MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
H Azmal

Singapore Airlines plane reportedly catches fire at SIN

The link from Straits Times of Singapore says little else this morning, but the YT video is dated yesterday

Possibly 9V-SWJ? A B773

EDIT: Okay, it's 9V-SWB

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/singapore-airlines-plane-catches-fire-on-changi-airport-runway-no-injuries-reported

SINGAPORE - A Singapore Airlines (SIA) plane caught fire on the runway at Changi Airport on Monday (June 27) morning, after it was forced to return to Singapore due to a fuel leak.

The Straits Times understands that the plane was operating flight SQ368, which departed Changi Airport Terminal 3 for Milan, Italy, at around 2.05am on Monday.

One of the plane's passengers, Ms Lee Bee Yee, 43, said she detected a faint whiff of what smelled like gasoline about two or three hours into the flight.

"The pilot subsequently informed us there was a leak, and that the plane would have to turn back to Changi Airport as it did not have enough fuel for the journey," said Ms Lee, who runs an e-commerce company.

According to Ms Lee, the plane made an emergency landing Changi Airport at around 6.45am. Shortly after landing, the plane's right wing caught fire.

"The blaze was quite fierce and we waited for around two or three minutes before the fire engines arrived," she said.

"All the passengers were surprisingly quite calm."

Photos taken by Ms Lee showed firefighters spraying foam to put out the fire.

All passengers subsequently disembarked from the plane at around 7.20am, she added.

The Straits Times has contacted SIA for more information.

Edited by H Azmal

Looks pretty bad. Good thing that everybody is safe.

Is it just me or B777 seems to have quite a few fire incident recently. It all started with the BA in Las Vegas I think...

9V-SWB should be a 77W, not 773.

Yup, it was 9V-SWB, delivered to Singapore Airlines on November 29, 2006, just over 9.5 years old.

9V-SWF is now ferrying the passengers to MXP as SQ368D.

The BA incident at LAS was B772ER with GE90-85B engines. SQ B77W with GE90-115B engines. Hopefully it is not specific GE issue; if not the whole world B77W fleet will be grounded since GE is sole powerplant for B77W.

SQ has some extra aircraft lying around currently, thus fleet shuffling should not be a problem. A few B7772/ER are going offline soon. Three incidents in a month: A350XWB loss of hydraulic, B772 collision with B773 and this one. Hopefully bad omen will end soon.

On a more personal note, I just hate some of your neighbors down South. If we Malaysians would to be mean, we would have laugh at them for having three incidents in a month, just like what they did to us when MH370 and MH17 crashed. Instead, we pray and wish for the best for them.

Lesson is Karma is a bitch so don't laugh at others, cause the the boomerang will fly back and hit yourself. (Rant over)

Edited by JuliusWong

I think the captain make the decision similar to that of QF32, where at that point of time the safest place for passenger is in the plane.

There is no doubt, evacuation by slide will cause panic and injury. But spread of fire is unpredictable and evacuate a few minutes early could mean life and death for some.

It is a scary moment indeed for just about anyone who have flown before. Having fuel leak mid-air, quickly conjured the image of the Concord air disaster.

Surprisingly there is no call for an urgent evacuation. The fire look quite big. Perhaps the Captain know best as he was at his best position to determine a call is needed or not for an evacuation. It is a good day that no one is hurt.

It is a scary moment indeed for just about anyone who have flown before. Having fuel leak mid-air, quickly conjured the image of the Concord air disaster.

Surprisingly there is no call for an urgent evacuation. The fire look quite big. Perhaps the Captain know best as he was at his best position to determine a call is needed or not for an evacuation. It is a good day that no one is hurt.

I was under the ill-informed presumption that an oil leak triggered the turn back, and sparks from the brakes on landing triggered the fire due to combustion of vaporised fuel being leftover as a result of the mid-air dumping? Edited by Ashley Lee

Was on a QF flight SYD-BNE this morning. After pushed back, the captain made an announcement via PA "as you may notice the right engine has been shut down due to oil leak. The shut down is part of the standard procedure. We are waiting for further 'clearance' (? - can't remember what was the exact wording he used) from the air control tower"

After a couple of minutes on the tarmac, the right engine was back on and we were taxiing to the runway for departure. No further announcement was made by the captain.

I am not sure if there was actually any 'oil leak'. Immediately after the announcement I thought we were going to be towed back to the gate for change of airplane.

Sign in to follow this