MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ja Singh

Why is MH aircraft so badly trashed

Flew syd/Bkk on a 10 year old QF A330 then Air india 787 Bkk/ Del followed by del/Ccu on Jet airways,then ccu/kul Air asia and last MH A330 kul akl.

I noted that MH 3/4 years old plane (MTH/MTM) was not in the best shape as far as cabin was concerned. the toilet coverings were all peeling or peeled off,flush was duck taped to max haphazardly and seat cushions were sticking out and carpet had soil marks on it.On the seat next to me the cushion wasn't even properly put on as it did seem a tight fit and some one left it half done with the white bit showing.The QF plane (despite yellowish ceiling due age) had no such wear and tear issues in the toilets and carpets looked much cleaner too.

The toilet very dark colors and dark floor colors did not help.The wooden galley flooring looked as tho its days were over.

Edited by jadivindra

Their A380s are in similar state. Its sad to see such a relatively new aircraft are bing neglected.

Even the 738s you can see patches of uncleaned dust all over the aircond nozzles. I myself wiped them clean so i wont inhale the dusts. Flew a380 on J during the Umrah charters, once you expand the seat to full flat mode, you can see peanuts and food remnants in the seats... Yuck! One thing never change, the golden touch of cabin crew and pilots....

Maybe they should relook into the contract for cleaning...i find we malaysian a bit "cin cai" with our work...we are not like Koreans...Taiwanese or Japanese...they take pride in their work...even it means collecting rubbish. I may be over generalise here...but I hope teachers...including myself can instill this self pride in our future generations...take pride in whatever you do...don't take it for granted...make sure you do the best...

In helping to put back the seat cover fully I had to remove seat cushion and found a peanut packet too.It was unopened fortunately. I think kenneth youre right that the cleaning contract needs to be changed.There was a recent trip report from australia where the reporter (who was invited by MH) reported seeing a big rat on board A330 business class. At that time couples of month back I thought he was just being picky because its MH but I understand now.

Hope they really get down to cleaning their a/c wel or get a better contractor.

Edited by jadivindra

In helping to put back the seat cover fully I had to remove seat cushion and found a peanut packet too.It was unopened fortunately. I think kenneth youre right that the cleaning contract needs to be changed.There was a recent trip report from australia where the reporter (who was invited by MH) reported seeing a big rat on board A330 business class. At that time couples of month back I thought he was just being picky because its MH but I understand now.

Hope they really get down to cleaning their a/c wel or get a better contractor.

That's a safety hazard.

MH Aircraft has been very dirty. Just look at the finger marks on the overhead bins. In addition, all the dust clinging to the air conditioning vents.

If you look at the seats, seat pockets and also the seat trays, you can see how filthy it is. Hopefully, MAB will take heed and make immediate improvements.

At one time, not sure about now, mh aircraft cleaning contract is given to a few companies. Each company is responsible for particular aircrafts. Some of these contract was a reward for certain duty done and some of these Contract won't be renewed. Hence, different level of cleanliness.

Recently I flew A380 from LHR-KUL. You can see a thick layer of dust on the bins above. Coffee stains on the tray. So I imagine cleaning would have been done in Heathrow too. Does it mean that both cleaning in LHR and KUL were equally bad? Or something in the cleaning contract that stipulated only minimal cleaning only be done at LHR?

I flew on -MLI KUL-PEN in seat 5A earlier in the month and the safety card holder was held together with duct tape, looked terrible I very nearly took a photo of it, it appeared to of been that way for sometime.

Also PER-KUL on -MTL the rear lavatory had duct tape on the cupboard under the basin.

Maybe they should relook into the contract for cleaning...i find we malaysian a bit "cin cai" with our work...we are not like Koreans...Taiwanese or Japanese...they take pride in their work...even it means collecting rubbish. I may be over generalise here...but I hope teachers...including myself can instill this self pride in our future generations...take pride in whatever you do...don't take it for granted...make sure you do the best...

Diligence at work is severely lacking in Malaysians. I note that even in a small place like Macau, professionalism is high - e.g. bus drivers will never open their bus doors until it arrives at a proper bus stop.

I tend to blame parents more than teachers for failing to bring up their kids properly.

It's a Malaysian culture. And it's not only planes. Buildings too. They look splendid during opening, but rotten after a few years.

It's a Malaysian culture. And it's not only planes. Buildings too. They look splendid during opening, but rotten after a few years.

Spot on. I hope CM will take note of this and chemo away that cell in MAB. The rampant duct tape solution on MAB planes need to be stopped. What have be been reduced to? Biman?

Diligence at work is severely lacking in Malaysians. I note that even in a small place like Macau, professionalism is high - e.g. bus drivers will never open their bus doors until it arrives at a proper bus stop.

I tend to blame parents more than teachers for failing to bring up their kids properly.

Cleaners may have done a bad job. Who at mh is supposed to sign off? Either cleaning company is ignoring mh, receiving didn't bother to check or both?

klia2 already looks rotten during opening. May God help us 20 years down the line

can easily see an Air Asia plane is better cleaned and maintained. MAS dirty planes ie the exterior with blackened water marks and esp at the tail end is a constant sight even before it changed its parent name - and seems like nothing have changed - dirty exteriors, and dirty interiors and at times even the top of the sides lights dont work and not replaced.

and even dare not think about how is their technical maintenancework done on the aircrafts and whether there's any techincal audit on how the maintenance are carried out according to the maintenance regimes and manufacturers' directives. Been on a few MAS aircrafts in the last 2 years with a fairly high incident of the APUs not working and hence very stuffy interiors and longer engine starts.

But KLIA is a Malaysian made product whereas Airbus/Boeing/ATR are European/American made. Why the duct tapes? Is it the aircraft less durable now as manufacturers seek ways to cut cost?

But KLIA is a Malaysian made product whereas Airbus/Boeing/ATR are European/American made. Why the duct tapes? Is it the aircraft less durable now as manufacturers seek ways to cut cost?

MacGyver solution.

Sorry to hear about your predicament.

I agree with the comment on professionalism and taking pride in task you are required to do. MAB needs to step up to the game should they really want to re-invent themselves and compete with others, since they are now reduced to a regional player only.

It is not surprising actually to find MAS aircraft is such sad situation. Back then when I used to fly MH a lot, you could see a lot of dust air con vent, duct tape on tray tables, toilet and seats (it was B734 in final years of operation, but it doesn't give them an excuse not to maintain it). B772ER as well. As a comparison, LH maintain their fleet in tip-top condition even though the fleet is slated for retirement few months down the road. (they even got their B735 and B733 in new cabin + slimline seats despite impending retirement). This will somehow influence the market value of the company's aircraft should they put them for sale.

Singapore Airlines and Lufthansa aircraft tend to command a high second hand value,be it by airlines or scrappers. Airlines/ Scrappers will scramble to buy or lease aircraft released by either one of them. Remember Delta Airlines mentioning buying a B772 at 7million USD few months ago? I guess we have an answer now. Delta Airlines recently bought ex-MH B772ER 9M-MRH, now re-registered as N318MY for parts. QF engineers found the two ex-MH B744s (VH-OEC, VH-OED) they bought were in such a sad state they spent months in maintenance due to fuselage crack and were subsequently a headache for the crew to operate.

It is no wonder media and the general public will take every opportunity to bash Malaysia Airlines when something unpleasant comes up, no matter how small the matter is. I would rather spend more than getting whole spectrum of back operation in place, instead on spending time and money in making video how "great" my airline is when the real scenario is very much different.

Our "tak apa attitude" culture is surely killing our country slowly......

Cleaners may have done a bad job. Who at mh is supposed to sign off? Either cleaning company is ignoring mh, receiving didn't bother to check or both?

100% agree

Have been using MH a lot for my weekly SG trips due to good prices and was thinking the same thing. Personally I'm appalled at the state of the interiors and you can see huge dirt marks on the ceiling where somebody has run a cloth over part of it quickly and left most of the dirt. in addition the seats/trays/windows are often dirty.

How come MI's old A320's are much cleaner :)

Don't think this is a culture or Malaysian thing... look around some of the better managed shopping malls e.g. Sunway, Mid Valley, Suria.. Do you see this lackadaisical maintenance culture? Or some of the better managed hotels.. you can see the quality and standards are maintained.

The problem is just bad management..

Edited by jit

Sign in to follow this