MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
RaymondT

MAB Looking at Long-Range Single-Aisle Aircraft

Sources:

http://www2.theedgemarkets.com/en/article/malaysia-airlines-looking-narrowbody-jets-fleet-expansion

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU1605/S00914/malaysia-airlines-shows-continued-progress-over-q1-2016.htm

With the commonality the 737NG have with the 737MAX, that looks like a natural choice. But I can't help to think than the A321NEO would be a far more capable NB airliner.

I wonder if they will consider the same new J products as they do now on the A330 with their future long-range narrow body planes.

Well, the obvious candidate is the A321neo LR. It has the range and payload capacity for MAB's regional routes. It will complement the A330 on thinner routes.

The B737 Max 9 is less capable, but with rumours of Boeing developing a more capable Max 10, that may be another option.

Crew training and MRO resources should not be a problem. MAB can handle both Airbus or Boeing aircraft without too much difficulty.

Edited by flee

Boeing will fight tooth and nails to retain Malaysia Airlines as their narrow body customer. Airbus would need to throw in a huge incentive for MAB to switch to Airbus. Boeing has been losing its SEA market share since LCC booms in this region.

Not forgetting, politics. Malaysia needs to balance EU and US business relationship.

With recent joint venture with Lufthansa Technik that capable for A320 maintenance, I am not suprised to hear that they will opt for A321neoLR. As MAB is more towards Airbus fleet in following years

Airbus people are a bit worried so they called B737 MAX10 as "Mad Max". If MAB management is smart, they could be a launch customer.

For legacy airline to optimize yield, it needs to match demand with supply i.e. have a mix fleet. Currently, there is a gap of over 130 seats between between 738 and A333. Believe MH need to have aircraft size at about 220 seats to serve route that is too big for A333 else MH's yield is unlikely to improve.

Edited by KK Lee

Sources:

http://www2.theedgemarkets.com/en/article/malaysia-airlines-looking-narrowbody-jets-fleet-expansion

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU1605/S00914/malaysia-airlines-shows-continued-progress-over-q1-2016.htm

With the commonality the 737NG have with the 737MAX, that looks like a natural choice. But I can't help to think than the A321NEO would be a far more capable NB airliner.

I wonder if they will consider the same new J products as they do now on the A330 with their future long-range narrow body planes.

If it's going to be the A321NEO-LR, i would love to see MH to introduce something like JetBlue Mint Cabin..

Outgoing Malaysia Air Chief Defends Cuts, Mulls Final Jet Order

• Mueller says his successor must stick with recovery strategy
  • Last act may be long-haul narrow-body deal, with A321 leading

Report:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-07/outgoing-malaysia-air-chief-defends-cuts-mulls-final-jet-order

The job cut was a painful pill to swallow. No past CEO has been able to do so successfully except CM. You can only shrink and grow again in future when opportunity comes in order to survive in current competitive environment. The government must have realised MAS was too big of a giant to continue its operation in old ways thus privatized it and shut it down to start new. All eyes were on them.

Whether CM is leaving for personal reason or political interference, we will never know. We should give credit to him and his team for reviving our national carrier.

As for long haul medium narrowbody, the only aircraft in the market now is A321neoLR. It will be a coup if MAB swings to Airbus. Perhaps Boeing can make a sweet deal for their new B737MAX-10 to have MAB as launch customer.

As for long haul medium narrowbody, the only aircraft in the market now is A321neoLR. It will be a coup if MAB swings to Airbus. Perhaps Boeing can make a sweet deal for their new B737MAX-10 to have MAB as launch customer.

I think the "long haul" narrowbody is meant to take over some of the routes currently operated by the A333s. They are also planning to open new routes to secondary destinations in China and other destinations within the range of the aircraft.

I would think that the A321neo would be more suitable in view of the trained pool of A333 pilots. The A321neo is also more capable in terms of performance and it can accommodate cargo containers - something that MAB may need.

The B737-9Max is a little bit more complicated. Its performance may not be so good when you go to hot and/or high altitude destinations - e.g. Chengdu. However, if Boeing can cut a super duper deal for the B737-9Max, MAB might just bite...

Edited by flee

Whether CM is leaving for personal reason or political interference, we will never know.

I would almost certainly be for actual personal circumstances that is the cause. Either that or he is just extremely careful with his words and what he emphasise to the press. It is just unfortunate as his coming on board, personally gave me confidence that MAB has some chance of improvement.

I think the "long haul" narrowbody is meant to take over some of the routes currently operated by the A333s. They are also planning to open new routes to secondary destinations in China and other destinations within the range of the aircraft.

I would think that the A321neo would be more suitable in view of the trained pool of A333 pilots. The A321neo is also more capable in terms of performance and it can accommodate cargo containers - something that MAB may need.

The B737-9Max is a little bit more complicated. Its performance may not be so good when you go to hot and/or high altitude destinations - e.g. Chengdu. However, if Boeing can cut a super duper deal for the B737-9Max, MAB might just bite...

That is also what I took away from his comments as well, to swap some routes with A333 to have smaller capacities but more frequencies, as well as to open new thin and long routes.

A321neo would be the better choice between the A & B. Even if B comes out with their supposed B737-Max10, A can easily come out with an A322neo that would give more commonality between A321neo and A322neo than what the B737-Max9 and Max10 could (as B's proposed design would use a different engine). Not to mention that A already has a double wheeled main landing gear option for the A320 series which will be useful for the A322neo which would be heavier.

At existing mh narrow body seat pitch, not sure many travellers will be happy to travel for 6 to 8 hours. Beside, 3 toilet at the back could be a long wait at times.

American airlines has 3 classes on their A321

At existing mh narrow body seat pitch, not sure many travellers will be happy to travel for 6 to 8 hours. Beside, 3 toilet at the back could be a long wait at times.

This is one problem I experienced on a flight to Hong Kong

The line went up 1/3 of the isle

Sign in to follow this