.335 Smoking on board The pilot-in-command shall not allow smoking on board: (a) whenever considered necessary in the interest of safety; during refuelling of the aircraft; © while the aircraft is on the surface unless the operator has determined procedures to mitigate the risks during ground operations; (d) outside designated smoking areas, in the aisle(s) and lavatory(ies); (e) in cargo compartments and/or other areas where cargo is carried that is not stored in flame-resistant containers or covered by flame-resistant canvas; and (f) in those areas of the passenger compartments where oxygen is being supplied.
It seems EASA doesn't prohibit pilot to smoke in cockpit. Is CAAC prohibit smoking in cockpit?
Edited by KK Lee

Have done a lot of MH flights when I could detect the smell of somebody smoking. Have always wondered if I'm mistaken

Never smelled any smoke so far in all my MH flights.

Edited by lcpteck

Sign in to follow this