MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Isaac

Cathay Pacific Quits Kuala Lumpur; Cathay Dragon (Dragonair) to Take Over from March 2017

I think KUL should not kid itself that it is a world class destination. If we remove the traffic from the Airasia Group airlines, it will be a rather second rate 30m p.a. pax airport.

CX and other FSCs have ample numbers to prove that KUL attracts mostly low yield pax and are therefore adjusting their presence to compete in that category. There is nothing wrong with that - you can't beat the market after all.

That would be inaccurate. IF Air Asia group did not exist, we'll see more FSC at KUL (due to higher yields) and also MH will be slightly larger because there are less competition. Remember the good ol' days where a KUL-SIN ticket costs RM 500-600 one way? At those prices, I bet we won't see MI/KA flying to KUL.

Why are CX/KA crew actively avoiding KUL service?

No idea about KA, but KUL is probably one of the longer regional route where they do a turnaround instead of an overnight for CX. Crew turnaround for CX 722/723, 724/725, 1 night for CX 720/729 and 2 nights CX 790/791.

was told that pax are hard to serve. both in EY and in J. ::80:: and talking about the layover, apparently KA has quite an awkward pattern for the last flight which means very little time to rest.

By the way what's the downside as a J pax other than having to survive on a KA metal (and maybe meals) for some 3 hours as part of a longer journey to Europe? Have never been on CX/KA's J but from what I understand KA has got CX's regional J product. Whenever my folks came to visit me in recent years they seemed to get the same kind of product on both the KUL-HKG and HKG-LHR sectors, so I assume that CX does not religiously deploying only the regional products to KUL?

Edited by CX B.

That would be inaccurate. IF Air Asia group did not exist, we'll see more FSC at KUL (due to higher yields) and also MH will be slightly larger because there are less competition. Remember the good ol' days where a KUL-SIN ticket costs RM 500-600 one way? At those prices, I bet we won't see MI/KA flying to KUL.

I think LCCs like Airasia also attract people who would not normally fly due to their greater affordability. Furthermore, Airasia Group airlines pax may also feed into FSC flights and contribute to the number of FSCs pax at KUL.

To say that KUL will have 60m FSC pax if LCCs were not around would not be quite right as many of them simply would not fly if those high fare levels still apply!

By the way what's the downside as a J pax other than having to survive on a KA metal (and maybe meals) for some 3 hours as part of a longer journey to Europe? Have never been on CX/KA's J but from what I understand KA has got CX's regional J product. Whenever my folks came to visit me in recent years they seemed to get the same kind of product on both the KUL-HKG and HKG-LHR sectors, so I assume that CX does not religiously deploying only the regional products to KUL?

That. Same product on both KUL-HKG and HKG-LHR ;) CX does not religiously deploy 33P to KUL and they usually have 1-2 flights a day on 33E/K or 77G/H.

I think LCCs like Airasia also attract people who would not normally fly due to their greater affordability. Furthermore, Airasia Group airlines pax may also feed into FSC flights and contribute to the number of FSCs pax at KUL.

To say that KUL will have 60m FSC pax if LCCs were not around would not be quite right as many of them simply would not fly if those high fare levels still apply!

I did not say KUL will have 60MM FSC pax. You said KUL will only have 30MM pax if we subtract Air Asia Group, but that wouldn't be accurate (assuming AK group carried around 25MM pax at KUL last year and total KUL pax was around 52MM last year). That's only additional 5MM pax you are accounting for. I am saying it'll be higher, not quite 50MM pax, but not as low as 30MM pax.

Air Asia Group has attracted people who wouldn't normally fly, but it has also taken some business away from FSC.

You just reminded me about the service aspect of it too. And also the loss of PEY service to KUL.

What loss? When KA completes the takeover you'll be guaranteed to get PY up front ;)

was told that pax are hard to serve. both in EY and in J. ::80:: and talking about the layover, apparently KA has quite an awkward pattern for the last flight which means very little time to rest.

Yes I can confirm that story is true. I have a friend who is a CX Flight attendant. From what she told me, they prefer to avoid KUL and SIN as pax are hard to serve and makes a complaint even on trivial matters. Pax from SIN-city even more so. That said Hong Kongers are pretty hard to serve themselves too, they are probably used to that.

Yes I can confirm that story is true. I have a friend who is a CX Flight attendant. From what she told me, they prefer to avoid KUL and SIN as pax are hard to serve and makes a complaint even on trivial matters. Pax from SIN-city even more so. That said Hong Kongers are pretty hard to serve themselves too, they are probably used to that.

Every flight has the potential to have problematic passengers, not just to KUL and SIN.

Every flight has the potential to have problematic passengers, not just to KUL and SIN.

I know, but it wasn't me who said that. I am quoting what she mentioned. Indian destinations apparently are flights that CX would love to avoid too.

Can't answer this specific question, but there could be several possible reasons.

1. How was the crew schedule? HKG-KUL-HKG sectors are just about the limit of crew duty time. Therefore it could be a tiring duty pattern.

2. How about the allowance received? If they do a turnaround flight, not only it will be tiring but the allowance could be less too, depending on how the allowance is paid.

3. Passenger profile. It is a known fact that certain routes are frequented by passengers that are less easy to please.

It is a fact that in the old days, MH crew will try their best to avoid the KUL-MAA-KUL sectors. The flight departs late at night and come back early morning, those days crew only get their meal allowances if the hit the correct timing (breakfast, lunch, and dinner; no allowance if working outside those hours). The MAA flights got the combination of ungodly working hours, very little allowances, long working hours and demanding passengers. Most crew will try to avoid that flight.

any idea what will happen to the CX lounge ?

been staffed by Plaza Premium people for the past 2 years, will it become another PP lounge ?

One KA FA friend told me

Turnaround flight 11hours duty and they have at least one flight every month

Overnight flight also quite bad worst case arrive KL at night then next morning 8am fly again

KL pax more demanding but understandable as KL is main city like Hongkong compared to PEN pax who are easy going

One KA FA friend told me

Turnaround flight 11hours duty and they have at least one flight every month

Overnight flight also quite bad worst case arrive KL at night then next morning 8am fly again

KL pax more demanding but understandable as KL is main city like Hongkong compared to PEN pax who are easy going

Tokyo, Shanghai, Bangkok, Osaka, Taipei etc... are much larger compared to HKG and KUL... you probably don't get nagging passengers as much... why oh why...!?

1. CX/KA suck in terms of service...

2. People from HKG, KUL and SIN love to complaint and nag...

3. All of the above.

Edited by S V Choong

Hey guys quick one, if I fly KUL-HKG on biz on Dragon, will I be eligible to use the KUL CX lounge and the famous CX lounge(s) at HKG?

Hey guys quick one, if I fly KUL-HKG on biz on Dragon, will I be eligible to use the KUL CX lounge and the famous CX lounge(s) at HKG?

Yes. You have a choice of 5 lounges in HKG - the wing J, the pier J, the deck, the cabin or the QF lounge.

Yes. You have a choice of 5 lounges in HKG - the wing J, the pier J, the deck, the cabin or the QF lounge.

The Cabin is closed. Not a huge loss though, IMO.

It's still 5 lounges if you count the Arrival lounge :p

How would you rank these?

Will I be able to use MH lounge at KUL? Technically the answer is yes.. But you know...

Edited by jani

Will I be able to use MH lounge at KUL? Technically the answer is yes.. But you know...

The answer is yes.

Not sure what the ambiguity is about though.

Was once on QR where MH Golden Lounge didn't let us enter.. Something about QR not paying MH the fees or whatever so they were suspending the partnership or something like that. I've posted about it before on these boards.

The Cabin is closed. Not a huge loss though, IMO.

It's still 5 lounges if you count the Arrival lounge :p

Sorry. Meant the bridge. If you count arrivals its 6 then :) rules a bit different for that one - technically not a Oneworld lounge that.

How would you rank these?

Honestly theyre similar. Go to the one nearest to your gate.

If youre departing from the 60s - choose the pier. If from the 40s - the bridge or a slightly longer walk to the pier.

If youre going from the low 20s to 36 - bridge works. The deck, wing and QF works too albeit a longer walk. If youre going from 1-4 - the wing. 11-15 the deck.

As for rank... slightly mischievous but .. its the pier F 😛 followed closely by the wing F.

Edited by Suzanne Goh

If you get a 40-70s gate you can use the lounges closer to immigration (QF/Wing/Deck), then take the train.

But it only goes one-way so the reverse would be quite a haul.

Unless i am in the mood for lounge hopping, i would just go with what Suzanne mentioned and use the nearest one.

Sign in to follow this