MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
V Wong

MAB to Operate Some Leisure Flights from KLIA2/LCCT2 Beginning 2017

Ba operate from lgw was largely result of acquisition of british Caledonian.

There won't be a hassle for O&d pax to use different terminal. What about transit pax? Kul is supposed to be mh's hub providing connection. As a fsc, a large portion of revenue is from transit pax.

The announcement mentioned that select "leisure" flights would be operated from KLIA2. I don't think that there'd be much transit happening from these so called leisure flights, of course I might be wrong

Then again perhaps we should wait until they clarify what they really mean by these "leisure" flights before we start bashing them about it

Edited by Najib Ramli

Come on... just give them a chance... AA operated in DFW at three different terminals... let them operate 1st, If it's not working, let's coming back here and bad-mouthing them!

Inter-terminal transfers available airside for DFW I believe. None available between KLIA MTB/SAT and KLIA2/LCCT airside. Nightmare for transit passengers.

The announcement mentioned that select "leisure" flights would be operated from KLIA2. I don't think that there'd be much transit happening from these so called leisure flights, of course I might be wrong

Then again perhaps we should wait until they clarify what they really mean by these "leisure" flights before we start bashing them about it

Regardless, I'd personally always be a transit passenger with my final destination being KCH. This sounds like hassle, hassle, hassle. And what about my Golden Lounge?!?! T.T
Edited by Ashley Lee

I'm guessing those with multiple daily flight targeted solely for O&D will be move to KLIA2. Flights with existing codeshare partners most probably be maintain at main terminal...

Dont think this a good move to MH if its realize. Unless MAHB decide to built aerotrain that connect main terminal with KLIA2 then its ok

Come on... just give them a chance... AA operated in DFW at three different terminals... let them operate 1st, If it's not working, let's coming back here and bad-mouthing them!

If mh has a sterling record of success, no one will question their corporate strategy. However, given their track record and we, the taxpayers are the ultimate paymaster for their failure, we have every right to voice our concern.

If raising our concern is bad mouth, what about treating reduction in pax airport tax as airline cost saving?

Edited by KK Lee

Leisure routes are generally O&D traffic negating the need for "airside" transfers. Could be a new business entirely operating with excess MH metal on a wet-lease basis.

Could it be this is just an exercise to annoy AK group ?

Sort of like stirring up trouble (Chinese version being less elegant - stirring up 541+) in view of current spat MAHB vs AK group on branding of LCCT-KL/KLIA2

:)

Assumed mle, dps, hkt, lgk are leisure destinations. How many of these pax are o&d? Is mh going to neglect transit pax to these destinations?

Edited by KK Lee

If raising our concern is bad mouth, what about treating reduction in pax airport tax as airline cost saving?

Yes KK, I agree with you my friend. It is just me anyway. It's like saying "LCCT KL: Asia's Low Cost Hub (Also known to some as KLIA2). So in my words " Raise Concern (Also known to some as Bad-Mouthing!)". Hihi :pardon: :rofl:

MH leisure flight could mean point-to-point, like AK but without "Fly-thru".

I have feelings that those "leisure flights" will be using 738 from FY and non-BSI fleets.

I feel the same too..and another leisure routes that come to my mind is KBV,CEB,BDO,SUB. And maybe MH wants to try LOP since demand to LOP is quite high if I'm not mistaken

I have feelings that those "leisure flights" will be using 738 from FY and non-BSI fleets.

Same here, it's better for them to spin off the mainline to avoid anymore "lucky draws".

Anyway, I don't know how to react on this. From passengers point of view, is definitely good; but from the business strategy sense given those multiple turnaround, it's shall suggest otherwise.

If LCC or "leisure flights" is doable, they should get it done right in the first place instead of withdrawing it due to shares swap.

Still, the best option is, consolidate turboprop operation into one brand with one business model; spin off those non BSI fleets for "leisure flights' and beef up the standards for the mainline.

And what is "leisure flights" by the way, they need to define it. For existing routes, perhaps they can split out in say a 40 (LCC): 60 (FSC) ratio so that passengers have a choice and do not cannibalise themselves. Meaning if one route is served 5 times daily, transform 2 flights to LCC & maintain the other 3 as FSC.

Whatever it is, let's see how they go about in the future. Malindo or Batik Air Malaysia future looks promising...

I was about to comment yesterday hopefully Bellew won't bring Ryanair mantra to MAB...It seems like low cost mentality in him he works faster than my fingers do. Good luck MAB..

People keep saying this is Bellew's Ryanair DNA at play.. Do you guys think this just happened overnight once he became CEO? This has probably been in the works for months..

Can imagine a lot of MAB aircraft towing from KLIA to KLIA 2 and vv,once they terminate on one terminal and next flight next morning is fom KLIA 2. Brace for further delays.

Those leisure flights may not offer business class seats, thus eliminating the need of Golden Lounge KLIA2

Remember their earlier plan to offer cheaper business class but without lounge offering? This probably part of the plan...

My key issue is MH has gone through this whole LCC path in the past (remember those MH's 0 Fare, snackbox, Firefly jet competing with MH mainline on same routes etc) and they failed miserably.

What makes Bellew or anyone think it will be different this time around?

I don't get it.

"Fool me twice, shame on me" - Hello MH?

I think this time, the danger is even greater.

AK is now a stronger competitor with a wider network. Although they say they are a point to point carrier, their business model has evolved somewhat. They now have a sizeable "fly thru" business - so they are, in some ways, a hybrid carrier. When CNNs Richard Quest did the Around the World on LCCs feature a few months ago, he expected Airasia to be cheap and nasty. He had to revise that perception after flying two sectors on AK.

AK's costs will decline further as it begins retiring old aircraft and taking in new A320neo's. A 15% reduction in fuel costs will be a worthwhile saving because oil prices are rising again. MAB does not have any order for new, fuel saving aircraft - so its CASKs will remain higher for some time.

Malindo Air/Batik Air Malaysia will bite MAB at the FSC end of the business this time. MAB will also be losing code share partners as they defect to Malindo. So, if MAB shifts its focus even one bit, you can be sure that the market share battle will be easily lost.

Other than that, we can see that MAB still has internal conflicts - so they are quite capable of scoring own goals. The new CEO's job won't be easy - but at least, he has the experience in cost management. Hopefully, he can further trim MABs operating costs to ensure that it can complete the turnaround plan in the stipulated time period.

Lets wait and see what happens - they will have to make announcements on these leisure routes and how they will be implemented.

Remember their earlier plan to offer cheaper business class but without lounge offering? This probably part of the plan...

This doesn't take into account holders of Enrich Silver+/Gold/Plat/OWS/OWE who should be afforded lounge privileges regardless of class of service.

Can imagine a lot of MAB aircraft towing from KLIA to KLIA 2 and vv,once they terminate on one terminal and next flight next morning is fom KLIA 2. Brace for further delays.

Or bus pax from one terminal to another.

This doesn't take into account holders of Enrich Silver+/Gold/Plat/OWS/OWE who should be afforded lounge privileges regardless of class of service.

Pax can be loyal to ffp, doesn't mean airline will be loyal to pax. Edited by KK Lee

They might scrap business class as these are leisure destinations. They could call it premium economy.

Or bus pax from one terminal to another.

Pax can be loyal to ffp, doesn't mean airline will be loyal to pax.

Agreed. That's why I'm personally not feeling this move. Surely busing services will incur extra charges onto MAB and consequently onto PAX

If there are aerotrains to travel between terminals, without needing to check out and check back in, I would not mind.

If Bellew is planning to set up something like Silk Air feeding into mainline SQ service vv., we don't mind though. However it should be done at same terminal to ensure seamless and excellent connectivity. The current shuttling between both KLIA and KLIA 2 is nothing too much to desire for. Even Silk Air being a leisure driven, regional airlines has decwnt Business Class. Throw in Bangkok Air, mileage earnings and redemption, MAB shouldn't be too far off.

I wonder how MAHB think now that MAN is planning to move or start some new flight from KLIA 2?? Oh well let's wait for more details.

Pax can be loyal to ffp, doesn't mean airline will be loyal to pax.

Nonsense. If the so-called leisure fights are operating under the MH code, OW benefits will have to be honoured.

Sign in to follow this