MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Isaac

Cathay Pacific Quits Kuala Lumpur; Cathay Dragon (Dragonair) to Take Over from March 2017

Slightly off-topic, but if your non-Cathay but Oneworld flight departs from the new-ish midfield concourse (gates 201+), which CX lounge would be the best/ most convenient?

Slightly off-topic, but if your non-Cathay but Oneworld flight departs from the new-ish midfield concourse (gates 201+), which CX lounge would be the best/ most convenient?

Personally I would go to the Wing/Deck and head for the train at least 45 mins before departure. Just stay on the train until it arrives at the Midfield Concourse.

Some are willing to take the train to gates 40-60s for the Bridge/Pier before continuing their journey to the 200s. I find that to be a tad more inconvenient, though.

The bridge lounge is not far from the intermediate train stop between the low numbered gates and the midfield gates.

Why not try the Qantas Lounge!

Had a 4 hours transit in HKG just now before my flight back to KUL on MH. Time was spent at The Wing (shower), and the Qantas Lounge. The salted egg yolk shrimp was pretty good !

Edited by Walter Sim

Why not try the Qantas Lounge!

Had a 4 hours transit in HKG just now before my flight back to KUL on MH. Time was spent at The Wing (shower), and the Qantas Lounge. The salted egg yolk shrimp was pretty good !

Indeed, that's a very decent lounge as well with lots of space, but the Pier F side is proving to be too strong a magnet.

Cathay Dragon flights KA 725 & 734 are now using Cathay Pacific aircraft as seen from Flightradar24

Interesting. I wonder if it had to do with the 2.5 hour delay.

Nonetheless, those CX birds are 33Ps, so theres no material difference to the pax.

On another note, I wonder when the rumoured return of CX (proper) will take place...

Cathay Dragon flights KA 725 & 734 are now using Cathay Pacific aircraft as seen from Flightradar24

with CX's or KA's crew?

TOKYO/HONG KONG -- Cathay Pacific Airways on Tuesday confirmed it is negotiating to acquire budget carrier Hong Kong Express Airways from troubled Chinese conglomerate HNA Group.

The major Hong Kong-listed airline acknowledged news reports regarding the talks -- a story broken by Bloomberg last month. Cathay said it "is in active discussions about an acquisition involving HKE." It is Cathay's first sign of interest in the budget segment, and comes amid increasingly fierce competition and growing demand in Asia for cheaper travel options.

The acquisition hunt also comes as Cathay prepares to post its first profit in three years for last year. Its preliminary estimate put profit attributable to shareholders at 2.3 billion Hong Kong dollars ($293 million).

"HK Express is a competitor in [Cathay’s] home market in Hong Kong. This would be one way to take out competition and to prevent the future entrance into this segment," said Michel Brekelmans, managing director at consulting company SCP/Asia. Brekelmans said HK Express grown rapidly in recent years and now competes head-to-head with Cathay's wholly owned subsidiary Hong Kong Dragon Airlines (more commonly known as Cathay Dragon) which specializes in short-distance travel within the region.

This is not the first time Cathay has sought to snap up homegrown rivals. Past purchases have included Dragon Air and Air Hong Kong. Now, it is also reportedly looking to buy full-service carrier Hong Kong Airlines from HNA, although the company did not confirm this on Tuesday.

It will be interesting to see how UO fit into CX/KA family/business model.

It will be interesting to see how UO fit into CX/KA family/business model.

Hopefully, deal will get done with and UO does HKG-BKI in due course - this current AK monopoly on the route isn't particularly healthy

I thought Cathay is running red too... how can they afford to go on a shopping spree to buy HK Express and HK Airlines?

I thought Cathay is running red too... how can they afford to go on a shopping spree to buy HK Express and HK Airlines?

They have issued an alert to indicate that they expect to make quite a large profit for 2018. See: https://www.cathaypacific.com/dam/cx/about-us/investor-relations/announcements/en/20190220_CX_Profit_Alert_Announcement_en.pdf

This is their official statement on possible acquisitions:

https://www.cathaypacific.com/dam/cx/about-us/investor-relations/announcements/en/201903_cx_announcement_hke_en.pdf

Cathay Pacific recorded a HK$2.3 billion annual profit for 2018, reversing two straight years of losses, with the core airline business making a HK$645 million contribution to the upswing in fortunes.

Cathays earnings were shored up by its 18.13 per cent stake in Air China, its loyalty business Asia Miles, and holdings in cargo business ventures.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/transport/article/3001461/cathay-pacific-posts-hk23-billion-profit-2018-hong-kong

Ffp could be a profit center instead of cost center.

Since I was curious how Asia Miles makes money, went to check out their website for the proper announcement

Check it out

https://www.cathaypacific.com/dam/cx/about-us/investor-relations/announcements/en/2018_annual_results_announcement_en.pdf

FFPs make money by charging merchants who offer miles to customers, like banks offering exchanges for credit card points.

At least that's what I was told by my old colleague in Enrich.

Since I was curious how Asia Miles makes money, went to check out their website for the proper announcement

Check it out

https://www.cathaypacific.com/dam/cx/about-us/investor-relations/announcements/en/2018_annual_results_announcement_en.pdf

Asia Miles Limited achieved an increase in profit compared with 2017, due to an increase in business
volume. There was a 7% increase in redemptions by Asia Miles members on Cathay Pacific and Cathay
Dragon flights in 2018.

Cathay Pacific Airways has agreed a deal to acquire budget airline HK Express, according to sources familiar with the matter.
Hong Kong’s biggest airline is poised to make a formal announcement as early as Tuesday, though the sources did not elaborate on the agreement between the two sides, including the financial terms.

Hong Kong could face a second wave of measles infections, a top disease expert warned on Monday, as health authorities stepped up vaccinations of workers at the city’s airport.
The Centre for Health Protection has recorded 20 measles infections so far this year – against 15 in all of 2018 – five of them involving airport and airline staff.
The outbreak started early this month, when a Cathay Pacific Airways flight attendant displayed symptoms such as a fever and a rash.
University of Hong Kong microbiologist Dr Ho Pak-leung said the attendant, who had travelled to Japan, was probably the source of the outbreak at Hong Kong International Airport.
Ho noted the 23 year-old man was the first to become ill, and that a 41-year-old pilot working on the same airline also got sick during the incubation period of seven to 21 days.
The pilot, despite becoming ill on March 12, took seven flights between March 13 and 16.

Hey guys quick one, if I fly KUL-HKG on biz on Dragon, will I be eligible to use the KUL CX lounge and the famous CX lounge(s) at HKG?

On the flipside, if I fly MH Biz can I use CX lounge in HKG?

Thanks. The reason I ask is because theoretically I know you can, but sometimes on the ground its a different story.

However this one seems pretty straightforward. I seem to remember MH Biz pax to HK were sent to Plaza Premium.

Another Q, can you "lounge hop"? IE, try also the QF lounge? I probably won't do this (malu) but just asking :D

On the flipside, if I fly MH Biz can I use CX lounge in HKG?

Yes.

Thanks. The reason I ask is because theoretically I know you can, but sometimes on the ground its a different story.

However this one seems pretty straightforward. I seem to remember MH Biz pax to HK were sent to Plaza Premium.

Standard oneworld rules apply. No surprises here.

Another Q, can you "lounge hop"? IE, try also the QF lounge? I probably won't do this (malu) but just asking :D

Yes you can. Nobody will judge if you choose to do so.

Do allocate extra time for you to get to the Midfield Terminal as MH departs from there. Long trek if you're visiting The Pier

Do allocate extra time for you to get to the Midfield Terminal as MH departs from there. Long trek if you're visiting The Pier

Not really. It is not that long a trek as you can take the train from the "middle station" near where The Bridge is.

Sign in to follow this