MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MH Northern Winter 2016/2017 Schedule Change

I think that CM made a big mistake cutting of its European feed.

At that time, the move was to stop the bleeding. The high fuel costs and inefficient equipment meant that they are losing a lot of money.

I think they will return to Europe once they have the A350s delivered. That is why they said they are planning to get more.

I think that CM made a big mistake cutting of its European feed.

Yes, big mistake for CM to cut the European feed which is in competition with the ME3 that has a 20% cost advantage over MH on those routes. A BFM.

Why should the pax fly MH when their own airlines fly non stop?

Same reason why many Malaysians choose to fly an EK/QR/EY/SQ one-stopper over an MH non-stop flight to LHR - because they can price it cheaper.

Yes, big mistake for CM to cut the European feed which is in competition with the ME3 that has a 20% cost advantage over MH on those routes. A BFM.

Same reason why many Malaysians choose to fly an EK/QR/EY/SQ one-stopper over an MH non-stop flight to LHR - because they can price it cheaper.

Almost everything (e.g. wages, accommodation, foods, construction, etc) except fuel (which is a commodity) is more expensive in the Middle East than in KL. How could ME3 has cost advantage over MH?

Edited by KK Lee

Almost everything (e.g. wages, accommodation, foods, construction, etc) except fuel (which is a commodity) is more expensive in the Middle East than in KL. How could ME3 has cost advantage over MH?

EK don't need to fill up the plane with fuel to fly the long range that MH has to on the European flights & they don't need to have a relief crew because the flights are under 8 hours. That alone neutralizes the cost disadvantages.

Plus, thanks to the fact that its plane don't need full fuel tanks extra payload can be carried, which means more revenue.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

EK don't need to fill up the plane with fuel to fly the long range that MH has to on the European flights & they don't need to have a relief crew because the flights are under 8 hours. That alone neutralizes the cost disadvantages.

Plus, thanks to the fact that its plane don't need full fuel tanks extra payload can be carried, which means more revenue.

Similar under 8 hours advantage is available to MH on ME, Asia and Australia routes.

If under 8 hours flight time could give such a significant saving, for flight to EUR, MH should stopover in ME for refuel and crew change.

If under 8 hours flight time could give such a significant saving, for flight to EUR, MH should stopover in ME for refuel and crew change.

Missing the point completely.

EK's flights stop at its own point of origin. For MH to do what EK does and stop in ME, additional costs will be incurred in terms of crew accommodation. Plus, if MH's unable to pickup passengers on its stopover what's the point?

Note that when CM was talking about the cost advantage that EK has it's referring specifically to European flights.

Similar under 8 hours advantage is available to MH on ME, Asia and Australia routes.

Well, did MH stop all flights to Australia or North Asia?

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Missing the point completely.

EK's flights stop at its own point of origin. For MH to do what EK does and stop in ME, additional costs will be incurred in terms of crew accommodation. Plus, if MH's unable to pickup passengers on its stopover what's the point?

Note that when CM was talking about the cost advantage that EK has it's referring specifically to European flights.

Well, did MH stop all flights to Australia or North Asia?

ME is strategically located to cater for transit passenger & has always been transit focused. MY isn't as strategically located.

ME3 geographical advantage didn't stop other airline like BA, LH, KL, AF, SQ, CX, etc to fly between Asia and Europe.
MH has always been allowed 5th freedom rights from DXB.
For kangaroo route, believe KUL/SIN/BKK/HKG geographical position is more strategic than ME. From ME, ME3 need either ultra long range or make 1 stop to reach AUS. Before emergence of ME3, MH was similarly transit focused.
Edited by KK Lee

ME3 geographical advantage didn't stop other airline like BA, LH, KL, AF, SQ, CX, etc to fly between Asia and Europe.

Again, forgetting the difference in market dynamics. Put it this way - which cities are currently served by AF, LH, KL & BA in South East Asia besides SIN & BKK? I know AF flies to SGN, BA flies to KUL & KL flies to CGK - note any similarities?

For kangaroo route, believe KUL/SIN/BKK/HKG geographical position is more strategic than ME. From ME, ME3 need either ultra long range or make 1 stop to reach AUS. Before emergence of ME3, MH was similarly transit focused.

It's a testament to the changed market condition that even the airline that famously trademarked the term "Kangaroo Route" no longer flies on that particular route. It's now the "Falcon Route" for them.

Again, forgetting the difference in market dynamics. Put it this way - which cities are currently served by AF, LH, KL & BA in South East Asia besides SIN & BKK? I know AF flies to SGN, BA flies to KUL & KL flies to CGK - note any similarities?

It's a testament to the changed market condition that even the airline that famously trademarked the term "Kangaroo Route" no longer flies on that particular route. It's now the "Falcon Route" for them.

How many major cities are there in SE Asia?

Labour cost in AUS is a lot higher than MYS.

How many major cities are there in SE Asia?

You tell me, I asked you.

Labour cost in AUS is a lot higher than MYS.

Problem is they have a low cost subsidiary which they could have pushed those long haul flights via the Kangaroo Route to. But they didn't now, did they?

You can continue to play obtuse and prolong this dialogue forever but fact of the matter is the game has changed & to cling to past history, to apply past strategy which has proven not to work, is a foolhardy affair.

fact of the matter is the game has changed & to cling to past history, to apply past strategy which has proven not to work, is a foolhardy affair.

Yes, even SQ are finding it hard to compete on the kangaroo route. That is why it is using its LCC subsidiaries more and more. Scoot will soon start EU long haul routes, replacing SQ on some of these destinations.

MAB should really study setting up their own LCC. Otherwise, it will not have all the tools to defend itself against the ME3 and other competition.

You tell me, I asked you.

Problem is they have a low cost subsidiary which they could have pushed those long haul flights via the Kangaroo Route to. But they didn't now, did they?

You can continue to play obtuse and prolong this dialogue forever but fact of the matter is the game has changed & to cling to past history, to apply past strategy which has proven not to work, is a foolhardy affair.

More like mh failed to adapt to current environment. European fsc like ba, af, kl and lh are still performing fairly well despite facing lcc and me3 concurrently.

More like mh failed to adapt to current environment. European fsc like ba, af, kl and lh are still performing fairly well despite facing lcc and me3 concurrently.

Hahaa... MH technically bankrupt earlier.. Of course laa they have failed.. In fact a couple of times already..

Edited by nrazmoor

You do realize that France, Germany & the Netherlands have restricted ME3 expansion in their home markets, right?

As for UK, the market's big enough that it can absorb the ME3 onslaught without much fuss. Also helps that QR owns a stake in IAG, the holding company of BA & IB.

You do realize that France, Germany & the Netherlands have restricted ME3 expansion in their home markets, right?

As for UK, the market's big enough that it can absorb the ME3 onslaught without much fuss. Also helps that QR owns a stake in IAG, the holding company of BA & IB.

Guess MH has surrendered to ME3.

On North Asia and Australia that is within 8 hours from KUL, how is MH to improve load and yield?

Malaysia Airlines W16 Kota Kinabalu Tokyo schedule changes

Malaysia Airlines in Northern winter 2016/17 season is adjusting operational schedule for Kota Kinabalu Tokyo Narita route, effective from 31OCT16. The airline plans to move departure time from Kota Kinabalu from early-morning to overnight hours. Tokyo departure will move from afternoon to morning hours.

This route is operated by Boeing 737-800 aircraft.

MH080 BKI0050 0720NRT 738 14

MH081 NRT0930 1500BKI 738 14

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/269341/malaysia-airlines-w16-kota-kinabalu-tokyo-schedule-changes/

Looks like MH is following AK's example....

Malaysia Airlines to fly Airbus 330 to Hong Kong, offers special deal

KUALA LUMPUR (Oct 26): Malaysia Airlines Bhd today announced a fare deal of RM788 all-in return economy class and RM2,088 all-in return on business class as the national carrier introduces the Airbus 330 on the Kuala Lumpur-Hong Kong route.

The promotion starts from today until Oct 31 for travel from Jan 1 next year, prior to the Chinese Lunar New Year.
"We are excited to be flying the A330 to Hong Kong. By the end of the first quarter of 2017, we will be the only airline to provide the fully flat business class seat on a wide body aircraft for this sector," said Malaysia Airlines chief executive officer Peter Bellew.
More:

Looks like MH is following AK's example....

Malaysia Airlines to fly Airbus 330 to Hong Kong, offers special deal

KUALA LUMPUR (Oct 26): Malaysia Airlines Bhd today announced a fare deal of RM788 all-in return economy class and RM2,088 all-in return on business class as the national carrier introduces the Airbus 330 on the Kuala Lumpur-Hong Kong route.

The promotion starts from today until Oct 31 for travel from Jan 1 next year, prior to the Chinese Lunar New Year.
"We are excited to be flying the A330 to Hong Kong. By the end of the first quarter of 2017, we will be the only airline to provide the fully flat business class seat on a wide body aircraft for this sector," said Malaysia Airlines chief executive officer Peter Bellew.
More:

So, MH72/73 will be the flight to receive A333 equipment upgrade. Previous time, MH used to send their A380 to HKG.

Edited by Wan

..... we will be the only airline to provide the fully flat business class seat on a wide body aircraft for this sector .....

And that will the focus of market differentiation on the near four hour flight ?

And that will the focus of market differentiation on the near four hour flight ?

Some pax may have to wake up very early to catch this flight, I guess! ;)

I suspect that PB is trying to win over some CX pax who may not fancy flying pn KA. He may also be indirectly trying to counter AK's morning flight that is now operated using wet leased XT A333 equipment.

By the end of the first quarter of 2017, we will be the only airline to ________________ on a wide body aircraft for this sector.

(A) serve satay with teh tarik in business class

(B) have kebaya-clad cabin crew

© broadcast a travel prayer

(D) have the colour blue, apart from red and white,

(E) provide on request narrow, purple-coloured thin blankets

(F) offer for your reading pleasure the Going Places magazine

(G) serve Malaysia Airlines-branded packet of peanuts

(H) use glassware emblazoned with tiny images of a Malaysian traditional kite

(I) tempt solo travellers with throne single seats in business class

Wow. So many exclusives!!

Sign in to follow this