MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mike P

Cabin Crew on Helping Customer with Cabin Luggage: Yay or Nay?

Guys, no personal attacks please. Again, i agree that the l cabin crew have no obligation to help passengers put away overhead luggage. However, as mentioned above, at the check in desk or at the boarding gate, someone can pull aside passengers with large hand luggage and offer to stow it in the cargo hold. That is done routinely here in the UK.

Guys, no personal attacks please. Again, i agree that the l cabin crew have no obligation to help passengers put away overhead luggage. However, as mentioned above, at the check in desk or at the boarding gate, someone can pull aside passengers with large hand luggage and offer to stow it in the cargo hold. That is done routinely here in the UK.

Apparently not in MY here... AK did it on their own... mostly because this could lead them to earn extra money. But not for other airlines... hmm.. I still think Malaysia is being complacent with the current situation, even security measure, too.

Or when there is no more space in the overhead locker. Like AirAsia...you pay for check in luggage on US airlines...1st bag usd25...2nd...usd35. If the ground staff thinks there isn't any space available anymore...they will offer to put your bag in the cargo for free...Had mine done so from Lexington KY to Atlanta then to Greenville SC...

Why were you in my kampung, Lexington?! :D

Swiss regularly ask passengers to check in their luggage at the gate when it is obvious that they are too big or too heavy. Or they ask you to drop it off in front of the steps if you are bussed to the plane. That'll teach passengers for next time - carrying the bags all the way to the plane themselves and ending up having to wait at the carousel anyway...

Why were you in my kampung, Lexington?! :D

Visited my cousin when I was in the US. He's with big ass fan.

How is Lexington your kampung?

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

There is only one reason why the cabin crew are there. Its CASA requirement that should an evacuation needs to take place there are trained personal to open the exits and evacuate people and lead them to safety. (45 pax per one crew, so for example on an A320 with 180 pax you need min of 4 crew or else the plane cant depart.(1 per every main exit).

Everything else is secondary,including service.Having said that its nice to have courteous crew which makes the flight more enjoyable.

But as far as your personal belongings are concerned.you carried them all the way from your home then why do you expect someone else to carry it for you in the plane? Just bring enough weight as you can carry.

Imagine if a crew goes around carrying bags,in one duty 4 flights he will be meeting 180 x 4 sectors= 720 pax.How many bags do you expect him/her to carry?

The rule of the thumb is YOU PACK YOU STACK.Only exception YPTA and WHCR and frail pax.

Edited by jadivindra

Sign in to follow this