MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

AirAsia Renamed KLIA2 to LCCT2

Great stuff! Now that the renaming has been done, all airfares on AK are now 40% cheaper.

nah, they'll just covert the savings to "KLIA2 to LCCT name coversion" fee :)

Edited by Najib Ramli

They have requested all passengers to reprint their boarding pass.

So sorry but this is beyond me now.. Why bother with such name change. All other airlines will call it KLIA2. AK pax will get confused especially to those who rarely travels. It's their loss. Why on earth put on a losing battle, in fact there was no battle at all.

So sorry but this is beyond me now.. Why bother with such name change. All other airlines will call it KLIA2. AK pax will get confused especially to those who rarely travels. It's their loss. Why on earth put on a losing battle, in fact there was no battle at all.

Had Airasia done this when klia2 first opened, it would have been OK - many people had asked about whether klia2 is LCCT2 then. They were confused as to why it was called klia2 and asked if it is part of the MTB.

But nowadays, everyone knows that klia2 is Airasia's main hub.

Edited by flee

Now, their in flight announcements include the phrase "LCCT2, also known as klia2....." :crazy: ::8P:: :rofl:

As per screen grab above, it's LCCT - the one and only :D

AK is full of rhetoric and just doing this for their business sake, if they truly are championing the idea of low cost why cant they offer lowest fares all the time? some even priced higher than full service carrier-what's the logic in that since they offer no complimentary frills

some even priced higher than full service carrier-what's the logic in that since they offer no complimentary frills

Quite a few people would assume flying with AK is the cheapest without checking out the rest or looking at what they would have to pay for extra.

In related news they can probably claim they no longer charge KLIA2 fee, which is not entirely false since it is now called "LCCT fees" or the sort...

Edited by Y. J. Foo

Quite a few people would assume flying with AK is the cheapest without checking out the rest or looking at what they would have to pay for extra.

In related news they can probably claim they no longer charge KLIA2 fee, which is not entirely false since it is now called "LCCT fees" or the sort...

That's why they are adamant in changing klia2 to LCCT. To enhance the smokescreen to pax that they are the lowest in fares. With the name klia2, the difference between them and those at the MTB is blurred

The same method like our beloved leader when dealing with major scandal.

AirAsia to invest RM20mil to promote klia2

PUTRAJAYA: AirAsia will continue to promote klia2 as the Low-Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) with a whopping US$5mil (RM20.08mil) to be spent on its marketing campaign, said group chief executive officer Tan Sri Tony Fernandes.

“In anticipation of more LCCTs (coming up in the future), we will call it LCCT KL, the low cost hub of Asia, and a one-stop to anywhere in Asia at the lowest fare,” he tweeted after meeting Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai in Putrajaya on Wednesday.

AirAsia would not spend the money in Malaysia but in other countries to promote klia2 like Dubai Airport, which is a major transit hub.

He said during the two-hour meeting, the minister had taken note of the airline’s plans to promote klia2 as the regional low-cost hub.

The meeting between Fernandes and Liow was to iron-out issues between AirAsia and airport operator, Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB), which has been locking horns on the name and branding of klia2.

“Very good meeting with Liow and Director General of Civil Aviation Datuk Seri Azharuddin Abdul Rahman. Most important is the acceptance that our terminal is a low-cost hub.

“Important issue is not the name but that it’s promoted inside the terminal and to the world that KLIA has a low-cost hub with low fares,” he said in the micro-blogging site, twitter.

Fernandes was confident that Liow would be able to find a good “win-win” solution for both AirAsia and MAHB.

“The goal is to get more of Asean, Asia and the world to use our low-cost hub. One million (people have travelled through klia2) so far this year. We want to grow that. (This) will be great for the economy,” he added.

Liow had announced earlier that klia2, should not undergo a name change.

However, he assured that the ministry was willing to hear AirAsia’s proposal to position klia2 internationally as a leading low-cost terminal to further enhance the nation’s tourism and aviation sectors.

MAHB managing director Datuk Badlisham Ghazali said earlier that the airport operator would reserve its right to maintain the klia2 brand including resorting to legal action.

On other developments, Fernandes said he discussed the potential of turning the old airport in Malacca into a low-cost terminal.

“We want to use the Malacca airport. We have been so successful with the Langkawi Airport now. But we still haven’t been able to get MAHB to open the (Malacca) airport to us,” he said.

He said AirAsia was about to start the Langkawi-Hong Kong sector and the airline was keen to replicate such initiatives in Malacca. - Bernama

That should be it. Tony and co managed to work their magic on Mr Liow and the DGCA. AirAsia 1 MAHB 0
Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

I guess TF predicts that ASEAN/ Asia will/may soon be flooded with low cost terminals, thus took a quick step to rebrand klia2 it. Furthermore, TF is willing to sink in his own money to do the rebranding.

Actually, I still could not understand till today, why is the terminal for low cost carriers called klia2, when klia is meant for premium carrier. MAHB stated the low cost terminal is part of integrated terminals under KLIA metropolis/ masterplan. Using this explanation, my understanding is the low cost terminal is a "terminal" itself not a separate airport on its own, then why brand it as 'klia2'? should it be called something else inline with Satellite Terminal and Main Terminal Building.....

AirAsia to invest RM20mil to promote klia2

That should be it. Tony and co managed to work their magic on Mr Liow and the DGCA. AirAsia 1 MAHB 0

What did MAHB lose in this case?

I guess TF predicts that ASEAN/ Asia will/may soon be flooded with low cost terminals, thus took a quick step to rebrand klia2 it. Furthermore, TF is willing to sink in his own money to do the rebranding.

Actually, I still could not understand till today, why is the terminal for low cost carriers called klia2, when klia is meant for premium carrier. MAHB stated the low cost terminal is part of integrated terminals under KLIA metropolis/ masterplan. Using this explanation, my understanding is the low cost terminal is a "terminal" itself not a separate airport on its own, then why brand it as 'klia2'? should it be called something else inline with Satellite Terminal and Main Terminal Building.....

klia2 was never intended to be branded as "low cost"

If you read Tony's tweets,he mentioned that Mr Liow accepted that klia2 is a low cost hub and AirAsia will stick with the name LCCT.

On my flight yesterday the crew mentioned "we have arrived at LCCT2, or better known as KLIA2".

If is never the intention to be branded as "low cost", that would prove why TF was fighting tooth and nail to rebrand it to LCCT.

One don't expect a low cost carrier to operate into premium terminal. Why pay for excess facilities when you are not utilizing it efficiently and effectively.

Ironically Changi new T4 meant for budget carrier will be filled with premium carriers and AirAsia Group.

If you read Tony's tweets,he mentioned that Mr Liow accepted that klia2 is a low cost hub and AirAsia will stick with the name LCCT.

I don't know if that's true. I don't think Mr Liow agreed to that. In the article above Tony himself mentioned "The name is not important". But who knows...

If is never the intention to be branded as "low cost", that would prove why TF was fighting tooth and nail to rebrand it to LCCT.

One don't expect a low cost carrier to operate into premium terminal. Why pay for excess facilities when you are not utilizing it efficiently and effectively.

Ironically Changi new T4 meant for budget carrier will be filled with premium carriers and AirAsia Group.

It is a dilemma. If the operator builds it no frills, suddenly you have complaints you have to walk so far? If it was up to Tony, the airport would probably literally be akin to a bus station. Not sure if that's acceptable to Malaysians?

I don't know if that's true. I don't think Mr Liow agreed to that. In the article above Tony himself mentioned "The name is not important". But who knows...

It is a dilemma. If the operator builds it no frills, suddenly you have complaints you have to walk so far? If it was up to Tony, the airport would probably literally be akin to a bus station. Not sure if that's acceptable to Malaysians?

For klia2/t2/lcct2 capacity/size, how far further one could walk?

Edited by KK Lee

I think I have to agree with Jani in this case. It is the Malaysian people who cannot accept the concept of low cost terminal even if they are flying with LCC.

Airasia, however, wanted it to be famous as a low cost hub - like the LCCT was.

KLIA East @ Labu gave us a pretty good idea what they were thinking of. A simple airport with no frills but plenty of connectivity to the rest of the country - with buses, trains, and other public transport.

Yes, Malaysians are a pampered lot - but it would appear that many complain about the long walks and half cut travolators at LCCT2/klia2. However, they still want to fly on Airasia despite all that inconvenience...

Not sure what their message is, really.

Flee, dont you get it? If TF were to go ahead with construction of Labu East i am 1000% sure he will quit halfway, government have to bail it out with taxpayers money, we gonna end up with two different airports so close to each other and it will beat the purpose of positioning KLIA as regional hub. Swear by my stray dog the idea was good but how sincere was TF and KM intention to get it done using AiAsia and Sime Darby's money? They barely got their house in order this quarter, airline business is fragile. How much cash they need to fund such a large infrastructure project? Ironic eh, talking about 'cost is enemy' mantra whilst digging deep into reserve to fund an airport project.

Labu East was never meant to be materialised. Just another dirty cheap tricks by TF to get attention. So does this renaming of LCCT2 whatnots. Dont get me wrong i admire what he did so far in Malaysian aviation but at times he went too far. We're not stupid. But some people still believe their stupid arguments.

I believe at that time, the budgeted cost was RM 1.6b.

klia2 is really bad - I was there last week and some of the taxiway near the skybridge was under repairs and closed. The final cost of klia2 is yet to be tallied. So, it is RM 4b and counting...

Do you know that a big chunk of the increase in cost is because AirAsia changed their mind about the baggage system that they want?

Have you ever wondered why after you exit klia2 baggage claim, there is a slope downwards? A bit weird, no? Does it seem like it was done on purpose? Hm....

Frankly, there is too much politics going on between Airasia and MAHB. So whatever is said can only be taken at face value - these two parties have been fighting ever since I can remember.

However, senior Airasia executives I managed to speak too always say that they are tired of fighting MAHB. They could better use their energy to run the airline.

But if they don't fight, they get steamrollered in typical govt vs people fashion...

Sign in to follow this