MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
JuliusWong

Firefly freezes capacity growth as demand slows

Most of us would agree that back then MAS had not much options for F-50 replacement apart from Bombardier Q400. Q400 is cost prohibitive to acquire and consume more fuel despite being faster. Caught in between a rock and a hard place, MAS needed a replacement fast as F-50 parts were getting difficult to acquire and fuel price was a concern. As to why they placed ATR 72-600 order when most ATR 72-500 are still relatively young is a million dollar question.

As to why they placed ATR 72-600 order when most ATR 72-500 are still relatively young is a million dollar question.

The orders were placed at a time when FY was doing well and MASWings had some airy fairy plans to overcome talk by the Sabah and Sarawak state govts. wanting to start their own airlines. It was also before Malindo began their ATR ops in SZB.

I wonder what they are planning to do with the stored fleet - sell them or lease them to third parties?

9M-FIA

30911108926_691676e40d_c.jpg

9M-FIB

30830541392_680ef77c2b_c.jpg

9M-FIC

30645368870_834d5777fd_c.jpg

9M-FID

30645359700_12eb4ec8bf_c.jpg

9M-FIE

22768356668_78b55c8dda_c.jpg

9M-FIF

30830449552_c903b41507_c.jpg

9M-FIG

30830443332_2dc0fa1b8b_c.jpg

9M-FIH

30830426452_e43f0692fe_c.jpg

I wonder what they are planning to do with the stored fleet - sell them or lease them to third parties?

Some sold, some cannibalized for parts and waiting for buyer.

Fy is supposed to be high yield and low opex. Guess the old disease of leakages has reoccurred. Euthanasia or amputation may be is the realistic solution.

Edited by KK Lee

Are those the new at72-600s? Guess they overestimated the growth of the airline when they ordered those new fleet. But better store and sell rather then working over underutilised aircrafts. Malindo is a bit aggressive though. Sell to Malindo perhaps? Or to any new startups who dare to dream..

Operational cost have crept up with the airline coupled with fierce competition from Malindo air.

Firefly has reduced their frequencies drastically - I just noticed it as I am making bookings for flights to Singapore and also Kota Bharu. For Singapore sector, there are now 7 flights a day - I remembered there were at least 10 flights a couple of years ago when i used to make day trips there. KBR sector, Firefly has 8 flights a day compared to Malindo's 13.

Interestingly, I noticed that purchasing Firefly's flights to Singapore is cheaper on MAB's website on the codeshared flights. Any reason for this?

Are things not looking too good in Firefly?

Firefly has reduced their frequencies drastically - I just noticed it as I am making bookings for flights to Singapore and also Kota Bharu. For Singapore sector, there are now 7 flights a day - I remembered there were at least 10 flights a couple of years ago when i used to make day trips there. KBR sector, Firefly has 8 flights a day compared to Malindo's 13.

Interestingly, I noticed that purchasing Firefly's flights to Singapore is cheaper on MAB's website on the codeshared flights. Any reason for this?

Are things not looking too good in Firefly?

Before Malindo came in, things were just fine for Firefly. Just like Malaysia Airlines, prior to AirAsia debut into Malaysian Aviation business

Well MH is hurting again since Malindo decided to be a FSC and took over many of MH's code share partners. It would appear that MH's alliance with EK has more costs than benefits.

MH's alliance with EK has not really made much improvement for MH. It effectively took MH out of the competition in many routes - I expected EK to increase flight offerings to Malaysia but it seems like they have gone the other way! It has also soured MH's relationships with other airlines. Seems like a lose-lose situation for MH

Ditto frequency of FY flights to JHB

Well MH is hurting again since Malindo decided to be a FSC and took over many of MH's code share partners. It would appear that MH's alliance with EK has more costs than benefits.

AFAIK OD did not take over MH's code-share partner. Other airlines may have signed up with OD for SPA/interline in addition to or replaced MH.

And I don't know why MH-EK partnership exists - literally. Except for ME/Africa, MH routing rules aren't valid on EK (I don't know if it's a regulation hurdle that has yet to be cleared tho). Ex-EU/East Coast US, it's usually BA/AA to LHR and then MH to KUL. West Coast US is usually CX/JL/KE/AA to HKG/TYO/ICN and then MH to KUL. There are a few EY via AUH options on MH fares to/from MENA too.

Before Malindo came in, things were just fine for Firefly. Just like Malaysia Airlines, prior to AirAsia debut into Malaysian Aviation business

I understand this would be the case for SZB-KBR route, and also PEN route and others that Malindo flies to. But Firefly still has monopoly for SZB-SIN, and that also we see reduced frequencies. And I have also heard of frequent "retimed" flights from friends and colleagues. So looks like tough days ahead ?

Where are the Firefly 600s stored?

Are all the MASwings 600 stored at KUL?

Geoff

Rumour said repossessed by returned to lessor and cannibalized for parts.

Have been making a few Firefly SZB-SIN-SZB flights recently and noted that the loads have been really good, and the tickets were not cheap as well - almost full flights except a handful of empty seats. Also noted that there was now male cabin crew on board on my flight yesterday. When does Firefly start hiring male cabin crew?

Have been making a few Firefly SZB-SIN-SZB flights recently and noted that the loads have been really good, and the tickets were not cheap as well - almost full flights except a handful of empty seats. Also noted that there was now male cabin crew on board on my flight yesterday. When does Firefly start hiring male cabin crew?

Spillover from MAB or those male crew originally from FY jet service??

It's a monopoly for Firefly at Changi for the Subang route, which for obvious reasons is still the preferred airport for some folks in suburban Klang Valley. Prices aren't that far off from SQ/MI/MH. They will continue to milk this route dry until they get booted off to Seletar.

It's a monopoly for Firefly at Changi for the Subang route, which for obvious reasons is still the preferred airport for some folks in suburban Klang Valley. Prices aren't that far off from SQ/MI/MH. They will continue to milk this route dry until they get booted off to Seletar.

and OD starts to take substantial chunk of that pie...they better have comprehensive business plan for this foreseeable and impending business risk

Sign in to follow this