MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
V Wong

MAB to Operate Some Leisure Flights from KLIA2/LCCT2 Beginning 2017

http://m.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/new-malaysia-airlines-boss-announces-cheaper-fares-cost-cutting-moves

MAB to move some flights to KLIA2... No wonder la... I just knew something was brewing ! Scheming b$&@(:$d!

Wonder how operating from different terminal could save on operation cost.

If MAB is obsessed with AK, should turn itself into a full fledged LCC else unlikely able to compete with AK except with sugar daddy assistance taxpayers subsidy.

MAS plans leisure flights from KLIA2 in 2017

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia Airlines Bhd plans to operate some leisure flights from Kuala Lumpur KLIA2 in 2017 where the costs are lower as it continues with its turnaround initiatives, says its new chief executive officer Peter Bellew.
Bellew, who took over as CEO of Malaysia Aviation Group and MAS on Friday, said the decision to have some leisure flights at KLIA2 was due to the lower airport costs.
At the KLIA2, he said costs are lower by RM33 (US$8.25) per passenger lower or RM5,412 (US$1,350) per flight.
“On one daily flight this simple saving will be RM1,975,380 or US$500,000 per annum. We will pass on these savings to customers with lower fares. Each and every cost of everything we do will be minutely checked daily without changing any quality,” he said.
He also said MAS had seen great progress in the last 10 months with many turnaround initiatives working.
“Our first quarter showed performance indicators on track with yield up 23.4%, costs down by 32.9% and our bottom line ahead of budget,” he said.
Bellew added MAS had already seen fuel savings of 10,000 tonnes in the first quarter but more can be done.
He emphasised that saving money, does not mean compromising on safety or on its products and services.
More:

At the KLIA2, he said costs are lower by RM33 (US$8.25) per passenger lower or RM5,412 (US$1,350) per flight.

On one daily flight this simple saving will be RM1,975,380 or US$500,000 per annum. We will pass on these savings to customers with lower fares. Each and every cost of everything we do will be minutely checked daily without changing any quality, he said.

He also said MAS had seen great progress in the last 10 months with many turnaround initiatives working.

Our first quarter showed performance indicators on track with yield up 23.4%, costs down by 32.9% and our bottom line ahead of budget, he said.

Bellew added MAS had already seen fuel savings of 10,000 tonnes in the first quarter but more can be done.

He emphasised that saving money, does not mean compromising on safety or on its products and services.

More:

http://www.thestar.com.my/business/business-news/2016/07/01/mas-plans-leisure-flights-from-klia2-in-2017/

In addition of pax airport tax, mahb charge airline on pax? Or rm33 saving is from airport tax?

If rm33 saving is from pax airport tax, it is not capture by mab as cost.

Oh no, here we go again. Competing with LCCs again. Well, difficult not to if Bellew came from a LCC before

Shhh...OD moves to KLIA, AK wants to name it LCCT, now MH wants to move to KLIA2/LCCT2. What a drama...

In addition of pax airport tax, mahb charge airline on pax? Or rm33 saving is from airport tax?

If rm33 saving is from pax airport tax, it is not capture by mab as cost.

Yes he is referring to the savings pax will make I guess.

What a terrible move. Should have brought back Firefly Jet to do this instead of severely diluting the MAS brand.

Yes he is referring to the savings pax will make I guess.

What a terrible move. Should have brought back Firefly Jet to do this instead of severely diluting the MAS brand.

If he treats reduction in pax airport tax as a saving to mh implying he is into creative accounting; mean we could expect more magic from him. Edited by KK Lee

New MAS chief wants to move some flights to KLIA2 to cut expenses

PETALING JAYA: Peter Bellew started his first day as the new chief of Malaysia Airlines Bhd (MAS), saying he wanted a move.
He wants to move part of the airline’s operations to KLIA2 to cut cost.
He also promises to pass the savings to travellers in the form of lower fares.
Over the next 12 months, MAS will have a new website, mobile app, trade reservations system and airport equipment.
It will also start new routes from various Malaysian airports to new Asean destinations and focus on marketing itself globally again.
More:

Yes, I think that they should bring back Firefly jet to operate from klia2.

People are bound to be confused by MAB operating from both terminals and may miss their flights because they went to the wrong terminal.

I was flying out to JHB on Friday morning on OD at 8.15AM flight. At 8AM, I couldn't see any gate indicated for the flight on the flight info screen and managed to ask a OD staff to direct me to B1, to my surprise, the gates were fully occupied in the morning and many OD passengers would need to travel via bus to an opened tarmac to board the flights. Wow!

New MAS chief wants to move some flights to KLIA2 to cut expenses

PETALING JAYA: Peter Bellew started his first day as the new chief of Malaysia Airlines Bhd (MAS), saying he wanted a move.
He wants to move part of the airline’s operations to KLIA2 to cut cost.
He also promises to pass the savings to travellers in the form of lower fares.
Over the next 12 months, MAS will have a new website, mobile app, trade reservations system and airport equipment.
It will also start new routes from various Malaysian airports to new Asean destinations and focus on marketing itself globally again.
More:

Yes, I think that they should bring back Firefly jet to operate from klia2.

People are bound to be confused by MAB operating from both terminals and may miss their flights because they went to the wrong terminal.

The move may have saved cost but it would confused passengers indeed. And what which outbound flights would be put at KLIA 2? Short Haul? The transit time could be longer for passengers travelling from one terminal to another and would it mean a new Golden Lounge would need to be invested in KLIA 2 too? How would AK say again? LCCT? KLIA2? Sigh..

Fy at SZb is charging premium fare. If fy from kul to charge lcc fare, it will be interesting to see where fy will be position in marketing.

Fsc like ba, kl, af, lh, etc could handle lcc, why can't mh copy their strategy?

The world is greater than the kampung. Instead of ak, mh should be obsessed with ek and qr. How to emulate and better them.

Edited by KK Lee

The world is greater than the kampung. Instead of ak, mh should be obsessed with ek and qr. How to emulate and better them.

Instead, MH has jumped into bed with EK and continued liaison with QR (and EY too in fact) - a form of obsession too, no ? :D

It will also start new routes from various Malaysian airports to new Asean destinations and focus on marketing itself globally again

Sigh, I hope it's just my cynicism, but it looks like the resolve for financial prudence is starting to cave in to political needs to trumpet 'development', whether real or imagined :(

if domestic flights are moved to klia 2 how on earth will I be able to transfer from klia 2 to klia 1

so much hassle. This is a big no no for me.

MAHB should pull their thumbs out and offer free shuttle services between mTB and KLIA2 - including train services.

Maybe what they meant was for the lower yielding ASEAN routes to be moved to KLIA2...

Similar to LHR and LGW ops by BA (yeah, I know they are 38 miles apart!)..

Those leisure flights may not offer business class seats, thus eliminating the need of Golden Lounge KLIA2

J passengers aren't the only ones who have lounge access. Passengers in Y with Enrich/OW status also get lounge access.

I have a bad feeling about this.

In a city with many airports, it is common for a flag carrier to operate in many of them. BA for example, operate in LHR, LGW, LCY and since last month STN, which is the biggest LCC airport in the UK. But then again, MH is nowhere the size of BA and KLIA2/LCCT2 is just merely a terminal sitting next to KLIA/MTB, not spread out like London's 6 airports. Kuala Lumpur is also no London in many parameters (even post Brexit).

With Bellew coming onboard from Ryanair, and all of us here suddenly have a moment of dejavu, the whole idea is just screaming Firefly jet fiasco all over again. Understood all CEOs want to leave a personal mark, but can someone tell him that this one is done and failed and hurt MH badly. The deviation of business direction from Mueller's 12 points plan is faster than the fasting hours in the UK.

Which destinations is defined as leisure? Langkawi? Miri? Tawau? Is MH going to operate to these destinations from both MTB and KLIA2/LCCT2?

As pointed out above, if MH is going to remove some destinations to KLIA2/LCCT2 because it is deemed as "leisure", it will create a problem of connection for passengers.

As mentioned above too, assuming MH will operate these leisure flights with its existing aircraft, the cabin will remain as it is which mean J will still be available and MH may need to provide lounge access for J pax through a 3rd party provider at KLIA2/LCCT2. So what's the "leisure" in it if it is still the same? If MH has a plan for a new sub brand with a single class configuration, then this is Firefly jet fiasco all over again as mentioned above.

With or without Firefly jet v.2, I personally think this will still be a failure for MH. Seriously, you guys just have a profit once in many years why don't just stick to what you have been doing since Mueller took helm?

In the end, all CEOs want to tunjuk pandai and push for their own personal aganda, be it local or foreigners.

And to us, enjoy watching or participating in the circus.

Edit: I would however, support this idea if MH moves its entire operation including its A380 flights to KLIA2/LCCT2 if Bellew is too concern about cost.

I have a bad feeling about this.

Edit: I would however, support this idea if MH moves its entire operation including its A380 flights to KLIA2/LCCT2 if Bellew is too concern about cost.

I think the real reason why MAB needs to operate some flights at klia2 is to remind travellers that there is more than one airline in Malaysia - so Airasia has some company.

Yes, I agree that MAB is still obsessed with Airasia and rather than playing its own game, it is playing interference to Airasia.... The new CEO probably believes that with his Ryanair experience, he can beat them.

Time will tell...

My key issue is MH has gone through this whole LCC path in the past (remember those MH's 0 Fare, snackbox, Firefly jet competing with MH mainline on same routes etc) and they failed miserably.

What makes Bellew or anyone think it will be different this time around?

I don't get it.

"Fool me twice, shame on me" - Hello MH?

Ba operate from lgw was largely result of acquisition of british Caledonian.

There won't be a hassle for O&d pax to use different terminal. What about transit pax? Kul is supposed to be mh's hub providing connection. As a fsc, a large portion of revenue is from transit pax.

Edited by KK Lee

Come on... just give them a chance... AA operated in DFW at three different terminals... let them operate 1st, If it's not working, let's coming back here and bad-mouthing them!

Sign in to follow this